NHL ranks Hall 31, McDavid 45, and Eberle 63

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
How will the Oilers retain McDavid when at 24 he demands a 12 mil/year salary

If he is demanding 12 mil/yr after 3 years then he must be coming off 3 100 pt seasons and a cup or two. Seems like a good problem to have. Like others have mentioned you simply move out money where ever you have to so that you can resign him, but honestly our cap is in much better shape than fans of other teams seem to think.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
How will the Oilers retain McDavid when at 24 he demands a 12 mil/year salary

The same way every other team retains their superstar highly paid players. For him to demand that means the players around him are doing pretty friggen good and could be traded if necessary too. Love how people are trying to dismantle our team before it even succeeds.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Baffles my mind that people are saying the Oilers won't be able to afford to keep Macdavid after 3 years. This is a team that has a very wealthy owner about to move his team into a new arena in a city that has been selling out for years while paying some of the highest ticket prices in the league. If the Oilers can't afford to pay him then who can?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Baffles my mind that people are saying the Oilers won't be able to afford to keep Macdavid after 3 years. This is a team that has a very wealthy owner about to move his team into a new arena in a city that has been selling out for years while paying some of the highest ticket prices in the league. If the Oilers can't afford to pay him then who can?

I think people mean in terms of the cap? :help:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Here's hoping that if he can stay healthy and motivated, Hall can prove to be a top 20 player. That being said, kind of a weird list. Kopitar and Weber way too low.

Weber has some really bad looking advanced stats.
He's a beast. When you say beast he's one of the 3 first hockey players that come to mind.
He makes good decisions in his end and clear the net.
He's got a nasty nasty nasty slap shot... that being said there are parts of his game that don't show up in the advanced stats and I'm pretty sure that's why he's ranked lower.
NHL has to use these stats to rank players because these are the same stats that are being used to argue the usefulness of players in arbitration hearings.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

They do, but still.

If McDavid lives up to his potential this organization would do anything to accommodate his resigning. And really the only long term contracts are Hall, RNH, and Eberle for a super modest 6 mil per.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
i think he's talking about more than just the cap. Everybody has the same amount to spend. Why would the Oilers not be able to fit Macdavid in their cap structure while other teams can? Doesn't make sense to think that. Had he said not everybody would be able to stay, I'd agree. It was specifically said, can't afford to keep Macdavid. To me that's some kind of reference to what happened here with Gretzky. That's why I made comments about the franchise's stability in my previous post.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think the list is fine.

No one on this team has proven anything.

Let's hope that next year's list has our players a lot higher

This. Why would the individual contributions of players rank high when their team has been perennially among worst clubs?

Have our go to players other than maybe Hall deserved high rankings overall? Based on their overall NHL play?

We have a pretty much complete team here that has never learned to play in ownzone or play D that chronically give up a ton of goals and frankly as a team don't score much. They don't win either. if anything the rankings are high based on select offence and one way play they have featured.

Eberle for instance is the closest version to a practicing half court NHL player I've ever seen here.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's Fantasy Rankings. I have Hall pretty low in my draft order too, simply because of his injury history. It makes a difference in fantasy. He is a better player than many listed above him though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We have 12 million at least in wasted cap space with overpaid guys like Purcell, Nikitin, Ference, etc. If we stop overpaying players, we won't need to worry a ton about how we pay McDavid.
This right here. Every dollar needs to count from now on. No more terrible contracts from here on out. Getting rid of Mactavish was a step in the right direction from this perspective alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad