NHL & Vegas Part Deuces Wild: Betting it all on Black (Knights)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
And what? A team existing in Vegas is gonna ruin the product for you? Get real.

yeah, same way Florida ruins it for me. Not many people give a crap about teams with no rivalries, history or some sort of tradition. Sorry but it is true.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
yeah, same way Florida ruins it for me. Not many people give a crap about teams with no rivalries, history or some sort of tradition. Sorry but it is true.

15 years ago you could've said the same about LA. How are teams supposed to develop rivalries or history etc. if they're not even given a shot?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Vegas announces prices

10968788_10205181060138804_452839406_o.jpg

https://www.vegaswantshockey.net/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Money Mayweather and Dana White have put down deposits. Good to have celebrities endorsing the team.

I think it'll work a lot better then Seattle will, not to get OT.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If I lived in Vegas I would put down a $300 deposit so fast for the P5 section.

Not really sure why P4 is more expensive than P5 unless P4 is going to be an all-you-can-eat section or something like that.

I called before I put my deposit down. According to the agent, the balcony is a lot closer to the ice than the upper levels. However, the Thunderbirds (now my preferred name for the team) will shoot twice towards the P6 section based on what has been decided at this point, so the closeness is a moot point in my mind.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
15 years ago you could've said the same about LA. How are teams supposed to develop rivalries or history etc. if they're not even given a shot?
I am not saying no one should be given a shot. My point is, as a hockey fan, Vegas is the LAST spot I would want a team. Seattle, Québec and Hamilton would all be before. I am sure the 5 hockey fans in Vegas will be happy when they expand.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I called before I put my deposit down. According to the agent, the balcony is a lot closer to the ice than the upper levels. However, the Thunderbirds (now my preferred name for the team) will shoot twice towards the P6 section based on what has been decided at this point, so the closeness is a moot point in my mind.

That's still weird because I'd much rather be more towards center ice than behind the nets.

Interesting that P6 is the home net twice. I definitely thought that was the net they would shoot at once and why the prices were lower.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not a betting person but I would wager if they are named the Black Knights, we might be seeing a certain gif a lot, especially if the Las Vegas Black Knights are bleeding cash.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Money Mayweather and Dana White have put down deposits. Good to have celebrities endorsing the team.

I think it'll work a lot better then Seattle will, not to get OT.

Why? Seattle is sports crazy. Look how well they can support a Minor League Soccer team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

History requires time. Tradition requires establishment.

I suppose you would have been against the Rangers coming into the league when it happened too.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Why Not Baseball?

Just curious. Wouldn't baseball be a better fit for Vegas than hockey? Baseball often plays day games (the Cubs didn't even have night games until the 80s) so they could play a primarily day schedule which would cater to both industry people and tourists. Also a 40K seat dome would also be a great venue for events bigger than what an arena would hold.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Just curious. Wouldn't baseball be a better fit for Vegas than hockey? Baseball often plays day games (the Cubs didn't even have night games until the 80s) so they could play a primarily day schedule which would cater to both industry people and tourists. Also a 40K seat dome would also be a great venue for events bigger than what an arena would hold.

Three reasons - the Black Sox and Pete Rose, and the Strip.

Vegas has a minor-league team already - the 51s - but I'd have to think that MLB is incredibly leery of putting a franchise smack dab in the gambling mecca of North America. And as for the third bit, the hockey arena will work precisely because of its location; I don't think there's enough space downtown for a proper ballpark, and even if there was ballgames last at least 3 hours or more. That's a lot of scheduling gray area that hockey doesn't suffer from (thanks to the shootout).

Anyway, a hockey arena (or NBA arena for that matter) is a more desirable facility in terms of multipurpose use - the giant stadiums like domed/roofed ballparks and new football stadiums are more expensive to build, operate, and reconfigure for events that don't draw 40,000 or more people.

Plus, if there IS an event that requires that much seating, there's always the Las Vegas Motor Speedway just past North Las Vegas that can handle that traffic.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Baseball requires a larger market than almost any sport. With all the concerns people have with Vegas selling tickets to a 41/43 game schedule in a 17,500 person arena, the idea of selling 81 games for a 40,000 park is almost insane.

Schedule-wise it would likely work out better, but I think the work schedule issue here is a bit overblown. Plus, baseball doesn't really like day games much, either.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why? Seattle is sports crazy. Look how well they can support a Minor League Soccer team.

MLS is not minor league soccer though. If you want to call soccer league minor then you need to look at the lower US soccer divisions like NASL or USL

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I am not saying no one should be given a shot. My point is, as a hockey fan, Vegas is the LAST spot I would want a team. Seattle, Québec and Hamilton would all be before. I am sure the 5 hockey fans in Vegas will be happy when they expand.

You really don't have respect for anyone in a non-traditional hockey area, do you?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You really don't have respect for anyone in a non-traditional hockey area, do you?

I read an article a few days ago, I'll see if I can find it and will edit and link here when I do, that stated that Las Vegas is the 9th largest US television market for hockey in the US. 3rd largest without a team. Sure, we're non-traditional, but to say there's five fans here is pretty dumb. Our IHL team did really well here before they were booted from the Thomas and Mack Center.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
History requires time. Tradition requires establishment.

I suppose you would have been against the Rangers coming into the league when it happened too.

Absolutely true. Speaking for my Devils, we've been here over 30 years and are still growing the fan base. Why?

The team was putrid, a joke for the first 6 seasons. Only people to become Devils fans were Rangers fans, as well as some other folks, from NJ who liked that the state finally had a team. Fast-forward to 1994, Rangers beat the Devils in the ECF and go on to win the Cup. Devils are rumored to possibly be moving, and still haven't won anything worth talking about. Huge numbers of people in the area hop aboard the Rangers bandwagon, not to mention they already have 3rd and 4th generation fans.

Devils go on to win 3 Cups in 9 years, captivating a younger audience who get into hockey for the first time. I was 6 when the Devils won their first Cup (parents didn't follow hockey so I was never pushed to one team), and at 25 I'd say I'm pretty young to have season tickets.

Many more like me are jumping on board but the majority of the Devils fan base is still in the 15 to 30 year range, and in this economy, luxuries like season tickets are not easily come by for many (especially with how expensive everything in NJ is).

My point being, even the Devils are still growing a fan base and niche in this 3 team market. Like you said, it takes a lot of time. There aren't many second generation Devils fans, and certainly none of them can afford season tickets on their parents' weekly allowance lol. But it, like hockey participation in NJ, is growing and just needs more time.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

The problem with baseball is you almost have to have a guarantee that you're getting a team, because nobody is building a major league sized baseball stadium without the assurance that they're getting a team, because it's going to sit empty if there is no team.

And baseball doesn't play that many day games. I'm looking at my teams schedule and 70% of their home games are at night, which seems about right for an MLB team.

And you're going to have the extra cost of either a dome or retractable roof for a stadium, because I don't care how dry the air is. 110-120 degrees is oppressive heat and I don't think fans would come out to watch a game in that weather without a roof.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

A little late for the whole arena thing.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

:laugh:

[mod]There's more than 5 hockey fans just in my astronomy class.

This is just for an ECHL game:

arena.jpg

If that's not enough, Vegas Wants Hockey's FB page has 12,000+ likes right now
https://www.facebook.com/vegaswantshockey?ref=br_tf

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad