NHL Team Systems and Identity

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
There are different playing styles that vary from team to team. A lot of it depends on a GM's team vision, coaching philosophies, and/or player personnel.

I'm curious to hear about the different offensive/defensive systems and strategies used by teams in the NHL.

What's the vision and identity of the team your GM built or plans to build? How well does your coaching staff implement it?

Which teams in the NHL currently have the most effective/successful systems?

How well do those systems match the on-ice personnel?

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Honestly, I think the difference between teams' 'systems' and structure are often overstated, the implication that teams that play these vastly different styles or games is sort of unfounded to me. At least that's my opinion, willing to hear other ones out.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think the best way to implement a system is draft the players first, and go with a system that best fits their strengths.

As for our team, it's totally strange. The GM comes in under one ownership, and drafts the players. And then eventually finds the right coach to implement a system that fits the personnel. A defense first system. (under Gallant)

But while this team building was going on, ownership changed hands. And when the team turns a corner and rises to the top of the standings, the new ownership decides it wants to change the style of play of the team, and afterward the team nosedives in the standings.

This system tries to play uptempo, and pressure all over the ice. It seemed like they ignored the players they had, and tried to implement a general system that they thought would win. Even though they already were winning with the system they had. It's just, it's just....why?!?!

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Bump I know... But I'd like to talk about this honestly. What options are chosen universally across the league in each situation and which are chosen by few if not one team? I think this is more interesting if we break it down into specific plays.

Tampa likes that behind the back pass at their own blueline for the winger/center with speed for exits. I don't see the red wings or other teams do that nearly as often-though I think others might run it now. Detroit has been doing the drop pass PP entry for a while. It's nearly universal now.

I don't think I have watched enough to really identify many of these things in general. What are some distinct common plays you notice your team running? Who else does it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad