The Athletic NHL Player Tiers 2023-24: Connor McDavid still the king, young players rising

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

1695039999329.png

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Ranking is fun to pass the time but at the end of the process it's doesn't really work. The only way to really objectively order players from top to bottom is with more analytics and stats.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Didn't read the model but I am guessing Sabres D/G hurt Thompsons ranking. That or if model includes multiple years.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I never get these "Tiers". Mike Sando tries to do the same thing with NFL QB's. It's mostly subjective and I guess it's fun to debate but then Sando and other writers try to pretend it's definitive.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Abraham de Lacy

Thanks. Fox feels out of place. I don't think he's on that level. Easily the least desirable player in that list.
He plays for New York Rangers and has won a Norris. You need to sell your product to the largest markets. That's probably how these rankings work. I like Adam Fox, but rankings like these are manufactured and massaged products.

[edit:] SpElLiNg

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
My only curiosity is about how many from each team appear. If there are 30 teams and 125 players then there could be four from each team however some will have more and some will have less. Buffalo has six players along with Florida, New Jersey and Los Angeles. Carolina and Edmonton have the most at seven. Does it mean anything? Probably not but it is nice for Buffalo to be in the top six of the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: elchud

rogking65

May 13, 2016
My only curiosity as about how many from each team appear. If there are 30 teams and 125 players then there could be four from each team however some will have more and some will have less. Buffalo has six players along with Florida, New Jersey and Los Angeles. Carolina and Edmonton have the most at seven. Does it mean anything? Probably not but it is nice for Buffalo to be in the top six of the league.
this is league wide ranking...obviously all teams do not have the same level of talent

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It's interesting how much love Cozens gets from around the league. The blurb says he didn't make the initial list but there was a strong push from the scouts/analysts to get him on, and even higher than he ended up.

My guess is their model was skeptical of his possession metrics compared to his production. Which indicates he's a good player, but probably not a top one yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad