NHL's head of creative content: Steve Mayer

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Audioboom: NHL Executive Suite

Great hour+ podcast with Steve Mayer, the NHL's Chief Content Officer.

He's the guy with the ideas and helps tweak the ideas to get the league's "tent pole" events' presentation the best they can be. He also works with the 31 teams in the league to help them improve their game presentations, and best practice sharing.

Enjoyable 66 minutes.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I don't know if it's related, but the past year and a half or so, the youtube channel for the NHL has grown leaps and boundaries.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for him, if it is Steve helping to handle the league's Youtube account and making it better then good on him. I'd say Youtube is one of the top websites on the internet. If you have a good Youtube Channel then that helps your company a lot.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Didn't listen, maybe later.

BUT, all home openers must have player introductions without helmets!

But it seems all teams or most continue to introduce their players wearing helmets. So stupid, as home openers are often the highest rated game until the playoffs. Great chance to showcase the players, and they blow it!

Even in the Final when NBC/NBCSN showed the starting lineup for the first home game in each city (and then each game beyond?), players continued to wear helmets, except Vladimir Tarasenko, who continued to not wear a helmet, the only player not to.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
BUT, all home openers must have player introductions without helmets!

Part of that is related to the rules the NHL and NHLPA imposed to keep players safe (by wearing helmets) while on the ice.

Some players (especially those with enough seniority to be grandfathered in before the visor rule) may choose to not wear helmets during warm up. But IMHO it's only a matter of time before the insurance companies push hard enough that the league and union agree to wear helmets all the time.

I haven't kept up with the rule book to know when the rule (like the AHL has) that when a player loses their lid they have to go to the bench (immediately) will be implemented.

Yes, during the anthem(s), the players take off their helmets, but that's a very limited time frame.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Could they have 1 graphics format across all games like the Euro leagues do?

It’s always crazy to see different broadcasts over in Europe depending on the game, it seems so bush league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

It’s always crazy to see different broadcasts over in Europe depending on the game, it seems so bush league.

Nationally, it does as there's a single carrier.

For local coverage, there are at least 3 different regional carriers (NBC, Fox, AT&T, etc.), and game graphics are the same for each major carrier. But the carriers don't use the same graphics, much less the location of the scoreboard.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Nationally, it does as there's a single carrier.

For local coverage, there are at least 3 different regional carriers (NBC, Fox, AT&T, etc.), and game graphics are the same for each major carrier. But the carriers don't use the same graphics, much less the location of the scoreboard.

Premiership in the U.K. has multiple broadcasters domestically, visual product is uniform there and around the globe.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Just so I'm understanding this correctly - it bothers you that different teams/networks have different on-screen graphics for their broadcasts?

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Just so I'm understanding this correctly - it bothers you that different teams/networks have different on-screen graphics for their broadcasts?
somewhat relatedly ... i find some MLB broadcasts easier than others to quickly see status/play in the side graphics. that 'new' little icon with the four bases either white or yellow indicating players on base is helpful when i walk in and out of the room. no biggie, but yeah, i get how the layout itself might be more or less preferable for people. for NHL games, some stations display the powerplay differently, so yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad