NHL Stirs up more on Day of Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
The Messenger said:
So why are the Players only to blame for the Revenue drop .. Owners rightfully need to take a similar hit, they are after all in control as they say when the Lockout ends and Hockey returns its their buildings and they are currently locking out players and fans.
They are not only to blame but refuse to even discuss linkage based on the health of the league which is stupid IMO.

If they dont then the NHL is more likely to lowball on a fixed cap since they dont want to over estimate the revenues in the upcoming CBA and overpay the % of revenue to the players.

Linkage has to be part of the deal if the league is to prosper now.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Both sides are equally guilty for this mess and neither side has presented an offer that has been acceptable to the other side and thus no deal yet.

They're not even close to the point where either side should be expected to make an offer that's acceptable to the other side. They are expected, however, to make offers which can be negotiated.

So why are the Players only to blame for the Revenue drop .. Owners rightfully need to take a similar hit, they are after all in control as they say when the Lockout ends and Hockey returns its their buildings and they are currently locking out players and fans.

A similar hit? I think their losses over the life of this CBA qualify.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boltsfan2029 said:
A similar hit? I think their losses over the life of this CBA qualify.
Depends how you look at it ... The NHL lost $ 275 Mil this last season acccording to Levitt report and about a 1.2 billion over the life of the past CBA ..

The players lost a year of Salaries last season that amounted to $ 1.5 Bil (75% player costs of 2.1 bil League Revenue's) which are direct savings to the Owners ..

So I would say that is just about a wash ..

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
The Messenger said:
Depends how you look at it ... The NHL lost $ 275 Mil this last season acccording to Levitt report and about a 1.2 billion over the life of the past CBA ..

The players lost a year of Salaries last season that amounted to $ 1.5 Bil (75% player costs of 2.1 bil League Revenue's) which are direct savings to the Owners ..

That has got to be the most bizarre bit of logistical reasoning I think I've ever seen, and I used to spend a lot of time in bars.

ResidentAlien*

Peter said:
Oh I see.....so your real name is slats432??? No?! *shock* *shudder*
Then what ever you post must not be reputable.

That shouldn't be too tough for you to understand.

lol...hehe...
I like the laughs im gettin here today!
Iam no longer disgusted..now I just want to be amused!
Thanks

X0ssbar

The Messenger said:
Because a CBA is a long term thing .... What goes down may also come back up again ..

If neither side expects Revenues to return then why bother at all ??

What will league Revenues be like in 2 years or 4 years from now ??.

Why is a possible short term Revenue drop a basis for negotiation and CBA .. Unless the NHL is Clairvoyant and can read the tea leaves NO ONE knows what TRUE damage this lockout has done to the Industry ..

Both sides are equally guilty for this mess and neither side has presented an offer that has been acceptable to the other side and thus no deal yet.

I could see both sides agreeing to a salary cap without linkange and then once revenue reached an agreed amount I could also see both sides agreeing to switch to a linkage based system at that point.

This could be a win-win for both sides. The NHLPA gets to live under a cap until the NHL rebounds (the NHL takes the hit in the short term) but once the NHL is back up to say, late year's revenues levels for example, the NHL gets its linkage/partnership and the NHLPA also gets a cap that should increase. Chances are very slim that NHL revenues drop once that level is reached moving foward.

Shawnski

Jan 8, 2004
The Messenger said:

Truly... incredible... "logic".

... Not.

Wow. Of all the forums I read, of all the opinions therein, and of all the candidates for a "Darwin" type poster award, I think I have finally found a winner for '05. Even with almost nine months to go, there can't possibly be another post/poster that could compete with this.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Why is a possible short term Revenue drop a basis for negotiation and CBA ..

Then why not try linkage since linkage is the answer to your question. That way owners and players go up and down with the revenue tide. Of course, players don't want linkage...........

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:

Just what exactly did the players do to earn this $1.5B that they then gave up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad