NHL Points-per-game peak age estimation

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
So this proves that by their late 20"s when players are considerend in their "prime" they have started to pay less focus on offense and started to play defense.

Is this not the argument epitiomed by Yzerman? Sacrificing pure offensive talent to play a more complete 2-way game? And therefore enter the Prime(most effective part) of their carreer.

Not quite. The stats indicate offensive performance declines in the mid-late twenties. They don't measure defensive ability at all.

You'd have to create another study assessing defensive performance by age, and then compare the trends in the defensive and offensive performance studies to see if declining offense in the mid-late twenties correlates to improved defensive play. From there, you'd have to prove the the causal mechanism (players focus on defensive responsibilities as they age, and offence subsequently suffers).

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
How many of these studies look into games played? The assumption (maybe not true) is that the older you are, the more susceptible to injury you are. I'm guessing the tendency is that production goes down often as a result of injury from playing the game. So, is the player out of his scoring prime? Or is he just not on the ice as much? If he's more injured, would you consider him in his prime anymore? GM's often have to pay for potential to UFA's regardless of how fragile a player can be, or, is.

[Hope this made sense]

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How many of these studies look into games played? The assumption (maybe not true) is that the older you are, the more susceptible to injury you are. I'm guessing the tendency is that production goes down often as a result of injury from playing the game. So, is the player out of his scoring prime? Or is he just not on the ice as much? If he's more injured, would you consider him in his prime anymore? GM's often have to pay for potential to UFA's regardless of how fragile a player can be, or, is.

[Hope this made sense]

it made sense... but the argument to why gms played doesn't matter is your looking at pure production.
If older players are hurt more and it's reflected in their production, that doesn't really change the results of the graphs: players are more productive overall at certain ages.... whether thats due to gms played or not.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I had a look at the average ages of the NHL's top 5 goal scorers and assist leaders since the last lockout. The average age of the goal scorers was 25.3 yrs but for the assist leaders it was 27.5 yrs. This seems to suggest that goal scorers peak earlier than play makers.

I also suspect that the goal scorers see a steeper decline in production with age than the play makers do. If anyone has any stats charting goals vs assists vs age I think they would be neat to see.

SexyJoffreyLupul

Mar 18, 2012
If someone does a +/- rating or Corsi graph by age it could shed some light into defensive abilities correlated with age. It would be interesting to say the least

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If someone does a +/- rating or Corsi graph by age it could shed some light into defensive abilities correlated with age. It would be interesting to say the least

Corsi graph by age would be cool.

Found one.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/20/5528472/nhl-stats-corsi-vs-age

Aging_-_F_Corsi_medium.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad