Pre-Game Talk: [#NHL24Playoff]: Canucks vs Wild - Play In Rounds. [Best of 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What we don’t know is what kind of impact COVID will have on all this. Just look at MLS for an example of what can happen. The Whitecaps were supposed to play Dallas today. Dallas has had to pull out of the tournament due to being ravaged by COVID. And they were doing the bubble setup in a hub city too I believe.

Luckily the NHL chose Canadian cities that aren’t anywhere close to the hot spots some of the US cities have been, but the concern remains.

I also haven’t been told if my opinion of this series is allowed. Can a mod clear that up? I’d like to know if I’m allowed to have my opinion of this series, or if my thoughts are against the rules.

Reactions: Didalee Hed

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Has Pettersson skated in Sweden all this time while others have sat in lockdown? It seems to me that perhaps the Swedish players in this league might have an advantage this post season if that is the case.

I listened to something recently, for the life of me I can't remember exactly what, I think it may have been 1040 with Rick Dhaliwal guest hosting.

Anyway he said Pettersson was quoted as saying "this is the longest I've been off skates in a long time, but it won't take me long to get back into game shape. "

I remember hearing it and thinking "huh, hopefully that's not an issue," because I know I've heard other reports of Markstrom and other Swedes getting a lot of ice time during the pandemic.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I listened to something recently, for the life of me I can't remember exactly what, I think it may have been 1040 with Rick Dhaliwal guest hosting.

Anyway he said Pettersson was quoted as saying "this is the longest I've been off skates in a long time, but it won't take me long to get back into game shape. "

I remember hearing it and thinking "huh, hopefully that's not an issue," because I know I've heard other reports of Markstrom and other Swedes getting a lot of ice time during the pandemic.

Heard the same but thought it was on CanucksConvo podcast or Vancast? Apparently Pettersson had mentioned it on his zoomcast.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Heard the same but thought it was on CanucksConvo podcast or Vancast? Apparently Pettersson had mentioned it on his zoomcast.

I've definitely listened to both of those recently so it very well could have been. Actually I'm leaning Vancast now because I'm sure I can hear Drance saying it.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Vegas Knight want to say hi.

It is not just about the names on the back, it is about structure and how the forward come back to support their D. I am not saying Canucks do a great job on this but Vegas has proven you do not need to have a super star on D to go far.

As a fan I will have hope that the team and coaching staff can come up with a plan to defend against the Wild. Regardless it will be a valuable experience for the entire team and will help them next year when they make the playoffs again.

this is where Beagle will earn his $ imo.

I see this as a no-lose series from a team development pov. They win and thats a huge confidence and experience boost. Lose and retain a mid-1st round pick. And I say mid-round because I've seen all of Bettmans career in the NHL and know there's no chance in hell Vancouver gets awarded the 1st oa.

Reactions: Sneezy

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Consensus seems to be that the Wild have a far superior blueline to the Canucks, but I'm just not seeing it. Edler, Tanev and Myers are guys with a lot of high-pressure playoff experience; and the Wild haven't got a single guy on their blueline who brings what Hughes brings to the table every night.

As group the Wild might play a better system, but I just don't see the gap between them and the Canucks being as wide as many are claiming.

Tanev has played like 15 playoff games across his ~10 year career?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
We're going to go as far as our stars take us. Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, and Markstrom will have the spotlight on them.

A lot of our young players have come up big in pressure situations in the past.

Pettersson - SHL Championship and playoff MVP
Boeser - NCAA championship
Horvat - Memorial Cup and excellent in 2015 playoffs.
Gaudette - Beanpot championship

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s good to have some experience on the roster, but our best players for the most part are as yet untested - Pettersson, Hughes, Markstrom and Boeser. I’m confident they can rise to the occasion, and it’s going to be really interesting to see how they do.

Also curious to see how Horvat does. He had a strong playoff debut in his rookie season - wonder if he comes in hungry since there’s been 5 years between appearances for him.

Flames fan I recall said he was our best player in that series and even better then Monahan.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Pettersson is going to dominate. Playoffs are his jam, and after watching him in the SHL, I’m more than ready to defend my prediction

Reactions: 6oeser

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Pettersson is going to dominate. Playoffs are his jam, and after watching him in the SHL, I’m more than ready to defend my prediction

I agree. I would also add Horvat to that list - I just see him turning it up physically and emotionally

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Virtanen being "on" could take over for stints too. I remember a lot of Hitmen highlights during playoff time.

Miller might not have another gear (although New York and Tampa Bay fans will probably correct me) but he's being been playing a gear higher then I expected all season.

Edler was a force in the last few in person playoff games I attended.

I mean...Myers is a +1 on some teams that got bounced in the playoffs and played some big minutes.

Markstrom and Hughes seem to be the only major pieces that doesn't have a storied history in high pressure tournaments I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad