NHL20 has a racism problem

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This has been a problem in EASHL since 2009 when I first started playing, but it's been a general problem since the day I started playing Xbox Live. Playing Counter Strike in 2003/2004 you'd here A LOT of that stuff. Sometimes it'd be little 12 year old kids saying it, sometimes it'd be people sounding way older.

There should be a report feature where you can screenshot the person's gamertag and username and send it in to EA. Even for them, I don't think it'll be too much too handle.

In one of the very first public promo of EASHL (in 09), they showed a guy named Bill Cosby (before Bill was found guilty of all the rape..) and how that guy looked was a persistent caricature for racists that continue to this day in EASHL.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
In one of the very first public promo of EASHL (in 09), they showed a guy named Bill Cosby (before Bill was found guilty of all the rape..) and how that guy looked was a persistent caricature for racists that continue to this day in EASHL.

I remember tons of people would create their pro as the really dark black guy with the huge nose and lips and then give them blonde dreads. Not sure if you can still do that in 20 or not.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I remember tons of people would create their pro as the really dark black guy with the huge nose and lips and then give them blonde dreads. Not sure if you can still do that in 20 or not.

Then there's this one really dark black guy with the huge nose and lips with blonde dreads trying to recreate himself and gets called out as racist :sarcasm:

Don't worry I get that if it's a trend it's not just one black guy recreating himself but it will be really hard to hack down this type of stuff online...

The keywords though like "Sex Slave" "Nhiggers" "Terrorists" should probably be at LEAST flagged and looked at.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah playing World of Chel can be frustrating but I don't get all too bothered because I'm sure it's just a bunch of 8-14 year olds trying to be as edgy and offensive as possible. Of course there's a wider problem there that they think that being so is funny when really it just furthers the normalization of racial insensitivity. Not to say it's not racism but as has been said in this thread, it's the cloak of invisibility of being online and a bunch of edgelord kids.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
being racist is the big taboo of our civilization, so of course the trolls will cling to it to feel rebelious. I do worry that if they do it enough on the internet, that it could make them bolder about it in real life.

Hopefully EA does something about it on their platforms at least. Having filters isn't enough, and the fast majority of people hate seeing that garbage

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah playing World of Chel can be frustrating but I don't get all too bothered because I'm sure it's just a bunch of 8-14 year olds trying to be as edgy and offensive as possible. Of course there's a wider problem there that they think that being so is funny when really it just furthers the normalization of racial insensitivity. Not to say it's not racism but as has been said in this thread, it's the cloak of invisibility of being online and a bunch of edgelord kids.
The problem is that these kids learned that behavior somewhere. 13 year olds don't just become racist out of nowhere, its generally learned from their parents. If they think its funny to openly say this stuff online, all they are doing is just publicly broadcasting everything that their family says at home behind closed doors.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
This has been an issue since the advent of online gaming. You have your regular dyed-in-the-wool racists, and then you have the other 90% of people who grew up surrounded by an internet culture that put cynical, nihilistic, ironic humour and personalities on a pedestal. Encyclopedia Dramatica and 4chan basically made every racial slur cool, edgy, and hip, not to mention assholery in general.
The "n" word in particular became a catchphrase for trolls and wannabe internet heroes. Not surprised it's still being bandied about. Going to take a generation or two to get rid of that legacy.

Can someone please make this story go viral so that EA finally does something to improve their product for the first time in like 10 years?

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The problem is that these kids learned that behavior somewhere. 13 year olds don't just become racist out of nowhere, its generally learned from their parents. If they think its funny to openly say this stuff online, all they are doing is just publicly broadcasting everything that their family says at home behind closed doors.
I'm sure that's very true in many cases but I don't know how I feel agreeing to the full extent because some of these names are horrific beyond what I could reasonably expect of any modern racist. I think for some, sure, it's an extension of the home's attitude. But for others it could just as easily be an extension of being rebellious and subordinate and just wanting to be a maximum troll online without fear of punishment. To some kids, the opportunity to identify what is the most sensitive topics and say or do things to agitate on those grounds is inherently amusing. I mean there's a reason why there's this fear of a child learning swear words, because for many, once they do they'll use them with glee just cause they know they're not supposed to. That doesn't excuse the behavior one bit, nor does it change that EA has ignored a problem that has been going on too long. But given that they have ignored it, I had to contextualize what was going on in order to play online EANHL without feeling overly uncomfortable. Feeling that "it's just edgy kids, nothing I can do about it" was how I could do it.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
upload_2020-6-10_1-45-2.jpeg

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
being racist is the big taboo of our civilization, so of course the trolls will cling to it to feel rebelious. I do worry that if they do it enough on the internet, that it could make them bolder about it in real life.

Hopefully EA does something about it on their platforms at least. Having filters isn't enough, and the fast majority of people hate seeing that garbage

This. The harder the boneheads in charge try to clamp down on it, the more of it you will get.

Reactions: PatrikBerglund

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This. The harder the boneheads in charge try to clamp down on it, the more of it you will get.

Being a bonehead would involve not clamping down on it, so you should probably rephrase, so we don't get the wrong idea from your post.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I haven’t played a video game in probably 20 years and obviously not an online gamer so I’m not sure exactly how these things work, but wouldn’t it be more effective in taking the wind out of the sails of these players if you could ignore playing them rather than them being kicked out altogether?

I’m sure a lot of these idiots aren’t actually racist, they just think they are being funny. If no one will play with them they’ll probably change their names so they can keep playing.
I don’t know just my thoughts. Maybe I’m wrong.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I haven’t played a video game in probably 20 years and obviously not an online gamer so I’m not sure exactly how these things work, but wouldn’t it be more effective in taking the wind out of the sails of these players if you could ignore playing them rather than them being kicked out altogether?

I’m sure a lot of these idiots aren’t actually racist, they just think they are being funny. If no one will play with them they’ll probably change their names so they can keep playing.
I don’t know just my thoughts. Maybe I’m wrong.

Dude, that involves, you know, work, effort, and group thinking. EA doesn't like doing that at their job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad