NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
There is. Everett or Kent, or if the NHL is willing to pony up for a temporary ice plant, Tacoma. You can probably survive a year - no more than that - in a temporary facility if you have snags provided construction is ongoing and continues on. Granted, it's not the best situation for anyone, but this league has had it worse. Remember the Expo Hall at the Florida State Fairgrounds or the Cow Palace, or even the Calgary Corral, anyone??

Everett > Cow Palace (in suites, more important than the difference in number of seats), though any smaller arena is hard pressed to beat the synchronized bug flying that you’d usually get at the Palace, not to mention everyone mooing as they crammed towards the passageways to the parking lot after the game.

Reactions: Killion

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Ya, a lot of logistics involved. Hafta scope out the schedule, all kinds of details large & small....
However.... if one only see's obstacles in life, lose sight of the goal... Nothing ever gets done.
Mariners season starts early April, ends September 31st, not an obstacle, can work around...
Or... "that Kentucky Blue Grass & Perennial Rye, whoa boy... gunna cost a fortune to replace!". :scared:
Unhuh. I'm sure it will. So what? I dont wanna hear cant do... I wanna hear can do. Problem?

If Bob Christofferson, the great Safeco groundskeeper, can figure out how to make the grass work with concert stages, I'd think an ice plant wouldn't be too much of a problem. And besides, the Mariners can always use the extra revenue.....they won't spend it on players to improve the team, though, and that would not make folks very happy.......:laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If Bob Christofferson, the great Safeco groundskeeper, can figure out how to make the grass work with concert stages, I'd think an ice plant wouldn't be too much of a problem...

Precisely, and if there is a scheduling conflict at the end of the Mariners Season, like a miracle, Playoffs, and still active... or hafta start their regular season later because the Seattle Totems are playoff bound..... then I'd suggest the Mariners either play those games all on the road and or... go book the diamond at Roosevelt High... Nathan Hale... Grover Cleveland... Franklin, Ballard... Bring in some bleacher seating, Johnny on the Spots, hot dog & peanut stands... No admission, free food. Give back to the community ya cheap Bastids. Apologize.... and if the fans & Jerry Bruckheimer think your sincere, that youve actually performed/produced, contrite, served penance... we'll give you back the keys to your little clubhouse, Safeco Field.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Precisely, and if there is a scheduling conflict at the end of the Mariners Season, like a miracle, Playoffs, and still active... or hafta start their regular season later because the Seattle Totems are playoff bound..... then I'd suggest the Mariners either play those games all on the road and or... go book the diamond at Roosevelt High... Nathan Hale... Grover Cleveland... Franklin, Ballard... Bring in some bleacher seating, Johnny on the Spots, hot dog & peanut stands... No admission, free food. Give back to the community ya cheap Bastids. Apologize.... and if the fans & Jerry Bruckheimer think your sincere, that youve actually performed/produced, contrite, served penance... we'll give you back the keys to your little clubhouse, Safeco Field.

There is another issue to deal with. There is a city law that requires 4 hours between events. They have to get a scheduling agreement between them seahawks and sounders.

I doubt the mariners are going to take it likely to have their schedule screwed cause of another team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There is another issue to deal with. There is a city law that requires 4 hours between events. They have to get a scheduling agreement between them seahawks and sounders.

I doubt the mariners are going to take it likely to have their schedule screwed cause of another team.

..... whats than now?.... I cant :allears: hear you tommy.........:golfnana:................. :wedgie: nice one. look....

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

So I am going to post this moreso for informational purposes only so if mods determine this needs to be removed they can do so. Anyway, this appeared on Levine's Twitter feed last night and originated on the Twitter feed for a pro-SoDo activist. The NAACP's Seattle chapter and El Centro de la Raza, a pair of very influential minority activist groups in Seattle, appear to be co-organizing a discussion on how Hansen's proposed SoDo plan, even though it's very much on faint breath at the moment, would positively impact minority communities in the city's south end. This discussion is scheduled for this evening and I'd expect if Daniels or others covering this topic get wind of it they may be down there covering it tonight, we'll see.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So I am going to post this moreso for informational purposes only so if mods determine this needs to be removed they can do so. Anyway, this appeared on Levine's Twitter feed last night and originated on the Twitter feed for a pro-SoDo activist. The NAACP's Seattle chapter and El Centro de la Raza, a pair of very influential minority activist groups in Seattle, appear to be co-organizing a discussion on how Hansen's proposed SoDo plan, even though it's very much on faint breath at the moment, would positively impact minority communities in the city's south end. This discussion is scheduled for this evening and I'd expect if Daniels or others covering this topic get wind of it they may be down there covering it tonight, we'll see.

Interesting, and sure... this is fine, cool. Business not of hockey so much but business of sport as it relates to Seattle & as were talking about a facility that if ever built, if the NBA ever does return, a lot of "if's" in fact but IF... then this new facility could be used for hockey, would be problematic for the NHL & OVG, operators of Key (or whatever it'll be called). Its I believe a pipe dream, on life support if that so I wouldnt be getting all wound up about it, wasting a lot of time speculating about it... "what if".... I mean My God. Havent people had enough of that already, with Hansen, SODO? That was Walking Dead the minute Steve Ballmer amscrayed to LA.Weve already done multiple autopsies on that corpse so please people, dont be going overboard.

... its not alive. :frank:... not enough lightning, lecktricity, wave, wind or solar power to revive it...

........ Its dead Jim.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Interesting, and sure... this is fine, cool. Business not of hockey so much but business of sport as it relates to Seattle & as were talking about a facility that if ever built, if the NBA ever does return, a lot of "if's" in fact but IF... then this new facility could be used for hockey, would be problematic for the NHL & OVG, operators of Key (or whatever it'll be called). Its I believe a pipe dream, on life support if that so I wouldnt be getting all wound up about it, wasting a lot of time speculating about it... "what if".... I mean My God. Havent people had enough of that already, with Hansen, SODO? That was Walking Dead the minute Steve Ballmer amscrayed to LA.

Considering we already have an insider in the NBA that wants to own a NBA team at some point. Hansen has no chance at getting the NBA team.

He still has yet to actually replace balmer. I can't see how he'll convince SCC to give him the street vacation on a idea that has no $$$ backing to it.

He think the NBA is gonna say no to someone who is already a minority owner of a NBA team. NBA won't do that to another owner.

Reactions: Killion

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Well, it turns out that there was a lot more news out of this thing than was expected......

Investor still wants SoDo arena despite KeyArena deal

Hansen was THERE at this meeting and spoke to KING-5. Not Daniels, but another reporter who was assigned to cover this (why CD wasn't who knows....)

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I can see basketball back in Seattle at some point but think the focus, right now, will be on hockey.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well, it turns out that there was a lot more news out of this thing than was expected......

Investor still wants SoDo arena despite KeyArena deal

Hansen was THERE at this meeting and spoke to KING-5. Not Daniels, but another reporter who was assigned to cover this (why CD wasn't who knows....)

Again Hansen is not going to get the NBA franchise at all ever. Why should SCC give him a street when he has yet to prove that he has the $$$ to get it done.

The fact he doesn't even bother to show up in the city to talk to people where it matters the most (SCC) in terms of the street vacation is ridiculous.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Again Hansen is not going to get the NBA franchise at all ever. Why should SCC give him a street when he has yet to prove that he has the $$$ to get it done.

The fact he doesn't even bother to show up in the city to talk to people where it matters the most (SCC) in terms of the street vacation is ridiculous.
The SCC should give him the ROW vacation because he owns the property surrounding the street and doesn't think it's necessary to serve the property he owns. I don't think they should give it to him for free, but if he owns the property that portion of Occidental Ave is serving, he should get the option to pay for the city right of way that previously served different owners regardless of whether a professional basketball team will come.

It's a city street they requires maintenance that serves only property that he owns, and he doesn't want the street. It's a subsidy to Hansen as is exists now. Give/Sell it to him. The only reason to keep it is to try to control what happens on the land, which I feel is a city power move.

Occidental Ave, which is a start-stop thing and isn't a thoroughfare should be none of the SCC's concern if he owns the land.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The SCC should give him the ROW vacation because he owns the property surrounding the street and doesn't think it's necessary to serve the property he owns. I don't think they should give it to him for free, but if he owns the property that portion of Occidental Ave is serving, he should get the option to pay for the city right of way that previously served different owners regardless of whether a professional basketball team will come.

It's a city street they requires maintenance that serves only property that he owns, and he doesn't want the street. It's a subsidy to Hansen as is exists now. Give/Sell it to him. The only reason to keep it is to try to control what happens on the land, which I feel is a city power move.

Occidental Ave, which is a start-stop thing and isn't a thoroughfare should be none of the SCC's concern if he owns the land.

The thing is nothing has changed at all other than the project is not all privately funded. He hasn't replaced balmer. He hasn't shown the $$$ is there to get both the NBA and built the arena.

In fact i find it out right zero chance that any one wants to team up with hansen in terms of a NBA group when there is already another better group out there that will actually built the arena that will be getting the NHL team.

The city needs to know if there is an actually benefit for giving up the street vacation beyond just the sake of doing so. Right now there is zero benefit cause the NBA team isn't going to go to hansen, its gonna be granted to David Bonderman, who is already part of the NBA ownership club if a team is granted at all.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The thing is nothing has changed at all other than the project is not all privately funded. He hasn't replaced balmer. He hasn't shown the $$$ is there to get both the NBA and built the arena.

In fact i find it out right zero chance that any one wants to team up with hansen in terms of a NBA group when there is already another better group out there that will actually built the arena that will be getting the NHL team.

The city needs to know if there is an actually benefit for giving up the street vacation beyond just the sake of doing so. Right now there is zero benefit cause the NBA team isn't going to go to hansen, its gonna be granted to David Bonderman, who is already part of the NBA ownership club if a team is granted at all.
Forget sports.

The guy owns all the land surrounding Occidental Ave, the street is useless to the people of Seattle if he decides he wants to do something there, yet they still have to pave and maintain it. He could demolish everything touching Occidental Ave and the city would still have to maintain it.

The only reason to keep the street for the city is so the city can dictate that he decides to build warehouses or individual condo buildings in the event the arena falls through (and it has) so why keep it? Give him the option to purchase it and move on.

They want to control what happens on this guy's land, and the only way they can do it is through denying vacation and potential zoning changes, it's stupid.

If he wants to build an empty arena, who cares? It's his money, let him buy the street.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Forget sports.

The guy owns all the land surrounding Occidental Ave, the street is useless to the people of Seattle if he decides he wants to do something there, yet they still have to pave and maintain it. He could demolish everything touching Occidental Ave and the city would still have to maintain it.

The only reason to keep the street for the city is so the city can dictate that he decides to build warehouses or individual condo buildings in the event the arena falls through (and it has) so why keep it? Give him the option to purchase it and move on.

They want to control what happens on this guy's land, and the only way they can do it is through denying vacation and potential zoning changes, it's stupid.

If he wants to build an empty arena, who cares? It's his money, let him buy the street.

There's lies the problem he doesn't want to build it on spec and the city isn't going to grant a street just to have an empty arena.

Its a public asset the city has the right to know if they are going to get anything out of it besides $$$ for the street. The answer is they aren't going to get anything other than $$$.

Hansen had years to show that the arena can get done. He has done nothing to show that. No NHL group no Balmer replacement no major $$$ backing it.

All of that so far has went to OVG's group for the Seattle center arena.

Hansen barely shows up at all for his project which is part of the reason why the city said no in the first place for the street vacation may 2nd 2016.

OVG has shown they can get it done where has Hansen has done nothing especially nothing when competition showed up. He lost and needs to move on and do something else with that land that doesn't require a street vacation. He either builds offices or sells the land.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There's lies the problem he doesn't want to build it on spec and the city isn't going to grant a street just to have an empty arena.

Its a public asset the city has the right to know if they are going to get anything out of it besides $$$ for the street. The answer is they aren't going to get anything other than $$$.

Hansen had years to show that the arena can get done. He has done nothing to show that. No NHL group no Balmer replacement no major $$$ backing it.

Hansen barely shows up at all for his project which is part of the reason why the city said no in the first place for the street vacation may 2nd 2016.

OVG has shown they can get it done where has Hansen has done nothing especially nothing when competition showed up. He lost and needs to move on and do something else with that land that doesn't require a street vacation. He either builds offices or sells the land.
They got the street for free just because they're the city and that's the way things work.

If the street is no longer needed since he owns every property that portion of the street serves and since it's not a thoroughfare, he should get a chance to purchase the street. I don't care if he's building an arena, condo complex, or tears down the existing buildings and leaves it vacant. There's very little reason for the street to exist if the property doesn't require it and the fire department can reasonably put out a fire in the area.

They vacated Occidental under the Safeco property without much of an issue because the property served by Occidental in the Safeco area didn't require the street. I see no difference here other than there's an arena political issue.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They got the street for free just because they're the city and that's the way things work.

If the street is no longer needed since he owns every property that portion of the street serves and since it's not a thoroughfare, he should get a chance to purchase the street. I don't care if he's building an arena, condo complex, or tears down the existing buildings and leaves it vacant. There's very little reason for the street to exist if the property doesn't require it and the fire department can reasonably put out a fire in the area.

They vacated Occidental under the Safeco property without much of an issue because the property served by Occidental in the Safeco area didn't require the street. I see no difference here other than there's an arena political issue.

We also already had the baseball team playing in Seattle when Safeco field was built. Huge difference compared to sodo arena.

The reason why Seattle center arena plan is on such an advance timeline cause everyone knows the NHL team is coming.

Right now the NBA is not expanding nor they are relocating a team thus the focus of hansen should been 100% on secured the NHL group to get the NHL team and a billionarie

That never happened where has OVG was able to secure not only the NHL group, but a billionaire as well but we are getting a NHL team.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We also already had the baseball team playing in Seattle when Safeco field was built. Huge difference compared to sodo arena.

The reason why Seattle center arena plan is on such an advance timeline cause everyone knows the NHL team is coming.

Right now the NBA is not expanding nor they are relocating a team thus the focus of hansen should been 100% on secured the NHL group to get the NHL team and a billionarie

That never happened where has OVG was able to secure not only the NHL group, but a billionaire as well but we are getting a NHL team.
My whole point is that it shouldn't matter.

If he purchased all that land with the declared goal of creating a mixed use condo complex with street level retail and affordable housing options they'd give up the street in half a second because the street is unnecessary for the purposes of the development. Because his stated goal is to build an arena, they'll protect the other private company building an arena, and that whole thing is complete crap.

Hansen's SoDo property will develop into something other than arena within the next few years, and the idea that they're slowing down the vacation process because they're in bed with someone competing with his current stated goal and don't like his current stated goal is political and it's stupid.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

If he purchased all that land with the declared goal of creating a mixed use condo complex with street level retail and affordable housing options they'd give up the street in half a second because the street is unnecessary for the purposes of the development. Because his stated goal is to build an arena, they'll protect the other private company building an arena, and that whole thing is complete crap.

Hansen's SoDo property will develop into something other than arena within the next few years, and the idea that they're slowing down the vacation process because they're in bed with someone competing with his current stated goal and don't like his current stated goal is political and it's stupid.

Don't blame this all on the city. You just don't submit a project to the city and expect to get anything out of it, if you don't actually shown that you have the $$$ and the means to follow through with that project nevermind actually show up and talk to the city council members as well as a willingness to play the game of politics then the city is going to look the other way.

Not once hansen has shown he was willing to play the game of politics whereas Tim Leiweke has.

And it shows which arena protect is going to get done and getting both the NHL and NBA teams and its not sodo arena.

SCC and the mayors office is going to leverage out sodo arena to make sure Leiweke gets that NBA team secured nothing more.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

I know you've advocated "owners rights" in regards to that property more than once.

I just don't think you understand the boiling anger of anti-gentrification forces in Seattle. Bit of a powderkeg right now, and probably destined to get worse.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know you've advocated "owners rights" in regards to that property more than once.

I just don't think you understand the boiling anger of anti-gentrification forces in Seattle. Bit of a powderkeg right now, and probably destined to get worse.

Seattle is running out of places to develop out side of Sodo district and the last area in Seattle that has yet to be developed is the sodo district. So its kinda of inevitable that Sodo will be redeveloped. Its only a matter of time.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Don't blame this all on the city. You just don't submit a project to the city and expect to get anything out of it, if you don't actually shown that you have the $$$ and the means to follow through with that project nevermind actually show up and talk to the city council members as well as a willingness to play the game of politics then the city is going to look the other way.

Not once hansen has shown he was willing to play the game of politics whereas Tim Leiweke has.

And it shows which arena protect is going to get done and getting both the NHL and NBA teams and its not sodo arena.

SCC and the mayors office is going to leverage out sodo arena to make sure Leiweke gets that NBA team secured nothing more.

I'm guessing he has the money to build whatever he wants, I don't know that it's really in the city's scope to base decisions on a guy's ability to make a profit. If he builds an empty arena, that's his call as far as I'm concerned. The issue here seems to be that he's trying to build an arena that will compete with the city's chosen arena developer, and I don't like it.

If the city of Seattle decided to not let someone build a shopping center because they thought they wouldn't get an anchor tenant, I don't think they're in the right spot to deny it. The fact that they're hooked up with another shopping center developer makes it even worse. Let him do what he wants assuming it doesn't hurt the city. If they were saying wasting the real estate for an empty arena and it would hurt the city, I'd have a different opinion. I'd still have an issue, but I'd at least understand.

I assume I am misunderstanding the local situation, but I don't see how changing light industrial into something else leads to a gentrification issue more than turning light commercial into an Amazon headquarters does, and even if it did, who are they to tell someone what they can do with their property based on that principle?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm guessing he has the money to build whatever he wants, I don't know that it's really in the city's scope to base decisions on a guy's ability to make a profit. If he builds an empty arena, that's his call as far as I'm concerned. The issue here seems to be that he's trying to build an arena that will compete with the city's chosen arena developer, and I don't like it.

If the city of Seattle decided to not let someone build a shopping center because they thought they wouldn't get an anchor tenant, I don't think they're in the right spot to deny it. The fact that they're hooked up with another shopping center developer makes it even worse. Let him do what he wants assuming it doesn't hurt the city. If they were saying wasting the real estate for an empty arena and it would hurt the city, I'd have a different opinion. I'd still have an issue, but I'd at least understand.

I assume I am misunderstanding the local situation, but I don't see how changing light industrial into something else leads to a gentrification issue more than turning light commercial into an Amazon headquarters does, and even if it did, who are they to tell someone what they can do with their property based on that principle?

The funding for the arena requires a team before that gets secured.

SoDo arena group proves financial backing

Again he should have gone after a NHL group and added a Billionaire investor instead of pushing that thh NBA will not accept Key arena plan.

The city again could make the street vacation conditional that a team must be secured before being fully granted.

One issue, NBA won't grant team unless the arena is built and only OVG's arena plan will get built with out a team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

why should Balmer be brought up at all, tommy, he owns the Clippers, so it's a moot point, the way you're advocating it sounds like you want the Clippers to reclaim the Sonics legacy, when they're not leaving LA.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
why should Balmer be brought up at all, tommy, he owns the Clippers, so it's a moot point, the way you're advocating it sounds like you want the Clippers to reclaim the Sonics legacy, when they're not leaving LA.

I am not advocating that not at all. The point i am making is that after Balmer left to buy the clippers, Hansen has yet to actually find a replacement for balmer. There is no billionaire in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad