OT: NHL Statement on Russia V Ukraine War

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
U.S. Imports from Canada of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day) (eia.gov)

Pelosi is doing a lot of tough talking tonight about Russian oil imports and the need for other petroleum sources

I know a country that is already helping to the tune of 4M bbls a day--which are record levels (see graph) but even if Keystone expansion was approved tomorrow (see Harris, Biden and Pelosi for details) additional significant help is at least 3 years away.

Pity no one told them before this--we offer long life reserves, a stable political climate and some of the toughest environmental standards in the World. But hey keep on talking tough.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Pelosi is doing a lot of tough talking tonight about Russian oil imports and the need for other petroleum sources

I know a country that is already helping to the tune of 4M bbls a day--which are record levels (see graph) but even if Keystone expansion was approved tomorrow (see Harris, Biden and Pelosi for details) additional significant help is at least 3 years away.

Pity no one told them before this--we offer long life reserves, a stable political climate and some of the toughest environmental standards in the World. But hey keep on talking tough.

I don't think i could handle American money flowing back into the oil patch. I can barely get a day off as it is.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019

f*** them they said they didn’t want our Oil.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It's easy to talk tough and promote a possible nuclear war and economic sanctions when you have access to millions of dollars and underground bunkers. No good guys in this war, only victims and profiteers.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Republican politicians have donors with $$$ at stake in Canadian oil. Democrats have money tied up in...dun dun dun....eastern European oil. They shutdown those pipelines to hurt the GOP's fund raising and want to put troops in Ukraine because it lets their donors line their pockets and they get kick backs from it.

If Trump was in office we'd still be investing in Canadian oil and tapping our own reserves to keep gas prices down and subsidize the EUs energy needs during the current crisis. Democrats will let everyone suffer just to screw over their competition. After shutting the pipelines down Biden has been buying oil from Russia - he helped finance their invasion and is still refusing to re-open the pipelines. It's utter madness.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yup, that's right but Russian energy imports aren't just an American problem.

If it had not been for LNG shipments from the USA (in Canada we missed the boat on LNG exports) Europe would already be in a major energy crisis--even with Russian natural gas imports. Right now natural gas is trading on European markets at a spot price of 50+ bucks per mcf. That is more than ten times what the spot is in Western Canada. Now, take away Russian imports and you have a complete disaster on your hands.

I understand the sentiment involved but so many politicians in North America are economic illiterates. As they say in Texas-- "all talk, no cattle."

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Say what you want about Canada's current government (I certainly have), but I think we have been leaders in the economic and strategic charge against Russia. I just assume that the majority of that comes from Freeland, who probably speaks better Ukrainian than she does French, who, as a Rhodes Scholar of Slavic studies, understands Slavic history, relations, and context probably better than any of the experts we've been citing in this thread, and who has the personal high distinction of being on Russia's sanction list and has been on the KGB's radar side since she was, I think, 20 years old.

I've been watching the MP sessions on CPAC, and I'm actually quite proud of the conservatives recognizing credit where it's due, and not making this a political football. We need more of this, if for nothing else than to fight the Russian propaganda machine that has served as the thin edge of the wedge that has been used to divide us so severely. I have a long weekend and have had a few Scotch whiskys, so maybe I'm being a little sentimental. But I'm a Ukrainian who doesn't give a flying f*** about populism or politicking right now, and at the end of the day, we know what's right and what's wrong; and I'm proud that Canada is on the front line of a war against a few Russians who use the threat of nuclear war to protect their creepy experience of the decadence offered by Western wealth while at the same time decrying its evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad