NHL still isn't must-see tv for Americans

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I don't care if the NHL never increases in popularity in the US. As long as the popularity of the league builds so there are 24 solid markets for the game to support the US teams I think everything is good.

The NHL makes enough money to attract the elite players from around the world, and to me that is all that matters. We get to watch the best hockey league in the world and if some Americans choose to not care about it who cares. It is not like if the NHL signed a billion dollar TV deal we would see ticket prices dropping. The NFL has a great deal and their ticket prices are outrageous. ( especially if they played in arenas where only 20 k could attend a game so it went to the highest bidder ).

The NBA doesn't seem to care that people in Canada have incredibly low interest in the NBA. They are content with the money they make from the league. If you look at the ratings for the NBA in Canada, vs NHL in the US the NHL does great.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hockey games are often must-see in Detroit, Buffalo, San Jose, Denver, etc.

But hockey SHOULD be must-see in Philly and Chicago and it isn't!!!!!!!!!!!

the goal is to make hockey must-see in New York and L.A. but it'll take the Rangers and Kings to make that happen!

hockey never will, never was, must-see in non-hockey markets... it was expected to capture enough interest in hockey markets to become must-see there, which of course are most of the major cities in America and so by extension must-see generally, in a sense

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Hockey games are often must-see in Detroit, Buffalo, San Jose, Denver, etc.

But hockey SHOULD be must-see in Philly and Chicago and it isn't!!!!!!!!!!!

the goal is to make hockey must-see in New York and L.A. but it'll take the Rangers and Kings to make that happen!

hockey never will, never was, must-see in non-hockey markets... it was expected to capture enough interest in hockey markets to become must-see there, which of course are most of the major cities in America and so by extension must-see generally, in a sense

I dunno about that. When the Rangers won the cup the Ratings weren't all that great.

Staalweiser

Apr 3, 2005
Aus.
i like how your comment puts americans down for not liking 'foreign' sports but to start your comment you bash two sports foreing to your country football and baseball...hypocritical me thinks

How so? I like hockey don't I? And that's as foreign as it gets here. In fact, a lot of us here in Australia enjoy North American sports. I doubt it's the other way around. (I bet you guys wouldn't even know what sports we play - scratch that, I doubt you would even know where our country is).

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I seriously doubt it is because people think it's boring. Even guys that I know that don't care for it I've gotten them to watch playoff games and they all said it was exciting. We watched the first game between the sens and sabres last year and they loved it. The problem is they don't care enough to watch it again. That's the biggest problem the NHL has.

Staalweiser

Apr 3, 2005
Aus.
Of course it's not boring. As I said, I took to hockey when I was young because I thought it was a more exciting game than baseball or basketball (I was a big baseball/basketball fan when younger, especially basketball). It's not that I dislike baseball or basketball, it's just that now I have the choice of the four sports, I find hockey most appealing.

I think it the NHL marketed itself properly, some fans could be won over by the sheer excitement and pace of the game. But I still don't think you'll win over those brought up heavily influenced by baseball or football. (And no, before you start, I'm not bashing it, I just feel that's the case).

And I make this point because here in Australia, we are a country divided by two football codes. One half enjoys "Rugby League", the other "Australian Rules Football". Australian Rules can market itself all it likes up north (where they follow Rugby), but they simply don't get the majority of the fans to change codes because they've been brought up with Rugby all their life. But, you do get a small percentage of followers changing after being exposed to the more exciting game (Australian Rules, in my opinion).

I feel the same could be with American sports. Of course, maybe I'm not allowed to comment because I'm not American, but maybe it's a similar situation. You'll get the minority who switch because it's more exciting, but you'll get the majority who stick with what they were raised on. Exposure helps, of course. With my example, Rugby doesn't have a chance where I live, because it has little coverage (you still get diehard fans, of course). Same with hockey in the US.

But, I don't think it'll ever get big in the US, and that's fine. I don't see why it needs to be. As long as that small minority of diehard fans sticks by the product, it'll be fine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hockey isn't must see in Philly...is that why there is very scarce empty seats when I go to Flyers games? I mean I am a season ticket holder I think I'd know. Just because we don't sell out every single game, doesn't mean people don't come out. You want to complain about Philly to something complaing about the Sixers. Last season we were voted the #1 hockey city by The Sporting News for a season

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Hockey isn't must see in Philly...is that why there is very scarce empty seats when I go to Flyers games? I mean I am a season ticket holder I think I'd know. Just because we don't sell out every single game, doesn't mean people don't come out. You want to complain about Philly to something complaing about the Sixers. Last season we were voted the #1 hockey city by The Sporting News for a season

Yeah, philly is good hockey city, heck I'll go one step further and say they are a better hockey city than Toronto. Why you ask? Well the AHL phantoms do really well, while the marlies draw flies. Not to mention that the flyers do really well too and everyone knows Philly is a eagles town first.

But, I don't think it'll ever get big in the US, and that's fine. I don't see why it needs to be. As long as that small minority of diehard fans sticks by the product, it'll be fine.

That's the problem, will it be able to sustain these hardcore fans forever? I mean I don't think it will be a problem in this decade, but even these hardcore fans can only take so much you know?

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan

I couldn't figure out how hockey wasn't big in Philly, from the statement made before. But being from Canada I couldn't really challenge what it was like on the street, even if it did seem quite odd.

SPARTAKUS*

I could care less if Hockey isnt popular in the states,

becuase up here in Canada there is nothing bigger.

I agree completly with you. Who cares what Americans think. And I am sick and tired of hearing NHL isn't must see tv for Americans. The games of hockey is to quick for them to understand...they can't see the puck oh wheres the puck....oh well it's their lost. Like I said before the NHL needs to realize that hockey=Canada and Canada=hockey.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Well said SPARTAKUS, I'll be sure to put zero stock in future posts I read from you. What's your reason, where's your reason? I musta lost it with the puck.

================
wow... no offense man... but no. If you are going to include mexico (since it is apart of north america) and I am sure many of them have never heard of Hockey.

Mexico rulz D-III of the WCs.

================

People I talk to have no interest in hockey primarily because they don't follow it and have confessed that they probably wouldn't pay much attention to it even if it received better coverage. This has nothing to do with a "hockey city" or a "non-traditional hockey city". They never got into the sport, never played the sport, never really watched the sport and thus, as a sport, it flies under thier radar.

Jazz

I dunno about that. When the Rangers won the cup the Ratings weren't all that great.
Remember when in 1994 SI had it's often quoted article here about the NHL's hot and the NBA's not.

Well, remember that was after:
Chicago (I think #3 TV market in the US at the time) made the finals in 1992
Los Angeles (#2 TV market) made the finals in 1993, and
New York (#1 TV market) made the finals in 1994 (and won).

There was a direct correlation.

Brad*

I agree completly with you. Who cares what Americans think. And I am sick and tired of hearing NHL isn't must see tv for Americans. The games of hockey is to quick for them to understand...they can't see the puck oh wheres the puck....oh well it's their lost. Like I said before the NHL needs to realize that hockey=Canada and Canada=hockey.
It's cute how you attempt to insult the intelligence of the American hockey fan, yet you fail miserably at basic spelling and grammar.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You would be right if it wasn't for the fact that while Canada = hockey, money = America. They don't need to market the game in Canada, they do in America. America is where the money is, not Canada. You fail to realize that the viability of the NHL relies on its American markets, not the Canadian ones.

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
They just need to advertise it better. I'm suprised it doesn't sell when theres hitting and fighting involved.

Hitting and fighting sells?! Well it's good then that hitting and fighting is markedly down in the 'new' NHL.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I say the other night, because I have no idea when the first puck was dropped. I'm pretty sure it happened sometime between a Frank Thomas homer and a Terrell Owens rant, but only because I stumbled upon a late-night clip of the Avalanche playing the Stars. Or was that indoor lacrosse?

This is exactly what is wrong with sports in America. More attention is given to these whiny athletes and their drama then is deserved. The NHL isn't must see, because there isn't one person on ESPN who knows anything about the sport, and hockey is given 5 minutes of highlights a day. Maybe the sport would have a larger following if they ever got any attention. And this writer obviously has a problem with the NHL.

I know why ESPN elects not to push hockey. It is because most people see it as a sport for the priveledged. That is why you never hear about it. And that is why Chris Paul wins the Espy for break out performance over Ovechkin and Crosby.

But there aren't enough transcending personalities to sell hockey to the average Joe bouncing between T.O.'s return to Philly and the Yankees' disaster in Detroit.

And is idiot proves my point. Why does the average Joe know nothing about hockey and its players but is up to the minute on what T.O. is saying and the Yankees? Because that is all you see on ESPN. ESPN influences people like a cable news station. They are shown what the producers want them to see and are oblivious to anything else. They have their agenda, and hockey isn't part of it.

"Transcending personalities"? And then he mentions T.O., is that some kind of sick joke? T.O. isn't some guy who is an awesome person and makes every little boy want to be him like Jordan or somebody. The guy is a whiny punk who is a disgrace to organized sports. Sure he brings the sport attention, but for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe if they interviewed Colby Armstrong on ESPN News one day, they would find out that hockey is a sport loaded with great guys. Not loaded with raping, drug dealing, drug using, wife beating, shooting, stabbing, murdering, spoiled, whiny punks.

Sidney Crosby, boy wonder, is being pumped as the Next Gretzky, but it would sure help the league if the Next Gretzky after the Next Gretzky was born in New York, Chicago or L.A. instead of Nova Scotia.

I think what he means is that if Crosby was from an poor neighborhood in one of Americas cities, he would be given the time of day by American sports writers. God forbid we appreciate an athlete from Canada. God forbid we appreciate an athlete who plays a sport dominated by whtie people.

The bias against hockey in this article makes me want to find this writer and knock his face in.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Who cares ?

The NHL is a niche sport. Who cares about low TV ratings ? Here in Florida , I am more concerned about the atmosphere at games.

I DONT want to see every single freakin aspect of the game sponsered:

Here is the penalty kill brought to you by Terminix.

This face off sponsored by the Ft. Lauderdale center for plastic surgery. :banghead:

I DONT want to pay 7 dollars for a beer. Beer should be 3 dollars, thus doubling the amount of beer I can purchase.

I DESPISE the noise meter and music played during stoppages. ORGAN MUSIC ONLY.

I WANT to see fighting in a game. Its entertaining and sets hockey apart from other sports. Bettman shouldnt be trying to sanitize the game for America.

I WANT to see a rowdy, passionate crowd. Yell at the refs, jeer the goalie, bang on the glass. LETS GET CRAZY!

I NEVER want to hear somone say: "Can you sit down ?"

NO, I'M CHEERING FOR MY TEAM. I'M INTO IT. GET OUT OF YOUR SEAT AND START CHEERING.:yo:

End Rant.

Thoughts ?

Zelepukin Lives

Jul 27, 2006
Oregon
You would be right if it wasn't for the fact that while Canada = hockey, money = America. They don't need to market the game in Canada, they do in America. America is where the money is, not Canada. You fail to realize that the viability of the NHL relies on its American markets, not the Canadian ones.

That's not true. Just look at the great talent level of the Canadian Football League.:sarcasm:

2x4*

I am American and I think basketball is the worst sport ever created, and I don't care at all for baseball. I own center ice, and so far have 6 pairs of tickets in the 100 level to sabres games this season.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
This is exactly what is wrong with sports in America. More attention is given to these whiny athletes and their drama then is deserved. The NHL isn't must see, because there isn't one person on ESPN who knows anything about the sport, and hockey is given 5 minutes of highlights a day. Maybe the sport would have a larger following if they ever got any attention. And this writer obviously has a problem with the NHL.

Barry! Barry!! Barry!!! and Buccigross, although PortlandRanger would object to Barry. ;)

espo*

The NHL is a niche sport. Who cares about low TV ratings ? Here in Florida , I am more concerned about the atmosphere at games.

I DONT want to see every single freakin aspect of the game sponsered:

Here is the penalty kill brought to you by Terminix.

This face off sponsored by the Ft. Lauderdale center for plastic surgery. :banghead:

I DONT want to pay 7 dollars for a beer. Beer should be 3 dollars, thus doubling the amount of beer I can purchase.

I DESPISE the noise meter and music played during stoppages. ORGAN MUSIC ONLY.

I WANT to see fighting in a game. Its entertaining and sets hockey apart from other sports. Bettman shouldnt be trying to sanitize the game for America.

I WANT to see a rowdy, passionate crowd. Yell at the refs, jeer the goalie, bang on the glass. LETS GET CRAZY!

I NEVER want to hear somone say: "Can you sit down ?"

NO, I'M CHEERING FOR MY TEAM. I'M INTO IT. GET OUT OF YOUR SEAT AND START CHEERING.:yo:

End Rant.

Thoughts ?

You have the right attitude.

SPARTAKUS*

That's not true. Just look at the great talent level of the Canadian Football League.:sarcasm:

Hey budy I am 100% sure that if we took our the CFL champ and your NFL champ and play a two game series one in Canada with CFL rules and field and the other in the us with NFL rules and field the CFL would kick your ***. But the NFL would never have the balls to do something like that because they are affraid of loosing tho the lowly CFL. Why is it that the MLB champion are the "world champion" the same with basketball and football always the world champion" ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad