NHL to Vegas part III: The Black Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think using the Army color scheme was splitting the difference between his desire to honor his alma mater and his understanding that shoehorning in Black Knights wouldn't be great.

I'm guessing he's still in on the Knights. He doesn't strike me as a dude that changes his mind much based on what I've read.

Honestly, I'm warming up to it, there are so many worse ideas out there that seem to get a lot of support from the ham and eggers in social media.

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
I love Seattle as a town and it's my intention to have a home there some day. That being said, I'm less interested in making sure there's a team in Seattle than making sure there's a chance for two places that have everything lined up having one. I can't see the reason to hold everything up for Seattle.

Seattle needs an arena. Key Arena is 53 years old and isn't ready for any major sports and it's not an amazing venue for concerts and other events either. Seattle is doing the Seattle thing and exhausting every single option to make sure everyone is happy with what happens, it's what they do.

However, when it all comes down to it, they need an arena no matter what. Do you want to build it, or don't you? QC and LV (and a few other cities for that matter) have arenas with no guaranteed teams, why does Seattle think it's so special that they should get a guarantee? Build the place and they're now a soft landing spot for Arizona if it's needed/expansion to 34 and maybe a NBA relocation/expansion in the future. They get rid of a half century old arena and replace it with a state of the art arena plus they get some extra space in Seattle Center in the bargain. Seems like a win win to me.

I cannot agree more. Seattle has taken long enough with this new arena bit. Either do it or don't but please stop jerking everyone around with these ideas like you deserve a team because of something 100 years ago.

The city has known that they need a replacement for Key Arena for more than a decade now and they continue to drag their feet.

It's kind of along of the lines of what I was thinking.

The league has gauged expression of interest and they will be at a point where they know what's feasible short term and long term.

If the open a formal process, the question is how many teams they will add and over what period of time.

I am interested to see who has knocked on Bettman's door since the Las Vegas ticket drive started.

Disclosure: Besides what I've mentioned in this post, my opinion is also very much based on the initial Vancouver Province article from last October that stated a four team expansion was in the works involving LV, QC, Seattle, and GTA. Back then, Vegas was a joke and surprise to many, and look where we are now. I think this is a two phase process and Seattle is to join with GTA/Hamilton/Whatever. There's two cities ready (LV/QC) and two that need work.

How about GTA gets the other expansion team and the Maple Leafs get relocated to QC? If GTA gets a second expansion every Leaf fan will jump ship.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I cannot agree more. Seattle has taken long enough with this new arena bit. Either do it or don't but please stop jerking everyone around with these ideas like you deserve a team because of something 100 years ago.

The city has known that they need a replacement for Key Arena for more than a decade now and they continue to drag their feet.

I am interested to see who has knocked on Bettman's door since the Las Vegas ticket drive started.

How about GTA gets the other expansion team and the Maple Leafs get relocated to QC? If GTA gets a second expansion every Leaf fan will jump ship.
I don't know about that.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

You really don't know your Leafs fans. The organisation has treated it's fans to some of the worst hockey shenanigans ever over a sustained period of time. Many fans weren't around to remember the last time the Leafs were in the final.

Leaf fandom approachess religious status in that there is near unquestioning loyalty to the icon regardless of what it has done for you (or to your sanity). Indoctrination starts early, like birth, or even before, listening to hockey and the leafs in utero.

Leaf fans are going nowhere. What will very likely happen is that if Toronto2 has a good stretch, many fans that may have become Leaf fans will become T2 fans.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hockey Vision just announced on social media that section P6 (The least expensive section) is sold out and there are less than 100 seats available in P1 (The most expensive section.)

Don't know if the section is completely sold out or if their predetermined maximum number of season tickets are sold out. Pretty good sign either way.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I would vote for Aces to stick with something sounding Vegas-ish.

Jokers might be too easy to pick on in bad times.

Isn't this like naming your child? No matter what you choose, others will find a way to make fun of them.

For example, it's pretty easy to call the Aces the Las Vegas A*S*S*E*S.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Jokers > Aces to me.

It seems like people are ignoring the pile-up of "sss" sounds. Lasss Vegasss Acccesss. That just doesn't sound right.

I also love the Jokerit logo, too bad they can't copy that.

500px-Jokerit_Logo.svg.png

I'm still totally happy with Black Knights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad