NHL Rivalry Series: Rangers and Islanders

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Even as hockey leagues all over the world take a hiatus, the Last Word on Hockey team is still devoted to publishing quality content in the absence of live sports. Such begins a new series: the NHL Rivalry Breakdown.

Each article will take a look at two longtime rivals and break down how the rivalry came to be, how the teams stack up against each other currently, and how the matchup may look down the road. This next edition takes a look at one of the oldest rivalries between the New York Rangers, and New York Islanders.
The Past

The Hudson River Rivalry, which is the rivalry between New York Rangers and the New Jersey Devils is more established in history. The “Battle of New York” has intensified in recent years.

See more here

NHL Rivalry Breakdown: New York Rangers and New York Islanders

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not that I want to dispute this too much but IMO the Rangers rivalry with the Islanders is as least as nasty as that with the Devils. I stopped reading though when Daniel Cloutier's name comes up in the 1984 playoffs. I'm pretty sure Dan Cloutier was the last guy drafted in the 1st round of the 1994 NHL draft. So I think you need to revise a bit.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Even as hockey leagues all over the world take a hiatus, the Last Word on Hockey team is still devoted to publishing quality content in the absence of live sports.

The Hudson River Rivalry, which is the rivalry between New York Rangers and the
New Jersey Devils is more established in history.

However, it will be interesting to see how they deal with their goalie situation. Will they give King Henrik Lundqvist the recognition and respect he deserves? Or, will the above-average Igor Shesrekin take the reigns?

That's quality?

The rivalry with the devils may be more recent but it's only more established in history if you're too young to remember actual history.

Allowing "Shesrekin" (whoever that is) to play at 24 instead of Lundqvist at 38 is not giving Lundqvist the recognition and respect he deserves?

There's a hideous explosion of wannabees playing sports authority in their basements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad