NHL revenue projections/cap likely to be revised downward

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The NHL just projected a $83M salary cap for next season but this article says with a decline in attendance, and the Canadian dollar, that it will likely end up at $80M.

article is in French, this is the Google translation

FEARS ARE CONFIRMED

• a column in October , the NHL had a modest 3% increase this season compared to last year.
    But projections have been revised downwards (which is never good news) and we are now talking about an increase of only 2%, the smallest increase since the arrival of the salary cap in 2005! The average in the last 13 years was 6% and you say that a 4% decline is huge.

An impact everywhere

Last week at the meeting of the NHL Governors on Sea Island, Gary Bettman predicted that the salary cap would be $ 83 million next season, up $ 3.5 million from this season. It would be surprising, if not unrealistic, for this goal to be achieved. It should also not rule out the possibility that players demand that the salary cap increase by only $ 1 million - so it would be $ 80 million - because they are forced to place a high percentage of their salary in trust ( escrow) to allow homeowners to earn 50% of the league's revenue.

The AJLNH reacts

Ticket sales are down this season in the NHL, as is the Canadian dollar, which is 75 cents against the US dollar, when it was close to 79 cents a year ago. For the second quarter, the Players' Association is forced to ask its members to withhold 13.5% of salaries to put this money in trust (11.5% was placed in trust in the first quarter), which will rekindle the grumbling inside the AJLNH.

This grumble obviously comes at a bad time, knowing that the players will be able to reopen the collective agreement on September 15th.

Les craintes se confirment - TVA Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 22Brad Park

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Hard to believe with economic growth numbers as high as they are in Canada and Moreso the US. Record low unemployment, wage growth etc. FX issues only impact 7 teams.

Reactions: Morrison

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The 83 mil number was based on the players electing the escalator at a certain percentage (somewhere between 0 and 5%). It could still be 82 mil or more depending on what they choose.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
The 83 mil number was based on the players electing the escalator at a certain percentage (somewhere between 0 and 5%). It could still be 82 mil or more depending on what they choose.

The escalator is pointless though. You artifically inflate the cap but increase escrow along with it - the players don't make any more money.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The escalator is pointless though. You artifically inflate the cap but increase escrow along with it - the players don't make any more money.

Yet then they still complain about it like they are being robbed. Hockey players aren't exactly known as math whizzes.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Based on my math, if revenue growth is indeed only 2%, the absolute maximum that the cap could be using the entire 5% escalator would be 84m. The NHLPA will almost definitely not use the entire 5%. This past year they used 1.25%. If they use 1.25% again, using the 2% revenue increase, the cap would be at 81m.

*I rounded some of these numbers for ease of understanding so they are not exact.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
How the f*** do you go from potentially a $3.5m increase to only a $0.5m increase over the span of a week or two?!?

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How the **** do you go from potentially a $3.5m increase to only a $0.5m increase over the span of a week or two?!?

This is the only source I have seen claiming this.

I feel like this is true, every major reporter would be talking about it, yet, crickets.

So I'm Skeptical for now. Doesn't make sense that last week the NHL projected 83M. It's not like they didn't know the lower Canadian $ and what revenues were at then

Reactions: The Macho Man

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This is the only source I have seen claiming this.

I feel like this is true, every major reporter would be talking about it, yet, crickets.

So I'm Skeptical for now. Doesn't make sense that last week the NHL projected 83M. It's not like they didn't know the lower Canadian $ and what revenues were at then
I've expected for months that it'll hit 82m and I still expect that when everything is said and done. Still crazy to think there'd be an article from a pretty reliable site saying that it could possibly only go up by half a million.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've expected for months that it'll hit 82m and I still expect that when everything is said and done. Still crazy to think there'd be an article from a pretty reliable site saying that it could possibly only go up by half a million.

Like I said, no one else is even talking about this. No statement from the NHL. Nothing from any of the usual insiders. Nothing.

Until then, I see this as nothing but speculation.

Maybe everyone else is waiting for confirmation before publishing their stories, and TVA is taking a risk in order to be the first, but, it seems odd.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I mean... the players with long-term contracts basically are losing money to help other players get paid.

Escalator has been invoked every year, so the cap would have been inflated for those players too.

The time to cut off the sugar would have been last summer when it had a large jump from 75 to 79.5...but nope.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Hard to believe with economic growth numbers as high as they are in Canada and Moreso the US. Record low unemployment, wage growth etc. FX issues only impact 7 teams.

Canada counts outsourcing your $70K a year job to China or Mexico and forcing you to work 2 $30K a year jobs instead as “job growth”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad