NHL Stanley Cup Favorites for 2019 - Where do you rank the Penguins?

Where would you rank the Pittsburgh Penguins in terms of Stanley Cup favorites for 2019?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Pittsburgh Penguins won 2 of the past 3 Stanley Cups.

They've been wildly inconsistent in the regular season for the past 2 (more?) seasons - yet historically in that stretch they tend to come around come playoff time. A month or 6 weeks ago there was a lot of talk around here about Pitt missing playoffs, and being last in east at some point, etc etc. They went on an 8 game winning streak recently - Crosby has been playing great. Malkin isn't having his best season - but he showed last season he can still be the best in the league for stretches, and so you have to think he can still raise his game up a step this year at the right time. As a top 2 they are hard to beat, even in 2019.

Tampa Bay is an absolutely ridiculous team this year. They aren't far from being on-pace to beat the all-time record for wins and points. Of course they started strong last year too and slowed down in the 2nd half. They did very good in the playoffs the past 3-4 years - but they haven't actually won a cup yet with this core, always falling short. Good chance a cup winner (especially in the east) has to go through them at some point.

Washington Capitals. All the talk of Pitt having Washington's number - well last year Washington beat them and won the cup. Washington looks great again this year. For Pit to win the cup - there's an even bigger likelihood they have to go through Caps again.

Lots of other strong teams in the east. Toronto, Boston, Columbus....

Lots of great teams out West too. Nashville, Winnipeg, Vegas, San Jose, Calgary...

No "if the playoffs started today" or anything of the sort. Playoffs start in April. No teams (not even Tampa) are guaranteed a playoff spot so far - so they have to qualify first.

Where would you rank the Pittsburgh Penguins in terms of Stanley Cup favorites for 2019?

1. #1 - They are the favorites.

2. Top 3. Among the top 3 overall contenders

3. Top 5. Among the top 5 overall contenders

4. Outside the top 5. At least 5 teams are stronger cup contenders

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Tampa, Washington, Winnipeg I would put ahead of them. They are in the next, but extremely close group of Nashville, Pitt, Calgary, Toronto.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It's hard to put another eastern team in the top 5 knowing they must go through Tampa. They would need to be such massive favorites against the western field for the math to work.

Reactions: Silky mitts

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's hard to put another eastern team in the top 5 knowing they must go through Tampa. They would need to be such massive favorites against the western field for the math to work.

That's part of it. I want to say Tampa, Washington and Pitt (not in any order) are the top 3 favorites overall - but all being in the same conference (let alone Pitt/Wash in same division) has to hurt the math, somewhere.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think they are close to 5, but might be just outside

Tampa is in a group by themselves as the clear front runners

I'd put Washington, Nashville, Winnipeg in the next group

Then I think any of Toronto, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Boston, Vegas, San Jose could be 5th

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I said top 5.

You could make a case for top 3.

I do not see a case for outside top 5. If there is one, I'd be interested to hear it.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
At the start of the season I said there was a CLEAR top 5. Generally has stayed the same:

Washington
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Winnipeg
Nashville

I could see arguments to include San Jose and Calgary in that elite group

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think the pens are at #3 behind Washington and Tampa. They would beat anyone that came out of the west (unless it's Chicago).

Reactions: leafsfan5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the pens are at #3 behind Washington and Tampa. They would beat anyone that came out of the west (unless it's Chicago).

Chicago out of the West, New Jersey out of the East. What is it with these otherwise poor teams the Pens have so much trouble with?

In any case, I'd probably be hesitant to put them Top 3 if for no other reason than I'm still skeptical about their defense after the Letang/Dumoulin pairing. If JR can upgrade the second pairing and/or Schultz comes back and plays to his capabilities by the playoffs, then that might change.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
When the playoffs start, if they’re in and not riddled with injuries or something, I rank them high. Maybe as high as anyone else. This core knows how do it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I said top 5. I would probably put Tampa and Washington ahead in the East, and while I'm not sure if I would put anyone ahead in the West in a head-to-head, the West has an easier road to the finals

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Pittsburgh makes it interesting every year. You know that Rutherford will make another big splash at the TDL.
If Murray is on, and they play like we all know they can, they are still the team to beat.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
1. Tampa
2. Winnipeg
3. Washington
4. Nashville
5. Calgary
6. Boston
7. Toronto
8. Pittsburgh
9. San Jose

Not In the top 5, but then again there’s not a lot separating 3 and 8 in a playoff series
IMO

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Man, all this Winnipeg talk... I just don’t see it... Also Tampa obviously looking like the favorite, but I’ll believe it when I’ll see it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
While I love the compliments, playoffs are different than the regular season. Washington and Pitt, to the extent they would be "underdogs" to Tampa, would be minor ones at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad