NHL Willing to Negotiate with NO Linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
On The Score's ticker it is reporting that Bill Daly has told Steve Kouleas(sp), that the NHL is willing to negotiate a salary cap with no linkage. Both Daly and Saskins will have 1-on-1 interviews at 6ET on The Score. At least this may be some compromise on the NHL's part, but let's see how high they are willing to go with the cap.

Last edited:

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Finnigan said:
On The Score's ticker it is reporting that Bill Daly has told Steve Kouleas(sp), taht the NHL is willing to negotiate a slary cap with no linkage. Both Daly and Saskins will have 1-on-1 interviews at 6ET on The Score. At least this may be some compromise on the NHL's part, but let's see how high they are willing to go with the cap.

dont tell me the NHL is caving... well i hope there is still a cap... now if the players can get the owners to agree to revenue sharing lets drop the puck!@

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Finnigan said:
On The Score's ticker it is reporting that Bill Daly has told Steve Kouleas(sp), that the NHL is willing to negotiate a salary cap with no linkage. Both Daly and Saskins will have 1-on-1 interviews at 6ET on The Score. At least this may be some compromise on the NHL's part, but let's see how high they are willing to go with the cap.

I dont have it in me anymore to be optimistic.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Na I don't think they're caving. Didn't somebody already say they'd try to force something the PA would want no parts of and then offer a much more palatable option?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Owners are Caving??? :eek:

Doesnt matter though..if NHLPA doesnt put up another proposal the season is done(even though it pretty much is)

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Reilly311 said:
The owners are caving.... :shakehead

Nope. Just means, if true,that they were willing to give up linkage to get a cap.

As they've always said, if the players take a cap everything's negotiable. Some haven't paid much attention to those repeated statements, but they're a mater of public record.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Finnigan said:

Daly was also on MOJO radio today saying the league would have accepted the leagues 24% rollback for two years before those four triggers would be in place. The NHL is hitting the NHLPA leadership hard for their percieved lack of negotiations.

Word is that the NHLPA will deliver a proposal in the next 24-48 hours and that it will be their original proposal (Dec. 9) for four years and then after that if the players salaries exceed 58% of revenue the leagues Jan. 3 proposal kicks in for the last four years.

I hope its true.

Crazy Lunatic

It's nothing new. Daly said that a LONG time ago. He even said the NHL would be willing to negotiate a luxury tax at a high threshold but the union had no interest in it.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Far be it from me to tell the players what to do, but no linkage is a bad deal for the players. It might take a few years, but eventually league revenues will grow and when it does they'll be missing out on their share of the money.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Finnigan said:
i will believe it when i see it officially signed
dr

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Finnigan said:

sorry for being dense, but i've never gotten the linkage thing. does this have anything to do with hard/soft cap? is it a move toward the player's deember proposal?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
StanTheMan said:
sorry for being dense, but i've never gotten the linkage thing. does this have anything to do with hard/soft cap? is it a move toward the player's deember proposal?

I think it means a salary cap that would move.

so if league revenues went down, the cap's ceiling would drop as well(Sub 30 million perhaps) on the flip side if the league revenues increase because of parity, then the cap would also increase(dunno for sure).

then again that's what I've pieced it together to mean, correct me if I'm wrong.
this would be a static cap, set at say 38 million and whether the NHL makes 1 cent in revenue or 1 trillion dollars, the cap would be at 38 million.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
StanTheMan said:
Linkage just means the Cap would move from year to year based on revenue. Otherwise the cap is set at a number and stays there for the duration of the CBA.

Last edited:

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
so is linkage in place good for the owners or players? I suspect the owners based on what I am seeing but if revenues increase nicely wouldnt that be good for the players?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
CarlRacki said:
Far be it from me to tell the players what to do, but no linkage is a bad deal for the players. It might take a few years, but eventually league revenues will grow and when it does they'll be missing out on their share of the money.

The players don't care. By the time this happens, their careers will be over and it will be the younger generation that will suffer. By the current union doesn't care about them.

Anyways, I remember that some players (JR I know for sure) have said they would accept a cap not liked to revenues.

Give it to them. A cap with revenue sharing will fix the league.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Peter said:
Word is that the NHLPA will deliver a proposal in the next 24-48 hours and that it will be their original proposal (Dec. 9) for four years and then after that if the players salaries exceed 58% of revenue the leagues Jan. 3 proposal kicks in for the last four years.

I hope its true.

Not from Eklund I hope...

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Peter said:
Daly was also on MOJO radio today saying the league would have accepted the leagues 24% rollback for two years before those four triggers would be in place. The NHL is hitting the NHLPA leadership hard for their percieved lack of negotiations.

I hope its true.

Just skimmed it, but I believe this is roughly the "rumor" of the blogger formerly welcome here, so I hope you have another source.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Digger12 said:
I'm thinking that's exactly where it came from.
not from his site, anyway - ive been there. he says something about an 8 year deal, first 4 years would be the players offer - if it goes over 58% then they owe the teams the money back after four years, it would be in escrow. i think the cap with no linkage sounds more reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad