NHL possibly getting bumped for a WNBA game

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It may be depressing to all of us, but Caitlin Clark is a much bigger sports star than Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, or any other hockey player.

Many more Americans know who Caitlin Clark is.

I literally just learned who she is after clicking on this thread. But if it makes the WNBA a better league, good on them I guess.

Reactions: BB79

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
With the caveat that I personally find soccer horrendously boring, merely noting that others might disagree with your conclusion. The Impact of Messi’s Arrival on US Soccer Fandom - SSRS.
I mean hey, I'm a soccer fan so I'm all for it if it can have a lasting impact. I've just found that the World Cup cycles tend to have more of an impact than any one player on the growth of the sport in the country.

FWIW I feel the same way about Clark and the WNBA. If she's what gets the league to some level of respectability then that's awesome. Remains to be seen long-term though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It may be depressing to all of us, but Caitlin Clark is a much bigger sports star than Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, or any other hockey player.

Many more Americans know who Caitlin Clark is.
Yeah, but that's where the problem is, they don't really know anyone else.

Good for them to get prime time on ESPN, but unless there's more Caitlin Clark's coming, it will more than likely drop back down in viewership

Reactions: BB79

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm shocked that anyone is surprised by this. Caitlin Clark is one of the biggest stories in sports this year, and basketball far exceeds hockey in interest level in the USA. I'll bet her first game draws far more viewers than any NHL playoff game in round 1.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The fact that she a bigger draw then ta 100 year old “ 4th major sport” is a problem

In the United States, hockey is not the 4th major sport. NASCAR and college football/basketball are more popular than the NHL. The NHL is slightly more popular than the UFC, but less popular than women's college basketball.

The most popular U.S. sports leagues to watch​

#AnswerAnswer %
1Football, NFL (National Football League)65%
2Basketball, NBA (National Basketball Association)51%
3Baseball, MLB (Major League Baseball)42%
4Football, NCAA College Football30%
5Basketball, NCAA College Basketball (Men's and Women's)25%
6Auto racing, NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing)24%
7Hockey, NHL (National Hockey League)20%
8Auto racing, F1 (Formula 1)17%
9Combat Sports, UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)17%
10Combat Sports, Bellator MMA (Bellator Mixed Martial Arts)13%
11Basketball, WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association)12%
12Soccer, MLS (Major League Soccer)12%

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
I mean hey, I'm a soccer fan so I'm all for it if it can have a lasting impact. I've just found that the World Cup cycles tend to have more of an impact than any one player on the growth of the sport in the country.

FWIW I feel the same way about Clark and the WNBA. If she's what gets the league to some level of respectability then that's awesome. Remains to be seen long-term though.
As an old-timer, I have some natural reticence to all these newfangled leagues, but have come to recognize that sky-high ticket prices and media oversaturation have tuned out a lot of folks to particular sports and so I guess it is natural that some of the newer sports will gain a foothold.

Soccer doesn't surprise me because it has spread like wildfire at the youth level. Maybe somebody else can look up the stats, but it would not come as a shock if soccer at the youth level has now surpassed the traditional sports of baseball, football and basketball.

Reactions: DaveG

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Wait, she's playing like days after being drafted?

Like a week after the NCAA season ended?

What a weird scheudle. You don't see that in men's sports.
If the WNBA is going to have any following they can't compete with the NBA and they can't even compete with NCAA so they have to work around those schedules

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It'll be interesting to see how long Caitlin Clark will keep interest peaked. It is good for thr WNBA though. Not sure if it will translate to the rest of the teams or really beyond the first couple games but they will ride the wave for as long as they deem profitable. Im kindof interested myself to see the scoresheet at the end of the game... not enough to watch though. For the record, i just dont watch basketball.... just interested to see if she can keep up the production from college to pro

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
With the caveat that I personally find soccer horrendously boring, merely noting that others might disagree with your conclusion. The Impact of Messi’s Arrival on US Soccer Fandom - SSRS.
Soccer has never caught on in America, Americans in general like fast paced action and lots of scoring. Add to that, society is "instant gratification" on all levels today. Click a button and it's done. Exactly why baseball has suffered huge setbacks in popularity over the last 30 years and sports like lacrosse and MMA gained in popularity.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't know who this person is but as long as I get to watch the games I want to watch, I don't really care if others want to watch a women's basketball game.

Reactions: luiginb

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how long Caitlin Clark will keep interest peaked. It is good for thr WNBA though. Not sure if it will translate to the rest of the teams or really beyond the first couple games but they will ride the wave for as long as they deem profitable. Im kindof interested myself to see the scoresheet at the end of the game... not enough to watch though. For the record, i just dont watch basketball.... just interested to see if she can keep up the production from college to pro
NCAAW BB draws because fans get to know the players as unlike their Men's counterparts, the best stay in college for 3-4 years as the payout in the WNBA isn't as good, so they finish school first.

Now, can the WNBA take the push that Clark will give them and build on it? That remains to be seen.

Other teams will aim to stop Clark, as they should. Question is do they embrace the attention that they bring and be positive.

I think this is a vital year for the WNBA with Clark coming in. She needs to continue to play well and the WNBA has to market her well.

Reactions: HBK27

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
NCAAW BB draws because fans get to know the players as unlike their Men's counterparts, the best stay in college for 3-4 years as the payout in the WNBA isn't as good, so they finish school first.

Now, can the WNBA take the push that Clark will give them and build on it? That remains to be seen.

Other teams will aim to stop Clark, as they should. Question is do they embrace the attention that they bring and be positive.

I think this is a vital year for the WNBA with Clark coming in. She needs to continue to play well and the WNBA has to market her well.
I watch the nhl network pretty religiously and saw and seen about 3 commercials with her in the commercial yet Connor mcdavid , the nhl generational player can’t get on attention on the leagues own network. What a joke league.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
A bunch of people I know that wouldn't be caught dead talking about the WNBA were watching March Madness this year and talking about Caitlin Clark. When someone's good enough to make a basketball league with even less prestige than the WNBA the talk of the town, they're clearly a big deal. I don't see any issue with her debut pushing a playoff game to ESPN2. More people are gonna watch it, it's just common sense.

I personally have just about zero interest in basketball, but I was watching some of the Iowa games this tournament. Was an interesting story for a number of reasons. I'm not sure how well that's going to translate over to the WNBA though unless Clark is able to dominate there as well, which will certainly be much tougher.

Her first game will surely draw a lot of interest though, so this move makes sense. As long as the NHL games are televised somewhere, it's not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad