NHL Stars who refused captaincy

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I know Trevor Linden with the Habs was one of the finalists but it ended up being Koivu.
Jagr asked not to be in Florida.
Modano I believe had it stripped off.

Asking because I heard a story though a guy today of one who refused and rather it go to somebody else although he was most deserving.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Some story about Darryl Sittler cutting the C off his own jersey just to spite Ballard, I think.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Some story about Darryl Sittler cutting the C off his own jersey just to spite Ballard, I think.

This is true. There was no Leafs Captain for 9 months after Sittler removed his C in protest of Lanny McDonald being traded. Sittler also had an incident with the C while on the Flyers - he was told that he was being named captain and on the day it was supposed to be announced, with an acceptance speech in hand, he was instead told he was traded to Detroit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Selanne might have in his second stint with the Ducks at one point... My memory is fuzzy on that one.

Might have been an alternate captaincy I'm thinking of though. Like he didn't wear the A full time until there was the in team vote that named Getzlaf the successor to Niedermayer.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
modano didn't refuse it... he was actually pretty butt hurt that they gave the C to morrow, and from what i gather, it is still a sticking point in the stars/modano post-retirement relationship.

he hasn't really handled much anything with class in recent years, however.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Jagr wouldn't take it in 05-06 with the Rangers because he had only played a handful of games with the team and felt he hadn't earned it yet.

He took it starting in 2006-07.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
You got plenty of answers as it is but more of a question this time, didn't Chelios say that he liked going to Detroit because he wouldn't be THE guy and the captain or something like that?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Eric Desjardins couldn't cope with the pressure of being Flyers captain and it was given to Keith Primeau part way through the season

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Couple that I can't verify, but remember reading at some point:

Crosby I believe was offered the C a year before he actually became captain, but refused.
Hull gave up the C to Corson when he was traded to the Blues.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Pretty sure both Thornton and Marleau gave up the C in SJ?

Don't forget the ridiculous Luongo/Canucks experiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad