NHL Play-off Surprises

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
One aspect that always makes the play-offs extra entertaining, and play-off pools frustrating, is that there are always unexpected heroes who emerge for a brief period. All too rarely have “those†types of players been HFNHL Red Wings.

While I still think Aaron ‘freakin’ Asham headlines the list (leads a struggling Pittsburgh offense in goals and points), arguably the next two are HFNHL Red Wing rookies.

First is Marc “what the heck took you so long†Gragnani. Now 24 years of age and having spent almost the entire year down in the AHL (again) he got a late season injury call up and had 3 points in 9 games. Now in the play-offs he’s flying around (admittedly out of position at times) but is tied for 3rd overall in play-off points and leads the Sabres with 7 so far. He’s also been successful in agitating the opposition who started targeting him the last two games.

The second is Ben “clutch†Smith. An NCAA grad who is generally an all-round supporting cast type guy he did come with a reputation as a go to the net type player. In his brief injury call-ups during the regular season he had a single goal in 6 appearances. In the play-offs he now has 3 goals, one was game tying, and of course yesterday’s was an OT winner that drove a dagger through the hearts of Canucks fans. It’s more likely the sim version of Ben Smith will be receiving death threats than trade offers from our resident die hard Canucks fan (Robb).

It’s early in the play-offs with many more surprises and heroes yet to emerge.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Haha. At least you and Robb are still talking to me. A couple of my other friends who are #whalesblood fans aren't returning my calls or messages.

ThrashersGM

Dec 14, 2006
I've become convinced that Bettman has ordered the refs to make sure Canadian teams don't make it far to ensure the growth of the game in U.S. markets. That is the only explanation for how poorly game 5 and 6 were called. If the Canucks don't win tonight I will have no choice but to start looking for another team to cheer for. It is getting really hard to stay up late on a regular basis to watch them now that I moved to Toronto.

Obviously, I can't cheer for the Leafs, that would be sacrilege. Maybe Buffalo or Minnesota....

Go Canucks! Go Buffalo!

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Someone has been smoking the same crack as Mike Gillis....

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory but come on, it's been a pretty poorly called series since game 3.

How does the hit on Bieksa last game not get a penalty called? I'm not calling for a suspension but at least a penalty for the hit to the head.

How about the huge 2 handed slash by Bolland that broke Henriks stick right in front of the ref? That's a slashing penalty every single time any other game.

I don't know how I'm expected to get any work done today at all...

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Someone has been smoking the same crack as Mike Gillis....

I can't speak to Gillis' numbers - maybe his team needs to be more disciplined when they're desperate - but I know I saw one flagrant high-stick on Daniel Sedin that was not called... I think it was game 5. It wasn't quite Wayne Gretzky on Doug Gilmour from game 6 (the Kerry Fraser incident), but I'm sure it upset Nucks fans.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Haha. Awesome.

I do agree about those calls, and that the series hasn't been that well called- however I also think that Gillis' stats are BS (probably just to influence the reffing tonight.) It's been clear to me that the Canucks forwards got lazy and their D out-worked and for the most part they deserved the penalties they did get.

And I also don't know that the Canucks would have had any chance of winning Game 5 even if the penalties were even (and since when is this a mandate of the NHL like Gillis is suggesting)...

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I don't buy into the conspiracy theory but come on, it's been a pretty poorly called series since game 3.

How does the hit on Bieksa last game not get a penalty called? I'm not calling for a suspension but at least a penalty for the hit to the head.

How about the huge 2 handed slash by Bolland that broke Henriks stick right in front of the ref? That's a slashing penalty every single time any other game.

Not defending the bad reffing but your recollection of incidents is a bit one sided. The knife cuts both ways. Torres no suspension for the Seabrook incident, Hamhuis using his hands to help push Bollands heads into the boards after he just came back from a concussion ... and Bolland gets a unsportsmanlike for expressing his anger at the dirty hit. All I'm saying is Vancouver's gotten away with a lot.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Not defending the bad reffing but your recollection of incidents is a bit one sided. The knife cuts both ways. Torres no suspension for the Seabrook incident, Hamhuis using his hands to help push Bollands heads into the boards after he just came back from a concussion ... and Bolland gets a unsportsmanlike for expressing his anger at the dirty hit. All I'm saying is Vancouver's gotten away with a lot.

My recollection is most definitely one sided, I won't deny that.

I wasn't calling for a suspension for the hit on Bieksa and I didn't really think Torres should've been suspended either. Torres got a penalty as he should've but I also thought Brouwer (or was it Bickell?) easily deserved one.

Hamhuis' hit was questionable and could've easily had a penalty called on it but Bolland going snap show like he did isn't OK to do either. Hamhuis is hardly a known dirty player (suffering multiple concussions himself this year) but that certainly doesn't give him a free pass to smear someones face into the glass.

A bad trend from the last couple games for the Canucks is their flops. I haven't been impressed with the attempts to draw penalties at all. Burrows got decked by Scott last game but he went down way too easy. Sedin takes a bit of a cross check after the whistle and drops like he's dead. Weak plays.

Both sides have gotten away with a lot but I think the Hawks (mostly Bolland on the Sedins) have gotten away with more.

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
How about those Lightning? That was an amazing series. And my boy Steve Downie... 7 points in 6 games...

So many good series in this round, it'll be interesting to see if Round 2 can hold a candle. Nice to see the Lightning pull it out, (and great to see current Blue Jacket Dominic Moore and recent Jacket Roloson playing so well!), but Bylsma deserves major kudos for accomplishing what he did with the team despite losing Crosby and Malkin for most of the season.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
So many good series in this round, it'll be interesting to see if Round 2 can hold a candle. Nice to see the Lightning pull it out, (and great to see current Blue Jacket Dominic Moore and recent Jacket Roloson playing so well!), but Bylsma deserves major kudos for accomplishing what he did with the team despite losing Crosby and Malkin for most of the season.

Perhaps that just goes to show how overrated Sid and Geno are. Hell, lump Jordan Staal in there, he missed half the season, too. ;-)

Just kidding. Seriously though, the Pens got a lot of mileage out of their top four of Letang, Orpik, Martin, and Michalek. That, in my mind, was the big difference for them this year over their Gonchar-led defenses of the past.

The first round this year was awesome, and has led to a second round that I find just about impossible to call. My picks for the Conference Finals: Detroit-Nashville, Tampa-Philly.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Marcus Johansson. 6 Gp 2 G 5 Pts. Logging big minutes 20+ per game. This kids going to be good. Solid at both ends of the ice

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Brad Marchand has been great for Boston. 8 points in 8 games to be second on the team in scoring at this point, and providing endless energy to the lineup.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Briere is expected, so no surprise there. Fisher always raises his ge in the postseason, and Burrows is clutch too. Guess the biggest surprise is how important Dom Moore has been to Tampa's success so far, with some timely scoring, critical face-off wins and smothering defense.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
James Van Reimsdyk has been a beast in the playoffs scoring 7 goals and a plus one. Then Chris Kelly is once again a proven playoff scorer (if only he could do it in the regular season) with 7 points in the game

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
James Van Reimsdyk has been a beast in the playoffs scoring 7 goals and a plus one. Then Chris Kelly is once again a proven playoff scorer (if only he could do it in the regular season) with 7 points in the game

The difference for JVR this postseason, as it always is for so many players, is confidence and a willingness to play in the dirty areas. We'll see if he uses it as a stepping stone for next season...

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
He really picked it up at the end of the year and was playing up on the top line for some time i know im certainly hoping his progress this year will carry over and he can start to really realize his potential

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
this thread was made for Sean Bergenheim

season totals - 80 gp, 14 goals, 15 assists, 29 points
playoff totals - 11 gp, 7 goals, 1 assist, 8 points

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
this thread was made for Sean Bergenheim

season totals - 80 gp, 14 goals, 15 assists, 29 points
playoff totals - 11 gp, 7 goals, 1 assist, 8 points

He has also continued his excellent penalty killing from the regular season (85,78%). In 11 games he has killed 27½ minutes of penalties without letting in a single PP goal. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad