NHL Re-Alignment and the Pacific Division - How do you feel?

Aug 3, 2010
While I'm sure that we've talked about it in passing, I thought it might be good to have a dedicated topic about the new division alignment that the Calgary Flames now find themselves in.

As a reminder, here are the teams in the Pacific:

Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks

All 30 teams will also play each other at least once in the new season schedule.

The playoff format is as follows:
NHL.com said:
The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division.
It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the conference championship series.
The winners of the conference championships advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

Who do you think Calgary will find new rivalries with?
How do you feel about inter-divisional playoffs?
Do you think Calgary could gain an advantage with these new alignments?
Do you feel the reduced travel for Western teams will affect a young team like the Flames?

I personally like the new divisions although I'm not in favour of the 16/14 split of teams between conferences. I'm excited for the possibility for inter-divisional playoffs and I think Flames fans will discover new animosities toward Anaheim and Los Angeles the most although it will never heat up the same way as any of the Flames' traditional Canadian rivals.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Pretty much guarantees last place for us! No way that Edmonton sucks again this year... and if they do I will be super surprised. Phoenix might have some struggles but I expect them to also beat us.

Im ok with this however. Need the picks and need a proper build. Not expecting much in the coming years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Will be dominated for a couple seasons. Vancouver, SJ should fall off soon enough, their big boys are getting up there in age...
Dunno. Flames will be last or second last in that division for probably a couple seasons, then hopefully we right the ship.

mdexm

Apr 2, 2013
Who do you think Calgary will find new rivalries with?

Most rivalries are born in the playoffs, so hard to say what will happen years down the road when the Flames make it again. I doubt we'll ever have a rivalry with any of the American teams. I can only see the BoA strengthening as both Alberta teams get better, and the Vancouver rivalry reigniting as they taper off and the Flames get better (so it's more even).

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
As of right now, the only team that's remotely close to us in terms of skill is Edmonton.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The whole system seems unbalanced and pedantic. The only real upside is improved travel time for certain teams. The Flames also look to be the weakest of our group for the moment.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
We have a tough divison and will likely be at the bottom for a while. You never know though, stranger things have happened. With emerging players like backlund, Baertschi, Brodie, etc...it certainly makes one wonder if we could see a major breakout or 2 this coming season. Add the fact that we have a complete ??? In net. What happens if ramo/Berra/ortio come in and take the NHL by storm, it is a possibility.

Aug 3, 2010
It's going to be tough playing in that division.

This. I would not be surprised seeing us in the basement for a few years because of this.

Will be dominated for a couple seasons. Vancouver, SJ should fall off soon enough, their big boys are getting up there in age...
Dunno. Flames will be last or second last in that division for probably a couple seasons, then hopefully we right the ship.

Dat last place.

Would you say that we're in an "advantageous position" as to where the Flames "should be" in terms of where you as a fan want them to draft?

AKA is this tough division actually a silver lining?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Being in a tough division is good for the Flames in the long term. Easier to get that #1 pick overall :naughty:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
New rivalry with Anaheim because now the Flames are no longer the top team in their division alphabetically.

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
Let's just say I'm glad they decided to go full rebuild cause there was no way in hell they could have contended in this new division with the team that started last season.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm happy that it's a tough division now and in the future. I want the Flames to get a good pick while playing a high level of competition, not to be the worst of a bad division.

I also like the fact that in the future when the Flames again rise from the ashes there should be some truly intense competition outside of the Vancouver/Edmonton rivalries. It's a good division to be in.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Same as before, Points dictate the bottom 14, then by seed and playoff exits.

Still with the same seeding for division winners who lose in the first two rounds? Only four of them now, so I was wondering if that might be expanded to, say, top 2 in each division.

Anyway, I think that in a few years, this will be a great division for us. I expect the Sharks and Canucks to fall away, and the Coyotes to stay the same. I think that the Oilers and Flames will be the top two in a half a decade.

TylerSVT*

Still with the same seeding for division winners who lose in the first two rounds? Only four of them now, so I was wondering if that might be expanded to, say, top 2 in each division.

Anyway, I think that in a few years, this will be a great division for us. I expect the Sharks and Canucks to fall away, and the Coyotes to stay the same. I think that the Oilers and Flames will be the top two in a half a decade.

I'm sure points will be the tiebreaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad