NHL to potentially roll out player and puck tracking in 19/20 season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Would be cool but I think their cameras have a certain technology tied in with the A.I.

Not sure I've ever heard of anything like that, but perhaps. You could still apply the same algorithms to analyze film, you'd just have to convert the film into some kind of dataset that can be utilized for this project.

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure I've ever heard of anything like that, but perhaps. You could still apply the same algorithms to analyze film, you'd just have to convert the film into some kind of dataset that can be utilized for this project.

It's possible they attempt that if its successful. Would be quite the endeavor though.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Well you'd have to find a way of individually tagging the players after-the-fact, and would need video of a certain fidelity to deal with the puck, so you couldn't go too far back (into the pre-HD world) without a lot of manual work involved. So, you'd be able to look at maybe Chelios's last couple seasons, but not his first.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
That's super interesting. So do you have a link to the SHL stats gained by this?

With the exponential evolution of AI's and data tracking, coaching could actually become largely obsolete in the near-future in a compeltely different way than current advanced stats could do. You have the chess pieces and a huge myriad of data on different scenarios happening on ice - I don't see a way how a computer doesn't completely outclass every human being in hockey strategy soon enough.

(Of course this becomes a huge problem. Are they using the same AI to battle each other and how does that make sense? Will using AI be banned altogether and how that could even be controlled?)

Last edited:

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Would be cool but I think their cameras have a certain technology tied in with the A.I.

I have interactions with companies doing this through my (academic) research.

From what I understand there is nothing overly special about the cameras. Just high resolution and high frequency.

Some companies use multiple cameras for 3D reconstruction by triangulation. Some request specific positions (with, or without multiple cameras). Some position objects in the arena/around ice surface to serve as positioning reference.

But ultimately, with a camera angle that isn't cut by the boards and high enough resolution and frequency, computer vision can solve the problem with reasonable effort these days.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Uh, are people getting the complete wrong idea about what this will do? Because it will not "revolutionize" advanced stats, it will just make them much easier to track. We're still presuming that good Corsi makes a good player; these stats will not suddenly be granted context.

"Player A connected more passes in the offensive zone than player B." So what?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Uh, are people getting the complete wrong idea about what this will do? Because it will not "revolutionize" advanced stats, it will just make them much easier to track. We're still presuming that good Corsi makes a good player; these stats will not suddenly be granted context.

It will derive more meaningful stats then how much shots your team flung at the net while you were on the ice. Meaningful possession, actual high danger shots, he good you are at creating time and space. Corsi will drop out and be replaced by much deeper analysis.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
As long as they don't bring back the glowing puck!

IMG_1640.jpg
Give me the mph without the glowing puck, but only if the puck is above 90 mph.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Liiga will test player and puck tracking this season with four teams. They provide real time data, like player position, speed, skating distance etc. and stats for puck possession.
Here's an article from Helsingin Sanomat this morning, in finnish unfortunately but I guess you can get some idea from video and pictures what's happening
SM-liiga testaa teknologiaa, joka tallentaa pelaajien ja kiekon jokaisen liikkeen – sitä varten Mika Hulkin piti ahertaa kuukausia mattoveitsen, poran ja kumiseosten kanssa

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

My point is that Corsi kinda sucks and is just an approximation of player trends, and this technology provides the opportunity for a fitting successor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad