NHLPA agrees to realignment

The Fuhr*

Our division just got tougher :rant:

New-Lg.png

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Other then Boston, we match up pretty good against any of those teams.

I guess that means it's now 3 games vs outside our division games.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wouldn't say it got that much tougher

Detroit isn't the powerhouse it used to be (remains a very good team), Florida seems to be back to sucking after last year and Tampa has no defense

The Fuhr*

I wouldn't say it got that much tougher

Detroit isn't the powerhouse it used to be (remains a very good team), Florida seems to be back to sucking after last year and Tampa has no defense

For one year ya but a lot of those teams are in the middle of adding tons of youth like the Sens too.

Tampa - Has a sick farm system with there good young team
Detroit - Big market with a strong farm system... this is a team that could be like the Rangers and sign big names like Perry.
Florida - Has one of the best farm teams in the league and will be adding another elite talent at the draft

Those three teams added in with Boston and Montreal... in 2-3 years this division is going to be insane

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So how is this different than the re-alignment that the NHL proposed last year, that the NHLPA refused to implement?

There is a "crossover" i.e if we finish 5th in our division, but with more points than the 4th place team in the NYR's division, then we play in the Atlantic/patrick playoffs

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not sure if I'm super excited about Detroit being a division rival or scared. Now we'll have to deal with a ton of Wings fans in SBP on a regular basis. I could see myself hating that team in the very near future.

TheOriginalSilf*

This division will be the NHL equivalent of the AL East in the MLB in only a matter of several years.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Still not a fan of the 16 vs 14 thing, but whatever I guess.

Also, which conference actually got weaker?...

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Still not a fan of the 16 vs 14 thing, but whatever I guess.

Also, which conference actually got weaker?...

There's going to be an expansion sooner than later in my opinion so it'll be 16 - 16. Then probably another re-alignement.

Quebec, Seattle, Markham, Hamilton, etc. Alot of possibilities

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So how is this different than the re-alignment that the NHL proposed last year, that the NHLPA refused to implement?

I think TSN or CBC did a graphic earlier when this was first proposed (might be mentioned in the last thread). But I think it boils down to where Detroit and Columbus ended up and it might even have had only 14 in the east in the last one.

I think that in terms of rivals, this is a fairly decent setup, though Chicago loses all O6 teams but still has St. Louis for geographic.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sure Canuck fans will still complain about how the schedule is unfair to them.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I'm still not sure if I like this or not. I guess we'll see how it goes..

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Don't really understand all the main board whining about how "unfair" it is that the East has two conferences of 8 teams. If you only have four spots to get into the playoffs in each division, and you all play 82 games, then who cares if two divisions only have seven teams. I'm sure mathematically the odds of getting in are slightly lower for teams in the East, but realistically does it really make that much of a difference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad