Boston Globe NHL puck is going high-tech

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
NHL puck is going high-tech - The Boston Globe

The hockey puck as it’s been known forever, that humble 6-ounce chunk of hard rubber patented decades ago by Bruins general manager/coach Art Ross, has left the building.
There’s a new kid in NHL rinks, and this is fitted with a tiny embedded battery, a circuit board roughly the size of a half-dollar, and 6-inch-long tubes that emit infrared light at 60 pulses per second — fast, yet still two beats behind Connor McDavid on a breakaway.

“Crazy, isn’t it?” said the NHL’s Dave Lehanski, an executive vice president who has helped steer the puck’s development the last 7-8 years. “It almost has a life of its own.”

Crazy ain’t the half of it, especially for those of us who remember maddening nights of pond hockey, searching in the dark, knee-deep in drifted snow for pucks gone astray. Where were those light beams then?!

The space-age pucks, which cost the NHL some $40 each to produce, will make their debut next week in the NHL’s 31 arenas, all part of the league unveiling its long-anticipated Puck and Player Tracking technology for use in broadcasts and, undoubtedly, the tidal wave of legalized betting about to wash over all pro sports.

Rest assured, the new puck will look and sound the same as the old model — 6 ounces, 3 inches wide, 1 inch thick. Based on exhaustive testing, noted Lehanski, players have reported it feels the same on their sticks, fires just like the old version, and bangs off pipes and boards with honest-to-Boom Boom Geoffrion auditory authenticity.
“We tried to leave no stone unturned,” said Lehanski. “A big part of the testing was just getting players to play with it. How does it feel on your stick? How does it sound when you shoot it? So it was hours and hours and hours of testing . . . and when the players told us they couldn’t tell a difference, we knew we were in a good spot.”

The key tech element of the new puck is its battery-powered infrared light, the beam essential to a triangulation system that also incorporates 16-18 cameras mounted inside every arena. Every NHLer also will be outfitted with an infrared tag — approximately the size and shape of a pack of gum — slipped into the backs of their sweaters.

All the light beams and all the associated PPT technology, other than cameras mounted in the ceiling and elsewhere in the arena, will not be visible. Every move of puck and players will be tracked, recorded, and all of the info streamed into a giant data punch bowl.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
DefenselessTotalGourami-size_restricted.gif

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
At $40 A pop, the league must be glad there are no fans. That's an expensive souvenir.;)

My first thought, too. Back in the FoxTrax days, there were tales of fans being chased down with offers of a new puck and a t-shirt for the Fox Trax puck. Most of the fans said "$$*(#%$ off, buddy". The prototypes supposedly started at $400, but they got them down to $15.

Honestly, a $40 puck isn't too bad. How many pucks legit fly over the glass to fans per game? Maybe 10? Definitely the right order of magnitude - it's not 1, and it can't be 100. But I guess if you put it over an entire season, each team loses about $16,400 in the regular season. Subtract off about $400 for the price of 400-ish "normal" pucks bought in bulk, and $16K is a rounding error to Jacobs.

I must be the only one who didn't think Fox Trax was a complete embarrassment. I saw the ASG in Boston that featured them on NESN within the past 6-7 months, and while it was hokey, it was easily ignored, I thought.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
If it ain't broke don't fix it...

cool. you still ride a horse ? how about live in a cave?

dumb to not progress and improve.

This is also the first step into automating such things as off sides and goals. We are half a decade away from chips in skates and pucks that could work along the blue line. Wouldn't even need the linesman. Play would die immediately every time too.

Or do you prefer keeping the play going until there's a goal, then reviewing it, sometimes inaccurately?

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I feel like they've been promising player and puck tracking for 4 years. Tech in the jerseys, tech in the pucks, actual factual data on possession stats... Hope this is the year it actually comes to fruition.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
cool. you still ride a horse ? how about live in a cave?

dumb to not progress and improve.

This is also the first step into automating such things as off sides and goals. We are half a decade away from chips in skates and pucks that could work along the blue line. Wouldn't even need the linesman. Play would die immediately every time too.

Or do you prefer keeping the play going until there's a goal, then reviewing it, sometimes inaccurately?

Check my location....yes, yes I do.....

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I feel like they've been promising player and puck tracking for 4 years. Tech in the jerseys, tech in the pucks, actual factual data on possession stats... Hope this is the year it actually comes to fruition.

They used it last year in the playoffs.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I do like the human element even when it leads to a mistake.

The whole thing where the entire goalie can be in the net but “you can’t see the puck so it’s no goal” I do have a problem with. This should help that.

I always thought replay should only be used on calls that really affect the play and also just simply buzzed down with the call, no iPads in the penalty box. Watching an iPad to see if you could slide a piece of paper under a players skate to call an offsides was ridiculous.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I haven't seen or heard much about either puck or player tracking 3 games in.

I have seen charts for zone times, but they were previously tracked manually.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The NHL is temporarily ditching microchipped pucks six days into the season after concerns were raised about their performance.
The league announced games from Tuesday night on would be played with pucks made for last season. A review showed the first supply of pucks used for tracking weren’t finished the same way as those from the playoffs, when player and puck tracking made its debut in the conference finals.
The first 44 games this season were played with the “tracking” pucks, and some players and coaches could tell were a little off.
“I was aware that the NHL was using a different puck,” Philadelphia Flyers coach Alain Vigneault said. “I thought a couple times it didn’t slide as well on the ice. We didn’t know if that was the puck or the ice surface.”

NHL pulls microchipped ‘tracking’ pucks 6 days into season - The Boston Globe

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad