NHL policy on recreational cannabis when legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I’m currious what the NHLs policy is going to be on players using cannibius when it’s legal in Canada come July? It will still be illegal in the United States (although some states it is legal it is still illegal federally) there have been many NFL players suspended for marijuana usage...
It will be completely legal in 7 of the NHLs cities so what happens if a player from Buffalo after a road trip to Canada positive for Marijuana?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
They likely will ban it. All they have to do is label it a banned substance like several other legal prescription meds and enforce it as such.

No way in hell will they allow players to use it recreationally.

Right the NHL bans some legal prescription meds...but marijuana is going to be legal recreationaly..you will be able to smoke a bong on your front porch with a police cruiser sitting out front...but it will still be illegal in the vast amount of the NHLs cities...I’m sure their policy is ignoring it but let’s say a star player tests positive in the U.S after a road trip to Canada? A team from Canada wins the cup in Canada... NHL has no issue with players drinking champagne and beer on live TV...legally in Canada there will be no difference with a player smoking a bong in the dressing room after a win...

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
From what was written in one of those Player Tribune articles, the league already turns a blind eye. A lot of guys use it already for pain and stress
that's what i remember reading too, that it's on the list of tested "recreational drugs" but there's no discipline if you pop for it

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Meh..... It's not exactly a "performance enhancer"... unless you're entering a hot dog eating contest.
and this is exactly why cannabis is still illegal, completely wrong misconceptions based off jokes from movies

there are hundreds, if not thousands of different strains that chemically (there's actual science to this) do different things to your brain, some of which aren't psychoactive at all

i don't mean to make you the scapegoat for this, it's just that people have a LOT to learn about cannabis in general.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Meh. If alcohol is allowed so should weed. When it becomes legal of course. Not like players don’t smoke it now.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
and this is exactly why cannabis is still illegal, completely wrong misconceptions based off jokes from movies

there are hundreds, if not thousands of different strains that chemically (there's actual science to this) do different things to your brain, some of which aren't psychoactive at all

i don't mean to make you the scapegoat for this, it's just that people have a LOT to learn about cannabis in general.

Scary thing is what they are being laced with to promote addiction.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I’m currious what the NHLs policy is going to be on players using cannibius when it’s legal in Canada come July? It will still be illegal in the United States (although some states it is legal it is still illegal federally) there have been many NFL players suspended for marijuana usage...
It will be completely legal in 7 of the NHLs cities so what happens if a player from Buffalo after a road trip to Canada positive for Marijuana?

Maybe they will forget about playing exhibition games in Europe and instead play one in Jamaica?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Right the NHL bans some legal prescription meds...but marijuana is going to be legal recreationaly..you will be able to smoke a bong on your front porch with a police cruiser sitting out front...but it will still be illegal in the vast amount of the NHLs cities...I’m sure their policy is ignoring it but let’s say a star player tests positive in the U.S after a road trip to Canada? A team from Canada wins the cup in Canada... NHL has no issue with players drinking champagne and beer on live TV...legally in Canada there will be no difference with a player smoking a bong in the dressing room after a win...

Except for the fact that it's illegal to smoke anything in any of the NHL's facilities regardless of what it is. Aside from that the NHL will likely turn a blind eye to it outside of their facilities and take a standard stance against it just for PR reasons.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The only player I know does blow every weekend and smokes weed in the offseason so I don't think the NHL is testing too hard

Reactions: Eberzal

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Except for the fact that it's illegal to smoke anything in any of the NHL's facilities regardless of what it is. Aside from that the NHL will likely turn a blind eye to it outside of their facilities and take a standard stance against it just for PR reasons.
I have seen players on tv smoking cigars in dressing rooms after winning the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad