NHL to announce 2018-2019 home openers for each team on June 20 at 1:00 PM EST

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Makes me wonder if the Capitals will at least take down this 2011 Winter Classic Champion banner? Although since they defeated Pittsburgh in that game I guess they want to keep it up.

Jeebus, that's embarrassing. Banners to celebrate divisional champs, EC/WC champs, Presidents' Trophy...sure. Yeah, it's not the banner you WANT, but it's a celebration of a reasonably tough feat - being the best regular season team in a division or the league, or effectively winning a silver medal in the post-season.

But celebrating ONE game seven years ago that wasn't really all that significant? I mean, as a Bruins fan, I loved Game 7 against the Leafs in 2013 - but if my Bruins were to ever raise a banner in honor of it, I'd be embarrassed. Probably embarrassed enough to move across the border, buy a pair of Babsocks to go in some scuffed new shoes, and start waving that blue banner.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jeebus, that's embarrassing. Banners to celebrate divisional champs, EC/WC champs, Presidents' Trophy...sure. Yeah, it's not the banner you WANT, but it's a celebration of a reasonably tough feat - being the best regular season team in a division or the league, or effectively winning a silver medal in the post-season.

But celebrating ONE game seven years ago that wasn't really all that significant? I mean, as a Bruins fan, I loved Game 7 against the Leafs in 2013 - but if my Bruins were to ever raise a banner in honor of it, I'd be embarrassed. Probably embarrassed enough to move across the border, buy a pair of Babsocks to go in some scuffed new shoes, and start waving that blue banner.
Actually that's not the most embarrassing banner they have up. It's not the Capitals but the WNBA's Washington Mystics who are owned by the same group where Ted Leonsis is the chairman, put up these banners at the Capital One Arena.

Reactions: JimmyH

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Toronto opening at home vs Montreal?

I am shocked!

There aren't many choices. For the last few years, the schedule on opening Wednesday has been 4 games: US East, Canada East, US West, Canada West. It's a broadcasting decision: both national networks in the US and Canada get a game that starts at 7 PM Eastern, lasts for about 3 hours including pregame ceremonies and brief inter-game coverage, and then segues into the game in the West that has puck drop at 10:10 EDT. And both national networks are loathe to show games that aren't within their own country - when NBC televises a BOS/WSH game, they're bound to get heavy ratings in Boston and Washington. If they televise a BOS/MTL game, they only get a ratings boost from one local market.

Because there are only 3 teams in the East you can pick from to keep Rogers happy, there's really only 3 matchups you can have: Leafs/Sens, Leafs/Habs, Habs/Sens. I suppose you could throw in a Western Canadian team that starts their season with an Eastern road trip, but that just seems too hard unless it's Winnipeg.

Same goes for Canada West: It's probably going to be CGY/EDM, CGY/VAN or VAN/EDM, with an occasional WPG game thrown in there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There aren't many choices. For the last few years, the schedule on opening Wednesday has been 4 games: US East, Canada East, US West, Canada West. It's a broadcasting decision: both national networks in the US and Canada get a game that starts at 7 PM Eastern, lasts for about 3 hours including pregame ceremonies and brief inter-game coverage, and then segues into the game in the West that has puck drop at 10:10 EDT. And both national networks are loathe to show games that aren't within their own country - when NBC televises a BOS/WSH game, they're bound to get heavy ratings in Boston and Washington. If they televise a BOS/MTL game, they only get a ratings boost from one local market.

Because there are only 3 teams in the East you can pick from to keep Rogers happy, there's really only 3 matchups you can have: Leafs/Sens, Leafs/Habs, Habs/Sens. I suppose you could throw in a Western Canadian team that starts their season with an Eastern road trip, but that just seems too hard unless it's Winnipeg.

Same goes for Canada West: It's probably going to be CGY/EDM, CGY/VAN or VAN/EDM, with an occasional WPG game thrown in there.
I said this earlier and I will say it again. Opening night will be the first official game in Toronto with the name Scotiabank Arena since it's replacing the name of Air Canada Centre on July 1, 2018. Since Toronto played Montreal in the very first NHL game played their on February 20, 1999 maybe that's why it's Toronto vs Montreal once again on opening night for next season.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Oilers get shafted yet again in the schedule. Watch them collapse after a few road game losses to start the season.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I said this earlier and I will say it again. Opening night will be the first official game in Toronto with the name Scotiabank Arena since it's replacing the name of Air Canada Centre on July 1, 2018. Since Toronto played Montreal in the very first NHL game played their on February 20, 1999 maybe that's why it's Toronto vs Montreal once again on opening night for next season.

A name change isnt a big deal

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
This thought just occurred to me. Since Toronto played Montreal in the very first game at the Air Canada Centre, maybe the NHL wanted them playing against each other in it's new name which is changing to Scotiabank Arena on July 1, 2018.
Come on

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Will Capitals fans even be able to see the Championship banner among the 40 Thank You Fans banners? Be a fun game of where's Wally

Backstrom and Ovechkin videotaped with Stanley Cup in front of the Bellagio Fountain in Las Vegas yesterday as part of the NHL Awards Ceremony. Water source for the Bellagio Fountain were your tears and that of your fellow Penguins.:whine:

Reactions: ovikovy817

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Backstrom and Ovechkin videotaped with Stanley Cup in front of the Bellagio Fountain in Las Vegas yesterday as part of the NHL Awards Ceremony. Water source for the Bellagio Fountain were your tears and that of your fellow Penguins.:whine:
The Caps winning the Stanley Cup caused a major depression among Pens fans.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad