NHL schedule IF they start up again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
If the league really does start up on March 1 with a 30 game schedule there are some interesting thoughts of how this shorten year would pan out.

I would advocate the following:

1) 30 game conference only play
2) every NHL team makes playoffs this year
3) top teams in each division gets first round bye
4) the rest play best of three games
5) 2nd round seeded from 1-8 and is best of 5
6) final rounds are best of 7
7) playoff revenue shared 60/40 in owners favor

Thoughts?

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
How would you decide your order of selection in the 2005 Entry Draft?

If you go by the standings in a short season where everyone makes the playoffs, I would tell my coach to play the backups and rookies in the short regular season, and wouldn't mind at all going into the playoffs seeded last with fresh veterans for the playoff run...

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
I respect your dreams, but the fact is, there WILL NOT be any NHL this year! The only thing left to do, is for the Fat Lady (Bettman) to Sing, the season is over! The media is dragging this out, only to get ratings. Heck, no Hockey Central if they don't have the lock out to talk about.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
GabbyDugan said:
How would you decide your order of selection in the 2005 Entry Draft?

If you go by the standings in a short season where everyone makes the playoffs, I would tell my coach to play the backups and rookies in the short regular season, and wouldn't mind at all going into the playoffs seeded last with fresh veterans for the playoff run...

I would say that the order for the 2005 draft would be based on how the teams finished in the playoffs. That way there would be a bit more incentive to try to win (and not throw in the towel for Crosby).

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
28 game, innerconfrence round robin
  • 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie or OTL
    Shootout after 5 minutes of 4 on 4 to determine a winner

Top 8 seeds make the playoffs from each confrence
  • no division winners
    4 best of 7 playoff rounds

Teams not making the playoffs are then from 1-14 based on round robin play, GF, GA
Lottery is then drawn for those 14 teams and the first 14 draft spots taken accordingly

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Peter, according to your system, after the first-round bye, there would be 9 left in each conference (3 division winners, plus 6 winners of the first round series). With 9 teams in each conference, there would be an odd team left out.

Even if you made the playoffs intraconference, you would have 6 division winners, plus 12 teams getting through the first round. They would then play a second round, and once again, you'd be down to 9 teams after the second round is over. Once again, an odd team out.

If the league had 28 teams, it could work out perfect mathematically, but having 30 teams makes it a bit more complicated.

Last edited:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Biggest Canuck Fan said:

• no division winners

Teams not making the playoffs are then from 1-14 based on round robin play, GF, GA
Lottery is then drawn for those 14 teams and the first 14 draft spots taken accordingly
no ties -

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
I like 30 games, interconference play only. No division winners, and top 8 make the playoffs. I'd like to keep the Playoffs standard though, all rounds are best-of-seven.

I don't like the first round being a best of five.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Biggest Canuck Fan said:

• no division winners

I agree with everything except for the shootout. I’m not totally opposed to it down the road, but if they played this season there would already be enough people moaning about the "sanctity" of a 28 game season without adding shootouts, which will throw all the purists into a tizzy.

As long as they play a full Stanley Cup playoff tournament as it has been played, I don't see anything that would tainted about it. If they played 28 regular season games every team would know that each regular season game is that much more important before the season starts. If a team misses the playoffs they have no excuse. And once the playoff starts, as long as the Stanley Cup winner had to win four seven game series, there's no legitimate argument that they didn't earn the Cup. A shortened season wouldn't make winning 16 playoff games any easier... only one team will do it.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
I like the idea of interconference play only, 28 games, (home and away vs. each team). No division winners, normal playoff (4 rounds, best of 7). Any draft lottery should not be heavily weighted so no one tanks to get Crosby. Basically the same thing that BCF suggested, without the shootout.

EDIT: darkboy beet me to it.

Crazy Lunatic

Biggest Canuck Fan said:

How can you have ties when games are decided by shootout? Next years draft has to be a lottery with every team involved. There is no incentive for teams not to tank on purpose to get Crosby.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
darkboy said:
I agree with everything except for the shootout. I’m not totally opposed to it down the road, but if they played this season there would already be enough people moaning about the "sanctity" of a 28 game season without adding shootouts, which will throw all the purists into a tizzy.
if all 12 "purists" who refuse to go to an nhl just because of a shootout hold true on their promises, we can sell their tickets to the 100 new fans who want to see it, and will stay to the last moment of the game to see it. how may people are leaving early for parking lot when there is a shootout about to happen? all the more intense in a shortened schedule. aside from the people who post here, who actually is going to fight the shootout? no one.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
struckmatch said:
I like 30 games, interconference play only. No division winners, and top 8 make the playoffs. I'd like to keep the Playoffs standard though, all rounds are best-of-seven.

I don't like the first round being a best of five.

I think they might have to make it best of 5, maybe even the second round.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
darkboy said:

As long as they play a full Stanley Cup playoff tournament as it has been played, I don't see anything that would tainted about it. If they played 28 regular season games every team would know that each regular season game is that much more important before the season starts. If a team misses the playoffs they have no excuse. And once the playoff starts, as long as the Stanley Cup winner had to win four seven game series, there's no legitimate argument that they didn't earn the Cup. A shortened season wouldn't make winning 16 playoff games any easier... only one team will do it.
Are you saying the geriatric ward down at the ACC might have a chance at it?

SPARTAKUS*

Biggest Canuck Fan said:

• no division winners

I'll go along with that
:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad