NHL Playoffs (non-Stars series talk)

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The most compelling series from a neutral perspective to me is Lightning/Panthers. There have been some wild barnburners of games between those two over the last few playoffs. The clash of styles between Tampa's "We're above it all and expect to win" and Florida's shameless greasiness is pretty good too.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I know it's a debate all round about the old playoff format vs this one.

From an overall fan perspective what would be the consensus better matchups this year for current format vs old (1v8, 2v7 etc)

The old format would have this 1st round (putting division winners as 1,2 then rest by points).

1 Rangers v 8 Caps
2 Panthers v 7 Islanders
3 Hurricanes v 6 Lightning
4 Bruins v 5 Leafs

1 Stars v 8 Vegas
2 Canucks v 7 Kings
3 Jets v 6 Preds
4 Avs v 5 Oilers

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
The divisional format sucks. The 1 v. 8 system wasn’t broken- the current system is. Why they thought they were smarter than the NBA is beyond me but not at all surprising. Then they decided they were smarter than the MLB and NFL too and implemented a system no one else does which is to force interdivisional play in the postseason. The wildcard actually makes sense in those leagues because there are byes.

2 seeds aren’t properly rewarded and 3rd seeds are often forced to punch up. You can be the second best team in the conference and face off against the 3rd best team round one- third best should be facing the 6 seed- instead they’re facing somewhere between 3-4 usually. Some matchups are more or less set weeks in advance; not a problem 100% alleviated by the 1 v. 8 system, but certainly not as bad.

They tried to force divisional rivalries but now were just getting the same matchups because of the divisional format. By their nature, rivalries would mean more the further along in playoffs they take place as the stakes are higher.

None of this is news and has all been said before but whatever. I actually got mad typing this up thinking about all the ways the NHL is stupid.

Reactions: piqued and Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Looking at the lineup of some of the Eastern playoff teams and the Leafs defense just looks wierd ? Sorry why are they playing Lyubushkin on their first pairing ? What the f*** ?

Last edited:
Reactions: LT

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What really confused me is that TJ Brodie may start the playoffs as a healthy scratch ? I know he supposedly ( don't watch much Leafs ) hasn't been very good this year but really has he been that bad ? He's still the 2nd highest in minutes per game on the team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With how suspect Leafs goaltending and defense looks i could see them getting blown out in high scoring games like 4-8 multiple times especially because they're also a bottom 10 PK team. Would still be blamed on their highly paid forwards by the way not scoring enough though

serp

Jan 17, 2016
MacKinnon , Rantanen and Makar have to basically win that series by themselves. Pretty much the same situation as it was last year when Avs lost to Seattle in the first round. Only this time they're facing a better opponent. Unless Bones goes into his stupid mode where he wants his team to defend a 1 goal lead for 50 minutes .

Reactions: Elysian

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jets should handle that series fairly well.

Avs losing out on home-ice will be the killer for them.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Towes and Girard also question marks for game one. Colorado is gonna have to get god-tier goaltending and very timely scoring to win that series.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
May need to bring in Roy for that . Have him coach the Isles at the same time he plays goal for the Avs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What do you know the terrible Leafs PK came into play.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Can't say I wanted us to play Nashville. They've been incredibly hot, have a starting 6 that can match anyone's, and play a very physical style.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
And then Nashville implodes, damn.

Btw AJ Mleczko f***in sucks, she keeps calling the Nucks player Dakota Johnson instead of Dakota Joshua. Dakota Johnson, lead actress in 50 Shades of Grey. The sexist jokes write themselves...

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Avs almost managed to outscore their bad goaltending but that was only 1 game. Scoring 6 against the Jets and still losing doesn't bode well for the Avs

Reactions: Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad