News Article: NHL trade chains: A decade of the Bruins trading star players

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:cry:

NHL trade chains: A decade of the Bruins trading star players

As of Thursday the Boston Bruins sit just three points ahead of the Florida Panthers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Missing the playoffs is a very real possibility, especially with three games remaining against the Panthers, and they do not seem to be taking it very well.

They have not been able to score goals all season. Their salary cap situation is a mess. Their team president, Cam Neely, has recently talked about his disappointment with the performance of the team. There are reports that if they miss the playoffs they could make significant changes to their front office and coaching staff, including the potential firings of general manager Peter Chiarelli and perhaps even coach Claude Julien.

Other than that, everything is great.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
The Dallas stars have 3 less points than the Bruins do right now.

If people can't see why this is a gigantic problem, then I'm sorry. I don't want to hear, "Tyler didn't fit in with the team's identity" or "he sucked in the playoffs." How old is he again?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Not to mention one of the NHL's best group of prospects—not one of whom was included in the Seguin deal.

But I mean we got... MATT FRASER (Already Gone)! REILLY SMITH (probably traded)! Loui Eriksson (On the block for cap space) AND JOE MORROW (on his 3rd team in 2 years). Those guys can play HOCKEY!

Don't know how most of those deals didn't involve any draft picks. The only one being Phil Kessel, who we managed to luck out with Toronto being terrible for 2 years in a row.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Heres an idea, keep the star players and get rid of the journeymen, give that a try just once.

I for one know I would rather watch

Morrow, Smith, Eriksson, Fraser, Primeau, Sturm, Stuart than Seguin/Thornton who's with me.

Management has royally screwed up and they wonder why the team can't score, it is called talent, you need it, fans want it.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Management has royally screwed up and they wonder why the team can't score, it is called talent, you need it, fans want it.

It's called Management arrogance. They got away with the Kessel trade, and figured with this management group they could be the stars of the show by winning with depth and smarts rather than actual talent.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's called Management arrogance. They got away with the Kessel trade, and figured with this management group they could be the stars of the show by winning with depth and smarts rather than actual talent.

Bingo! We got bingo here! Instead of being thankful that the Kessel trade didn't blow up in his face, and being happy with the windfall they got from it, it actually empowered them into thinking they could do it again. The problem being that it didn't work out for them this time. At all. Ever. :laugh:

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
But I mean we got... MATT FRASER (Already Gone)! REILLY SMITH (probably traded)! Loui Eriksson (On the block for cap space) AND JOE MORROW (on his 3rd team in 2 years). Those guys can play HOCKEY!

Don't know how most of those deals didn't involve any draft picks. The only one being Phil Kessel, who we managed to luck out with Toronto being terrible for 2 years in a row.

Seeing it written down.......

71bQXvSriRL.png

Meusoc

Dec 15, 2014
The Seguin trade is an unforgivable error on Chiarelli's part that should probably get him fired and also keep him from any other front office jobs in the NHL. Yes, thats how bad it was... Did Seguin have to go? Yes-maybe... But the package in return sucked when it happened and sucks worse now.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
The Seguin trade is an unforgivable error on Chiarelli's part that should probably get him fired and also keep him from any other front office jobs in the NHL. Yes, thats how bad it was... Did Seguin have to go? Yes-maybe... But the package in return sucked when it happened and sucks worse now.

The Seguin trade will leave me sour for a very long time. Shoud have gotten a Taylor Hall or equal like that in return.

A Stanley Cup will make me feel better. I could see fit to forgive Bruins management if they can pull that off.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Take a close look at this - Neely was the one who signed off on the Sequin deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYKU-bUJre0#t=179

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Offense only players who demand the ice time Seguin needs are horrible. Especially when your team is built for an entirely different style. Four other star players, who play a grinding game, shouldn't change their play because a different guy could maybe score more points if they didn't play the way that makes them good.

That said, if you ignore the concussions, Loui for Seguin straight up isn't a losing trade. I get that all most of you see is points. Waiving Fraser was the mistake with the players involved in the trade, not shipping Seguin off.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Offense only players who demand the ice time Seguin needs are horrible. Especially when your team is built for an entirely different style. Four other star players, who play a grinding game, shouldn't change their play because a different guy could maybe score more points if they didn't play the way that makes them good.

That said, if you ignore the concussions, Loui for Seguin straight up isn't a losing trade. I get that all most of you see is points. Waiving Fraser was the mistake with the players involved in the trade, not shipping Seguin off.

Just wow..guess what.. Seguin helped win a series against Tampa during their cup run. What has Loyi done besides decline year after year

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

I don't... I can't... what? :help:

Who are the Bruins star grinders this season? I can't name one.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Just wow..guess what.. Seguin helped win a series against Tampa during their cup run. What has Loyi done besides decline year after year

Play incredible defensive hockey, while scoring at a reasonable pace. I mean, if all you care is points, you can. You'd be dumb, but you can.

It seems people that complain about the Seguin trade, or similar trades, don't actually watch hockey. Instead you play the video game. Where it doesn't matter what other skills the player has, because you put all of your time into playing the AI. So checking, penalty killing (if you didn't turn it off), and defensive play is irrelevant.

xpat1313x

Jan 7, 2004
Middleboro, Ma
Visit site
Play incredible defensive hockey, while scoring at a reasonable pace. I mean, if all you care is points, you can. You'd be dumb, but you can.

It seems people that complain about the Seguin trade, or similar trades, don't actually watch hockey. Instead you play the video game. Where it doesn't matter what other skills the player has, because you put all of your time into playing the AI. So checking, penalty killing (if you didn't turn it off), and defensive play is irrelevant.

Not every player has to be a two way player. Theres room for both and id argue that winning teams need to have a good mix of both.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
The Dallas stars have 3 less points than the Bruins do right now.

If people can't see why this is a gigantic problem, then I'm sorry. I don't want to hear, "Tyler didn't fit in with the team's identity" or "he sucked in the playoffs." How old is he again?

Or how about "we don't have room at center" (for what will probably become a multiple Art Ross career)

We don't have room for Spooner or Koko either, so let's force them to play wing or trade them to come to their full potential elsewhere :shakehead

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Or how about "we don't have room at center" (for what will probably become a multiple Art Ross career)

We don't have room for Spooner or Koko either, so let's force them to play wing or trade them to come to their full potential elsewhere :shakehead

But he doesn't play defense!

Seguin +/- = E (many PP goals that don't count)
Bergeron +/- = 1

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site

Just stop...just cause some don't agree with you means they don't watch hockey. Quite the opposite. Tell me that Dallas or any other GM would trade Loui for Seguin straight up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad