NHL possibly getting bumped for a WNBA game

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
She's the all-time leading women's scorer in NCAA history and she only played three years. Or did she have an extra year of eligibility because of COVID?
Wasn’t there something that the previous leader played when there was no three point shot. And another woman scored more but played when women’s basketball wasn’t in the NCAA?

But you have to be impressed with the tv viewers she and her team got in the tournament. I can’t blame ESPN if they give priority to her first game instead of a Stanley Cup game. If I ran that network, I would.

Of course I am reminded that the regular tv episode with the most viewers (no Super Bowl, moon landing or series finale) was the January 8, 1964 episode of “Beverly Hillbillies” when Granny thinks a kangaroo that escaped from the zoo is a giant jackrabbit.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This is absolutely shocking to me, what's the draw? Is she really that good that it's legitimately worth tuning in to see?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Wasn’t there something that the previous leader played when there was no three point shot. And another woman scored more but played when women’s basketball wasn’t in the NCAA?

But you have to be impressed with the tv viewers she and her team got in the tournament. I can’t blame ESPN if they give priority to her first game instead of a Stanley Cup game. If I ran that network, I would.

Of course I am reminded that the regular tv episode with the most viewers (no Super Bowl, moon landing or series finale) was the January 8, 1964 episode of “Beverly Hillbillies” when Granny thinks a kangaroo that escaped from the zoo is a giant jackrabbit.
People complained when Maris broke Babe Ruth's home run record because they played more games.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kinda funny when some people try to compare the NHL to the NBA. NHL can't even keep up with WNBA lmfao
Lmao bruh lmao

This is the first time in history anyone cares about the WNBA and it’s because the NCAA record holder got drafted .

People complained when Maris broke Babe Ruth's home run record because they played more games.
That’s a legitimate complaint though

Reactions: DaveG

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Anybody else just learn who Clark is? Lol.
I had no idea who she was until march madness started, then she was all I saw anywhere online. I also couldn’t name you 3 men’s college basketball players though. Was she a big name before the tournament or did the hype just start up recently?

Reactions: HolyCrap

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I had no idea who she was until march madness started, then she was all I saw anywhere online. I also couldn’t name you 3 men’s college basketball players though. Was she a big name before the tournament or did the hype just start up recently?
I heard of her last year because Iowa made the final the too

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
When this game happens, it will be deep into the second round. Which means there will be four series happening, and probably two each day on alternating days. So even if there were two Stanley Cup games happening at the exact same time of day as the Caitlyn Clark debut, there's still ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. And doesn't TNT broadcast playoff games, too?

I'm sure the game will be somewhere.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
You brought looks into the equation when we are literally talking about the GOAT.

You are the problem.

You said this after talking about "fragility of men" when you can't take the truth. Ironic.

It's similar to why Crosby was more marketable than Ovechkin. A Russian vs a North American boy next door. Tough call.

It is what it is.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Folks just looking to get mad at something.

Sprinkle in that it's a women's league and you're gonna get a lot of the usual commentary.
The same people who get upset when their favourite team or favourite player is not considered as objectively good as another are the same people who get upset when their favourite league isn't as popular as others.

A lesson to carry those people to the end of their days is: if they enjoy it, nothing else matters.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
More talent in the league than ever and Gary and co. still can't figure out how to grow the sport.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Just accept that women’s basketball is getting more popular. NCAA women’s final did 14 mil in viewers. The NHL could only dream of touching that.
Not sure if you're being serious but March Madness viewership is for gambling. WNBA finals got 700k.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is absolutely shocking to me, what's the draw? Is she really that good that it's legitimately worth tuning in to see?

Female player who can hit 3's from anywhere, it's like watching Curry play. Dominated Div1 NCAA, tuned in last weekend for the NCAA finals, she was definitely living up to the hype.

14.2 million views for her finals game is insane, last years SCF was averaging 2.5M per game. She's going to singlehandedly carry the WNBA.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Going by the words from up top, it seems WNBA players are going to blow past NHL salaries and hit the 50 million range soon

Reactions: Primary Assist

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Going by the words from up top, it seems WNBA players are going to blow past NHL salaries and hit the 50 million range soon

I had to look up Caitlin Clark because I was curious and had no idea who she was. The first thing that popped up was "Gap between Caitlin Clark's WNBA salary and here male counterparts' draws outrage. Clark will pocket $338,056 over four years under her contract with the Indiana Fever. In contrast, last year's No. 1 NBA draft pick secured a $55 million four-year contract."

I really don't think the WNBA having the spotlight for a game on one network is hurting the NHL.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This is the first time I've ever heard of Caitlin Clark, but basketball is huge compared to hockey so this isn't that surprising.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So nothing burger. I love hockey. Basketball is way more popular. Dem's da breaks.

Nobody is disputing the NBA is more popular that's just true.

The WNBA only exists because the NBA allows it that's also true.

If the NHL gets bumped for a league that only exists because a better league allows it to
Then the NHL should be embarrassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad