OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think historical summer ratings are all that applicable right now.

Of course not. And certainly some tv revenue is better than none. Not really a point of controversy. Could anemic numbers impact the upcoming new media deal? It's already a weak, fragmented media environment, ad revenues will continue to decline, and having a weird ad hoc tournament that appeals mainly to secondary markets like Tampa or St Louis doesn't do the NHL much good.

My preference is simply for a regular resumption of play in fall 2020, not two disrupted partial seasons. Maybe that's too optimistic.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Covid 19 acts like the flu, then it will abate somewhat during the summer months, and show up again in the late fall, and increase through the winter. Not good news for the season next year, but at this point i think the NHL, and other sports, are just trying to put one foot in front of the other.

Reactions: TaLoN

P10p

May 15, 2012
how many more than ZERO people would have to die for you to think it was a bad idea to play?

Take your talk of ZERO to the family of the under-40 guy that used to serve beers and burgers down the block and died in March... tell them how close to ZERO his life was.

Try and sensationalize all you want. Numbers don't lie. Young people(-40) are VERY capable of fighting off this virus for the most part let alone professional athletes.

Of course people die. Its tragic. That goes without saying.

But now that we have a better understanding of this, and the data supports this, reopening isn't much of a crazy idea.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Also I would like to know why its now my responsibility to explain the concept of death to whomever in your proximity may be suffering from a loss.

Would you like me to explain the death of a mother who smokes to her motherless children?

PEOPLE DIE TRAGIC DEATHS EVERY SINGLE DAY

How does this argument strengthen your covid case. You're simply looking for likes by playing the white knight and it is absolutely pitiful.

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Of course not. And certainly some tv revenue is better than none. Not really a point of controversy. Could anemic numbers impact the upcoming new media deal? It's already a weak, fragmented media environment, ad revenues will continue to decline, and having a weird ad hoc tournament that appeals mainly to secondary markets like Tampa or St Louis doesn't do the NHL much good.

My preference is simply for a regular resumption of play in fall 2020, not two disrupted partial seasons. Maybe that's too optimistic.

I don't know why scrapping a season is optimistic at all, let alone "too optimistic". Starting late next year isn't close to the end of the world, even if it takes a couple years of maneuvering to completely get back to normal.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't know why scrapping a season is optimistic at all, let alone "too optimistic". Starting late next year isn't close to the end of the world, even if it takes a couple years of maneuvering to completely get back to normal.

Teams have played 70+ games... hardly scrapping it. It would be like in 1919... no champion due to deadly disease. If they start the playoffs in August (best case scenario), it entails a truncated season in 2020-21 too. I'd prefer the 82 games and playoffs thing that has mostly worked and been fun to follow.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If by not having the playoffs this summer ensures that Kaprizov will be under contract with the Wild for opening night this coming October, then I'm in favor of not having the playoffs this summer.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Also I would like to know why its now my responsibility to explain the concept of death to whomever in your proximity may be suffering from a loss.

Would you like me to explain the death of a mother who smokes to her motherless children?

PEOPLE DIE TRAGIC DEATHS EVERY SINGLE DAY

How does this argument strengthen your covid case. You're simply looking for likes by playing the white knight and it is absolutely pitiful.

And you simply just care about the $ or the supposed "infringement" upon your freedom. Even worse than white knight approach.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Teams have played 70+ games... hardly scrapping it. It would be like in 1919... no champion due to deadly disease. If they start the playoffs in August (best case scenario), it entails a truncated season in 2020-21 too. I'd prefer the 82 games and playoffs thing that has mostly worked and been fun to follow.

If you don't play it to a finale, you're scrapping it.

It'll get back to the normal 82 game thing soon enough. Weird times sometimes mean that our personal preferences can take a back seat. If they really feel like they can pull it off, I have no issue with them trying.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Your preference has no impact on what the NHL and NHLPA want to do. The NHL is a business and the NHL players have a job.

The players right now are looking at a HUGE loss in escrow that they will pay back to the league, and are facing a HUGE drop in salary cap going forward since their salaries are tied directly to league revenue, they are only guaranteed 50% of the revenue. They are looking at severe across the board salary loss as the league revenue plummets.

The league resuming the playoffs will help limit that damage as they will at least get some of the TV revenue incoming. Unfortunately for the league, it's been a gate driven revenue league, so they are still taking a SEVERE hit.

Add in the fact, that it's expected that there will be a 2nd wave come fall/winter, it's possible that if you don't get a functional procedure in place now when the better weather limits the severity of the illness and it's level of contagiousness, you may run into bigger problems when those things aren't in your favor and you find your procedures aren't good enough and end up having to stop after starting.

Doing this now will likely allow them to adjust better on the fly and have a more robust procedure to start next season successfully as well when the time comes.

Both the league AND the players for the most part, want to do this... who are WE to tell them they can't? Players want to work just like I want to work. Not all players are the super rich Sidney Crosby's of the league.

Also not surprising Staal is one of those against it since he's made his money and is more about family at this point than playing hockey. Most of his peers though want to play, and so they will.

Last edited:

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
My daughter starts her delayed summer hockey June 1st. Only allowing 20 people on the ice at one time. Come to the rink dressed. Cut back from 30 hours to 20. Most tournaments are cancelled so they’ll have to scramble to find fall tournaments.
Hockey is moving forward in Minnesota regardless of COVID-19.

Last edited by a moderator:

P10p

May 15, 2012
And you simply just care about the $ or the supposed "infringement" upon your freedom. Even worse than white knight approach.

What do you gain by putting words in my mouth?

I have no problem at all with the restrictions and lock down. I think it was better to be safe than sorry.

I speak only on data and i'll repeat it again so maybe you can understand it this time...

People under 40 are very capable of fighting off this virus in the VAST majority of cases. The healthier you are, the better your chances are. These professional athletes are perhaps the lowest risk of the entire population.

"Everyday people" are losing their ability to provide for their family and certain disciplines are working harder jobs under more dangerous conditions with little extra reimbursement while these guys get paid as if they're super heroes to hide away in their mansions all while being the least likely group in our population that it would affect.

Well, I say go and play your hearts out. Inspire people with leadership and character, grit and determination. Give thousands of people who are wallowing in despair something to look forward to, something to get excited for. Go be super heroes..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
while these guys get paid as if they're super heroes to hide away in their mansions all while being the least likely group in our population that it would affect.
Just for the record... these guys aren't getting paid anything to sit at home. They also won't be getting paid anything to play in the playoffs. What they hope to do, is limit the amount as much as possible that is taken away from them that they were already paid... in escrow. The only way they can do that is by playing, which is why most want to play.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Just for the record... these guys aren't getting paid anything to sit at home. They also won't be getting paid anything to play in the playoffs. What they hope to do, is limit the amount as much as possible that is taken away from them that they were already paid... in escrow. The only way they can do that is by playing, which is why most want to play.

Sorry, just meant in the general sense. Not directly right now, though they did just receive their last checks at the beginning of the month iirc which i'm certain are a pretty penny.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sorry, just meant in the general sense. Not directly right now, though they did just receive their last checks at the beginning of the month iirc which i'm certain are a pretty penny.
Which they will owe far more back to the league in escrow due to lost revenue. It's a check that they won't really get to keep.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Which they will owe far more back to the league in escrow due to lost revenue. It's a check that they won't really get to keep.

Not if they finish this season as the league is trying.

Their salaries tie directly to league revenue. If the league loses half of its revenue so do the players. making 3mil instead of 6mil is a pretty sweet deal though. Hell, making 250k instead of 500k+ still puts you in an elite bracket.

You're not going to get the woe is me reaction you're looking for when it comes to players salaries..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not if they finish this season as the league is trying.
The NHL is a gate revenue driven league. All these games without fans isn't even going to come close to recouping the revenue lost when there are zero fans in the stands, no concessions being sold.

BTW- not sure why you think I'm trying to get you to think woe is me for them... I'm just pointing out why they want to play. Nothing more.

P10p

May 15, 2012
The NHL is a gate revenue driven league. All these games without fans isn't even going to come close to recouping the revenue lost when there are zero fans in the stands, no concessions being sold.

BTW- not sure why you think I'm trying to get you to think woe is me for them... I'm just pointing out why they want to play. Nothing more.

My bad, wasn't trying to target you, just the thought in general.

But the NHL makes a big chunk of their revenue off of tv deals too. And a bigger deal is coming too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
According to a former NHL'er I know, the NHL isn't profitable unless there is a gate involved.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
According to a former NHL'er I know, the NHL isn't profitable unless there is a gate involved.
The profits went out the window months ago. This is about minimizing the losses. TV money is better than no TV money.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Exactly the case. The NHL was expecting this next TV deal would finally change that, but with the huge hit to the economy, that may not change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad