League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't want anything to do with Marner because he's clearly a f***ing loser.

If we're going out trying to nab a high price piece because we don't want to be a rebuilding franchise the worst way to do that is to take on the guy being punted by a proposed competitor.

Marner doesn't have the stuff, don't care if he helps the goal chase or makes regular season plays, they can't tie themselves to that unless he sees some real significant change.
Who is that clear winner the Caps can sign to improve their scoring potential?

Marner produces. Soft or not, how could you say no to an opportunity to acquire a 100-point forward when only 3 of our players have even scored 40 this year? Especially if a guy is a great passer, which is what the team needs most. He's not a player who relies on physical talent so much he will steeply decline when past his prime. And haven't we had great success with players punted by supposed contenders? Orpik, Niskanen, Oshie?

We talk so much about tanking and high draft picks, but a player who will be better than Marner isn't guaranteed in any draft class at all, and most times there will be only a couple of those.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Who is that clear winner the Caps can sign to improve their scoring potential?

Marner produces. Soft or not, how could you say no to an opportunity to acquire a 100-point forward when only 3 of our players have even scored 40 this year? Especially if a guy is a great passer, which is what the team needs most. He's not a player who relies on physical talent so much he will steeply decline when past his prime. And haven't we had great success with players punted by supposed contenders? Orpik, Niskanen, Oshie?

We talk so much about tanking and high draft picks, but a player who will be better than Marner isn't guaranteed in any draft class at all, and most times there will be only a couple of those.
Also, isn’t everyone a loser until they win it the first time? Would you pass on McDavid since he haven’t even been close to winning it yet. A really weak argument IMO. (Not aimed at you Acallabeth)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Also, isn’t everyone a loser until they win it the first time? Would you pass on McDavid since he haven’t even been close to winning it yet. A really weak argument IMO. (Not aimed at you Acallabeth)
It isn't about that they haven't won so far.

It's about the way that they play, and the way they've so far approached playoff games that make me think it's not a winning move.

If we just want someone who can push play in the regular season and get everyone some points I get it, and I'm fine with it, but let's not pretend this is a move at this point that signifies a better playoff motivation or outcome. He's not the player that gets that done, and most certainly not the one to carry an effort (which is what this team would need right now to really do it).

You're not going to find me thumbing my nose at a lot of players more talented than our roster collectively, and I wouldn't mind Marner, but he's the definition of a regular season stopgap to keep the team in the mid-range, neither seriously competing nor tanking.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m not a huge fan of Marner. He seems like such an asshole and he never shows up in crunch time. Both Nylander and Matthews were giving it to him on the bench last night and Marner threw a temper tantrum.

Nylander is the one I would want if the Leafs go crazy and blow up the team this offseason.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m not a huge fan of Marner. He seems like such an asshole and he never shows up in crunch time. Both Nylander and Matthews were giving it to him on the bench last night and Marner threw a temper tantrum.

Nylander is the one I would want if the Leafs go crazy and blow up the team this offseason.

I like Nylander quite a bit but man do I hope the Leafs think as lowly as you and many others think of Marner. He does lead the Leafs in playoff scoring over the past 3 postseasons, and also is their best forward in terms of 5v5 goal differential (+0.65 per 60) and second best in 5v5 xG differential since 2017.

He's going to be acquired for pennies on the dollar by some team and he's going to do great, just like Oshie was acquired by DC and then killed it.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

I saw the video of them all bitching on the bench. I don’t think Marner was reacting to them yelling at him. Just overall frustration.

I like Nylander quite a bit but man do I hope the Leafs think as lowly as you and many others think of Marner. He does lead the Leafs in playoff scoring over the past 3 postseasons, and also is their best forward in terms of 5v5 goal differential (+0.65 per 60) and second best in 5v5 xG differential since 2017.

He's going to be acquired for pennies on the dollar by some team and he's going to do great, just like Oshie was acquired by DC and then killed it.
The Leafs will have 4 forwards making $10M+ next year. Someone will have to go. I suspect they will try and move Nylander especially after his playing in regular season and then not in playoffs. I would love to get him “cheap” and we are one of the few interesting options with Cap space Nylander and Leafs will have. maybe Jensen going back. Maybe Jensen and McMichael. Maybe picks. But yes, lets do something to get a scorer please.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Marner leads Nylander by a whopping 1 point over the past three seasons while Nylander beats him in goals 12 to 5

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Marner leads Nylander by a whopping 1 point over the past three seasons while Nylander beats him in goals 12 to 5
Assume that is playoffs. I looked last night so my numbers might be off a bit but Marner is a 30 goal scores and Nylander is a 40 goal scorer.

and then we can go back to the Reinhart discussion as well since he will cost about the same (10-12M). But we need a goal scorer.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I'm not saying Nylander is bad. I'm merely making the point that Marner is getting crucified right now despite him still being their most productive postseason player and having a big positive impact in the postseason.

He's a great player and if he waives his NMC someone is going to get him for dirt cheap. I'd like Washington to get him because they need a star two-way player whose primary offensive strength is playmaking.

Who is Washington's primary setup man right now?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not saying Nylander is bad. I'm merely making the point that Marner is getting crucified right now despite him still being their most productive postseason player and having a big positive impact in the postseason.

He's a great player and if he waives his NMC someone is going to get him for dirt cheap. I'd like Washington to get him because they need a star two-way player whose primary offensive strength is playmaking.

Who is Washington's primary setup man right now?
who are the finishers?

Will Marner have as many assists with this Caps roster?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yes, we need finishers (now). Protas McMichael and Lappy can all be setup guys. Can maybe chip in. Same with Wilson and Oshie. We need someone who can score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad