NHL Stars who refused captaincy

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I know Trevor Linden with the Habs was one of the finalists but it ended up being Koivu.
Jagr asked not to be in Florida.
Modano I believe had it stripped off.

Asking because I heard a story though a guy today of one who refused and rather it go to somebody else although he was most deserving.

As far as saku koivu goes, he was voted captain by the players.... So I don't even know how linden had a chance to refuse it.

Linden did lose his captaincy a few years before that to messier when the Canucks signed him under the Keenan regime. I think he put on a brave face during that time but I doubt he was very happy about it.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
jordan staal refused it this past year, which is why the hurricanes had 4 alternates instead.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think he was offered it but there was speculation that Hall would be named captain when Eakins was hired. They went with Ference and Hall said he was happy with the decision because he didn't feel ready to be a captain.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Borje Salming once turned down being captain of the Maple Leafs in the late 1980's and had he accepted he would have become the first ever NHL European born captain, instead of Mats Sundin who got that honor.

Last edited:

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I know Trevor Linden with the Habs was one of the finalists but it ended up being Koivu.

It was Shayne Corson not Linden. And Koivu simply won the vote of the players over him. Corson did not refuse the C.

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
Lemieux refused it during his comeback season in 2000. Let Jagr keep it, who then proceeded to cry like a ***** and demand a trade the following offseason.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Couple that I can't verify, but remember reading at some point:

Crosby I believe was offered the C a year before he actually became captain, but refused.
Hull gave up the C to Corson when he was traded to the Blues.

Hull gave it up willingly?

I always read that Keenan made him do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad