NHL prospect career in jeopardy over video game addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gaming fad, lmao. Thanks, Gramps. I'm sure your generation never had anything addicting. Sounds like you couldn't git gud so now instead of recognizing video games as a hobby/job/eSport you just brush it off as irrelevant or a "fad" (still can't believe you called it a fad).

You realize this is a message board for people who literally watch something they don't or can't do, right?

But the highest athletic achievement.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Not sure how old you are but I can completely relate to your contempt for this and the upcoming generation that is flat out addicted to terrible games and continue to feed their addiction by watching other people do the exact same thing they are doing.

My first gaming experience was the Atari and then went from C-64 to Amiga500 , 1200 to PC then PS1 and then just completely quit because I felt like I was wasting a lot of time. Mind you this was well before online gaming and the closest I ever got to "multiplayer gaming" back in the day was hanging out with the teammates and taking turns against each other on the PS1.

After a somewhat longer "gaming" break I got myself a 360 and then moved on to the Xbox One which I still have, so it's not like I'm completely foreign to gaming and how it can be fun especially when you have a stressful day.
I however never felt the need nor desire to be the best at moving my fingers with a controller in my hand while sitting on my ass.

It's a sign of our times that something as silly as e-Sports is now considered for the Olympics and in some cases is more popular than sports which require true dedication and physical prowess as opposed to spending 48 hours eating Doritos, drinking Mountain Dew and just trying to get the muscle memory down pat in your fingers.

Yes, sure I'm the old angry man yelling at the cloud or whatever meme you want me to be. This whole gaming fad is however still a perfect example of how we as a society have moved towards trying to escape reality.

Let those sour cream tanned kids have fun and make some dough, it's their life and they can do whatever stupid thing they want to do.

How cute.

Let me know when you can form your own responses and ideas rather than being lazy (all too common in the gaming communities).

I am not surprised that you don't see the difference between watching people achieve highest athletic feats and watching people with head phones stare at a screen while moving around virtual/non-existent figures/creatures while they barely move a muscle.

If you want to make comparisons, pick chess or darts.. maybe you'd have a point. But this meme is, just as e-sports, silly.

Again, your comparisons are lacking.

Playing video games is an activity.

Playing sports is an activity.

Watching sports is not an activity.

Watching people play video games is not an activity.

So why would you compare an activity to an inactivity?

I'm a huge fan of making sweeping generalizations and I really don't care. I'll judge whoever I want, when I want and I'm fine when people do it to me.
But back on topic.

Watching people achieve highest ATHLETIC achievements is different from watching people play out imaginary situations.
If you don't see a difference there , I can't help you. We just won't agree.

Let me use your lingo here: LOL

Dart players show more physical prowess than any video gamer.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much pretentiousness in a string of comments in my life. Wouldn’t be surprised if you saw this accomplishment as better than those in videos games either.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Again, your comparisons are lacking.

Playing video games is an activity.

Playing sports is an activity.

Watching sports is not an activity.

Watching people play video games is not an activity.

So why would you compare an activity to an inactivity?

I'm a huge fan of making sweeping generalizations and I really don't care. I'll judge whoever I want, when I want and I'm fine when people do it to me.
But back on topic.

Watching people achieve highest ATHLETIC achievements is different from watching people play out imaginary situations.
If you don't see a difference there , I can't help you. We just won't agree.

Sure, playing video games vs watching sports wasn't the point. I pointed it out because you clearly like watching sports. So the people who watch games are on the same level as you, a sports fan.

And if only watching the highest athletic achievement is worthy, then no one should watch amateur sports, or junior leagues? And if imaginary situations are not worthy, then no one should watch TV or movies?

Many video games are seen as stories to play out. How is watching a 3 hour game play through different from watching a 3 hour Hollywood movie?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Not sure how old you are but I can completely relate to your contempt for this and the upcoming generation that is flat out addicted to terrible games and continue to feed their addiction by watching other people do the exact same thing they are doing.

My first gaming experience was the Atari and then went from C-64 to Amiga500 , 1200 to PC then PS1 and then just completely quit because I felt like I was wasting a lot of time. Mind you this was well before online gaming and the closest I ever got to "multiplayer gaming" back in the day was hanging out with the teammates and taking turns against each other on the PS1.

After a somewhat longer "gaming" break I got myself a 360 and then moved on to the Xbox One which I still have, so it's not like I'm completely foreign to gaming and how it can be fun especially when you have a stressful day.
I however never felt the need nor desire to be the best at moving my fingers with a controller in my hand while sitting on my ass.

It's a sign of our times that something as silly as e-Sports is now considered for the Olympics and in some cases is more popular than sports which require true dedication and physical prowess as opposed to spending 48 hours eating Doritos, drinking Mountain Dew and just trying to get the muscle memory down pat in your fingers.

Yes, sure I'm the old angry man yelling at the cloud or whatever meme you want me to be. This whole gaming fad is however still a perfect example of how we as a society have moved towards trying to escape reality.

Let those sour cream tanned kids have fun and make some dough, it's their life and they can do whatever stupid thing they want to do.

It sounds like i am in your age bracket (i am 44). I have the exact same gaming experience as you do. I agree with everything you say here.

And to clarify i have no issues w people playing video games. Whatever makes you happy. Its just quite strange to me.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Because one is based on reality? The other is based on some guy pushing buttons.

A guy pushing buttons is very much part of reality.

Anyway, us watching a sport vs a video game requires exactly the same amount of effort and involvement. So I am still very unsure of the point you are trying to make outside of the usual "oh it's buttons so it's no real". Ok...?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It sounds like i am in your age bracket (i am 44). I have the exact same gaming experience as you do. I agree with everything you say here.

And to clarify i have no issues w people playing video games. Whatever makes you happy. Its just quite strange to me.

It can be strange and that's fine. It's when judgment is passed down, especially on a place like HFBoards where we are all people who watch other people do things and cheer for teams of those people. Again, if your approach is "it's strange" that's fine and acceptable, especially being someone a bit older. IamNotADancer's posts have a completely different tone and response to the matter though.

Reactions: ttp

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Why are The Olds™ like this?

Most of them are unable to explain themselves with coherent thoughts, but I do know where they are coming from in the sense of us as a society slowly drifting to a more "virtual" world and connecting with each other less and less. The ironic part about is that this has been a result of the development of civilizations in multiple parts of history.

Sure I also don't like that everyone has their faces in their phones and never interact with each other but I find it ironic and dishonest when the older generations have been bringing this upon future generations without realizing it. I am sorry, but watching a sport on TV vs actually playing the sport is exactly in the same line of progression as the cellphones and video games are: the way we disconnect with each other and look for "virtual" entertainment.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Because one is based on reality? The other is based on some guy pushing buttons.

Ok. How about movies then? There's movies that are not based on reality. Some cartoons are made on computers, essentially some guy pushing buttons. So is a computer animated movie worth the same as a walk-through of a video game? Neither are based on reality.

Reactions: BonMorrison

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It’s absolutely fascinating to see someone whose idea of a good time is watching other people play a game on television, attempt to explain that e-sports is dumb.

What I find even more fascinating is how many of these people seem to exist.

You would think at least a few would stop plugging their ears and digging the trench deeper after they realize that their attempts to defend their position are illogical and incoherent.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I have a close friend who is a moderator for probably the most prolific League of Legends streamer on Twitch. He spends hours every day watching streams. I thought it was the weirdest thing, as the streamer basically sits and talks to himself for hours while playing games. Then I started watching streams for games I played and I realized how enjoyable it was. Then I got into watching the streams for Competitive LoL games and realized it was really no different than watching Hockey or Baseball (I find the commentators really cringey, but other than that...).

At the end of the day, you're watching a TV/PC monitor for entertainment. Who cares if you're watching I love Lucy, Game of Thrones, Poker, or some dude playing a video game? The more I thought about it I wonder if watching people play games on stream almost taps a nostalgia trip for those of us who grew up watching our older siblings playing video games (my older brother always had first dibs, and eventually I just started to enjoy watching him play the games).

Reactions: Weast and Peanut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad