NHL Vegas wants to buy AHL team and move it to LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Looking on Google for further information on the Wolves ownership, Levin and/or Meyers may be "of an age" they need to focus on their estate planning. Without heirs who want to run the team, it may behoove them to sell to Foley (et al).

Not saying that is the case, just that it may be part of the equation.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The only way this happens is if the Knights overpay big time for the Wolves, as it's not like they could force them to move without owning the team directly. The Wolves have a solid and deep local ownership with an entrenched fanbase, they're staying unless Vegas makes them a non-violent offer that they can't refuse, and even if that happens Rosemont then becomes the new frontrunner for another AHL franchise.

As for Rockford, they're very tight with the Hawks and it's an insanely easy place to send up and down prospects. Rosement is closer, but let's just say that the relationship between the two groups is still frayed so I highly doubt any amicable partnership there. The only alternative that would make sense for Chicago would be to promote their ECHL squad in Indianapolis to further entrench their foothold in that state, but I'm not sure that has a viable enough of a return compared to the longer travel time for prospects.

I'm sure that the Knights want a closer affiliate, but I'm not seeing the Wolves or the Hogs being on the chopping block of relocation for doing so. Maybe their next affiliate when this one ends.

Last edited:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Does ANYONE believe the AHL would let one of their top teams in attendance and revenue move to a city with an NHL team? That experiment in San Jose ain't doing well, so why would the AHL take such a high risk, low reward gamble by moving the Wolves?

Yes.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So I read how Calgary is looking to re-locate the Stockton Heat, but I think Calgary should sell their AHL Team to Vegas and take over the Chicago Wolves.

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
The Wolves will not move to Vegas. However, the affiliate of the VGK could end up moving to Vegas. *IF* Vegas were to acquire their own AHL team, it would probably involve Calgary whenever their bridge deal with Stockton is finished. The Blackhawks and Rockford have had a strong relationship for many years and the Blackhawks and Wolves have not been friendly for even longer. If an AHL team lands in Vegas, this would be the most likely scenario...

Calgary - Affiliates with the Chicago Wolves. The Flames have exhausted countless "minor-league" cities, affiliating with a more independent AHL organization that they can not influence as much may be the change they need.
VGK- Buys the Stockton Heat and relocates them to Vegas or gets awarded AHL expansion franchise.

Essentially a one for one trade of affiliates. Vegas takes Stockton's spot in the Pacific while Chicago does not move anywhere. Personally, I do not see this happening considering the Vegas/Chicago relationship seemingly works quite well, but a small part of me could see Vegas doing this more so to build hockey in Nevada and expand their brand.

Reactions: griffs

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@Admin: I strenuously object to the "Rumor/speculation" tag added to this thread. Isn't there a "Fantasy" or a "Conjecture" or a "Click Bait" label available? :shakehead

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Wolves will not move to Vegas. However, the affiliate of the VGK could end up moving to Vegas. *IF* Vegas were to acquire their own AHL team, it would probably involve Calgary whenever their bridge deal with Stockton is finished. The Blackhawks and Rockford have had a strong relationship for many years and the Blackhawks and Wolves have not been friendly for even longer. If an AHL team lands in Vegas, this would be the most likely scenario...

Calgary - Affiliates with the Chicago Wolves. The Flames have exhausted countless "minor-league" cities, affiliating with a more independent AHL organization that they can not influence as much may be the change they need.
VGK- Buys the Stockton Heat and relocates them to Vegas or gets awarded AHL expansion franchise.

Essentially a one for one trade of affiliates. Vegas takes Stockton's spot in the Pacific while Chicago does not move anywhere. Personally, I do not see this happening considering the Vegas/Chicago relationship seemingly works quite well, but a small part of me could see Vegas doing this more so to build hockey in Nevada and expand their brand.

AHL isn't going beyond 32 teams per as what explained earlier in this thread. 1 AHL team per NHL team. There can't be more AHL teams than there are NHL team.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
So we should be axin' Axe what's shakin' with this? ;)

Hello boys and girls...been out of town almost 2 weeks. This is the first I've read/seen/heard of any of this...I think there have been some excellent comments made by people on here such as 210 and grgriffin, people I trust to tell the truth and not sensationalize it. Fact is the Wolves are owned by Don Levin and Buddy Myers and I doubt anything stated is remotely true and is just someone looking to stir the pot. Remember Vegas had a chance to own a team a couple of years ago and passed ala St. Louis...

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The base question within the vicinity of this subject seems to be whether Calgary wants to give up owning an AHL team. The Wolves obviously aren't going anywhere.

If anyone should be moving their AHL team to their home city, it's not Vegas. It's Calgary... if they don't sell off the Heat. That would be the clearest sign of mercy the Flames could ever visit upon the whole minor league sports world. Obviously I'm not about to lay bets or odds.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
AHL isn't going beyond 32 teams per as what explained earlier in this thread. 1 AHL team per NHL team. There can't be more AHL teams than there are NHL team.

This would leave the AHL at 31 teams to match the NHL and would not put the AHL over 32 teams though?

The Flames and Golden Knights would be trading affiliates. Calgary would affiliate with the Chicago Wolves and Vegas would get possession of Stockton. They then would be free to move them to Vegas/Reno when the current Stockton lease ends or even keep them in Stockton if they wanted. Palm Springs then comes in as team 32 to complete the league.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This would leave the AHL at 31 teams to match the NHL and would not put the AHL over 32 teams though?

The Flames and Golden Knights would be trading affiliates. Calgary would affiliate with the Chicago Wolves and Vegas would get possession of Stockton. They then would be free to move them to Vegas/Reno when the current Stockton lease ends or even keep them in Stockton if they wanted. Palm Springs then comes in as team 32 to complete the league.
since when does Vegas own Chicago, Drake...... No NHL team has owned the Wolves in their history..... I don't see Calgary selling their affiliate if their intention is to be in Stockton the next 22 years....

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
since when does Vegas own Chicago, Drake...... No NHL team has owned the Wolves in their history..... I don't see Calgary selling their affiliate if their intention is to be in Stockton the next 22 years....

Never stated that Vegas owns Chicago or that any NHL team has ever owned them in their history. This thread is focusing on the possibility of Las Vegas getting an AHL team. I was showing a scenario in which it could conceivably happen. We all know the Wolves have long been happy running their own show and considering the Flames affiliates always seem to crash and burn, it would seemingly be a good match. IF (and that's a big if) Calgary did get sick of continuously having trouble running their own affiliate, it's possible a more independent/stable team like the Wolves would be attractive.

If Calgary wants to stay in Stockton, that's their decision considering they own the team and it's a very reasonable option considering how nice travel is in California. However, if Calgary did have interest in an affiliation with the Wolves, VGK could then conceivably buy the Stockton franchise and place them wherever they would like.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Never stated that Vegas owns Chicago or that any NHL team has ever owned them in their history. This thread is focusing on the possibility of Las Vegas getting an AHL team. I was showing a scenario in which it could conceivably happen. We all know the Wolves have long been happy running their own show and considering the Flames affiliates always seem to crash and burn, it would seemingly be a good match. IF (and that's a big if) Calgary did get sick of continuously having trouble running their own affiliate, it's possible a more independent/stable team like the Wolves would be attractive.

If Calgary wants to stay in Stockton, that's their decision considering they own the team and it's a very reasonable option considering how nice travel is in California. However, if Calgary did have interest in an affiliation with the Wolves, VGK could then conceivably buy the Stockton franchise and place them wherever they would like.
source as to where it states Calgary is simply wanting to be an affiliate.... the last I saw there was no intention that the Flames are either going that direction or even considering that.... only St. Louis changed their MO and that was due to financial reasons..... add to that Esche was interested in owning or operating a franchise;which is why VAN/St. Louis traded the affiliation, and why Utica(originally Springfield/Worcester) was created .... the intended plan was 2 1 year bridge deals and a 20 year extension.... there has been no indication that Calgary wants out.... now could the AHL have a hand in this because of the instability of the Flames dealings being in 5 markets and potentially a 6th in the last 16 years, apparently local ownership isn't the solution as what was transpired in Saint John, Omaha, and Quad City... the Flames were bought out of the Abbotsford contract per that deal..... the question is imo who negotiated the contract that is set to expire in less than 3 months..... reports have said it was the Thunder WHO negotiated the original contract before the transition in 2014/15, AND why was it not publically known that the Stockton lease was a 10 year Lease, THAT the Heat have elected to not exercise.... I also see no mention of the Flames negotiating any lease contract from the reports that have become public knowledge, even though Calgary may be a party to it.... it may be that the Flames either declined or they aren't involved in those negotiations per the division of what was in their PDC, as to which entity does what.... some past or current teams, independent ownership or not, do their own lease negotiations , and the parent club simply is just that.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
A creative mind doesn't have time for such distractions.
come back when you have gone through at least one lease dispute, in all honesty, you get educated pretty fast, whether you're in that market or watch how it indirectly impacts your franchise/affiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad