Olympics: NHL participation 2026

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
How likely do you think are we to see NHL participation in the 2026 Olympics?

From what I have read, there were talks planned for this summer between IIHF president Tardif and the NHL brass.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I hope they don't go and just work on getting a proper world cup off the ground, I'm done with the olympics myself, the thrill is gone so to speak. Having the pinnacle of International hockey games being played in China one year and then God knows where else the next just doesn't make sense any longer to me.

Time to move on and I'm glad it looks like they are, depending on what they do next getting out of the olympics is the best move IMO.

A more visionary and fresh new tradition needs to be started for best on best senior hockey.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I hope they don't go and just work on getting a proper world cup off the ground, I'm done with the olympics myself, the thrill is gone so to speak. Having the pinnacle of International hockey games being played in China one year and then God knows where else the next just doesn't make sense any longer to me.

Time to move on and I'm glad it looks like they are, depending on what they do next getting out of the olympics is the best move IMO.

A more visionary and fresh new tradition needs to be started for best on best senior hockey.

2030 is most likely a NA Olympics. That means they will want to participate in '26 as well. Do a World Cup in February shut down the NHL for 3 weeks and do it in Prague. Team Canada always loves Prague. And yes, Russians are still banned from World Cup and Olympics.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
2026 seems likely given that the NHL and NHLPA talked about going in 2022 and 2026 barring large disruptions, and the CBA expires after the 2026 season as well and the NHL will want to make Olympic participation a bargaining chip. I do not think that there is a long term future for the NHL in the Olympics.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
While I definitely didn't enjoy the 3am game times and such.. I still want Olypics to be best on best in February as players are in form and eveyrone is available.

FTR.. I have zero faith the NHL will get a proper World Cup or proper Olympic tradition going anytime soon. More likely to expand to Omaha before they do that.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
While I definitely didn't enjoy the 3am game times and such.. I still want Olypics to be best on best in February as players are in form and eveyrone is available.

FTR.. I have zero faith the NHL will get a proper World Cup or proper Olympic tradition going anytime soon. More likely to expand to Omaha before they do that.
Bring back the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, it would make much more sense to organize it in Canada every time.
I never said a thing about it being organized in Canada everytime, I said I want to see a new world cup with vision...............that's what I said.

You made an assumption and it was a wrong one.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I never said a thing about it being organized in Canada everytime, I said I want to see a new world cup with vision...............that's what I said.

You made an assumption and it was a wrong one.
It clearly criticized the variance of hosting locations. In contrast, the NHL's vision of an international tournament has been organized in Canada every time.

Reactions: Jussi

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

To me having these events in places all the way around the globe in non hockey markets makes no sense and robs the actual hockey markets, this olympics are so prestigious and has cache jazz............tired of it, I don't care about that bullshit anymore.

I do however share your skepticism with the NHL organizing a good world cup though, they need new thinking in that matter and real commitment but it's anyone guess if they can do this.

but for me...................I'm done with the olys, waste of time IMO.

It clearly criticized the variance of hosting locations. In contrast, the NHL's vision of an international tournament has been organized in Canada every time.
The Chinas of the world, yes it did, of course........China isn't Europe.

I'm all in for Europe hosting.

and as far as Canada organizing it each time, just because it has in the past doesn't mean it has to be in the future, and truth be told all the olympics were essentially organized in N.A also............they called all the shots basically right down to if the players are going to go or not and what refs were going to be used.

One more thing, Europe hosts and organizes the WHC each and every year, European fans never seem to have a gripe with that.

I can do without the smug hypocrisy from some of you guys.

Remember, European arrogance isn't any prettier then the N.A version, we are never going to make any real progress on this matter if you come to the table with that bad attitude, be nice.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
To me having these events in places all the way around the globe in non hockey markets makes no sense and robs the actual hockey markets, this olympics are so prestigious and has cache jazz............tired of it, I don't care about that bullshit anymore.

I do however share your skepticism with the NHL organizing a good world cup though, they need new thinking in that matter and real commitment but it's anyone guess if they can do this.

but for me...................I'm done with the olys, waste of time IMO.

and as far as Canada organizing it each time, just because it has in the past doesn't mean it has to be in the future, and truth be told all the olympics were essentially organized in N.A also............they called all the shots basically right down to if the players are going to go or not and what refs were going to be used.

One more thing, Europe hosts and organizes the WHC each and every year, European fans never seem to have a gripe with that.

I can do without the smug hypocrisy from some of you guys. If you come in good faith and really want to discuss what a ideal senior best on best tournament would look like in the future I am all ears.......but to do that you will have to leave the above attitude out when discussing these things.

Remember, arrogance of European fans isn't any prettier or more constructive then North American.

With that mindset leading the way we are never going to get anywhere, be nice.
2030 is most likely a NA Olympics. That means they will want to participate in '26 as well. Do a World Cup in February shut down the NHL for 3 weeks and do it in Prague. Team Canada always loves Prague. And yes, Russians are still banned from World Cup and Olympics.
Then what? Back to having an oly in melbourne or something?

I don't really see the point in making the olympics the main showcase for the best international hockey anymore, wheres the beef in that? they had a go of it and it didn't work, now it's twice they haven;t even gone and who is paying the price......real fans.

the biggest sport in the world doesn't even use the olympics as a showcase, the olympics are overrated and will likely never make a dent in having hockey become a huge international sport, we need to get back to having showcases like this in venues that are hockey markets.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

The Olympics is an event meant for the entire world. Hence it makes sense that some games take place also in Asia while the next edition will take place in Europe and the one after that very likely in North America.

I can do without the smug hypocrisy from some of you guys.

Remember, European arrogance isn't any prettier then the N.A version, we are never going to make any real progress on this matter if you come to the table with that bad attitude, be nice.
I don't know what to tell you. Every federation is allowed to apply for the games and this includes Canada. Indeed, the one time Canada actually applied to host the tournament, they were awarded it. However, the IIHF can't force Canada to host a tournament that they don't have an interest in hosting so it is silly to victimize yourself.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The Olympics is an event meant for the entire world. Hence it makes sense that some games take place also in Asia while the next edition will take place in Europe and the one after that very likely in North America.

I don't know what to tell you. Every federation is allowed to apply for the games and this includes Canada. Indeed, the one time Canada actually applied to host the tournament, they were awarded it. However, the IIHF can't force Canada to host a tournament that they don't have an interest in hosting so it is silly to victimize yourself.
We've all been through the thing with hosting the WHC before and you know damn well why they rarely apply for it, regardless of if they do or they don't the fact is it is still hosted and run by Europe every year, that's a fact, it's also a fact that European fans don't care if it is held and run every year by them, they have no moral objection to it so why cry about tournaments always run by N.A? the North american teams come over every year and don't complain, they roll with it all and make the best of it, no reason European fans shouldnt do the same with a world cup if they can do it for the WHC, I don't know what else to say...........stop bitching, you have zero reason if we don't concerning the WHC.

Having said that I actually do think we all have a reason to bitch on how the NHL approaches international competitions, even ones they do control, they could do a lot better at that and they need to take a different attitude towards it going forward, and one way of doing that would be having it exclusively in Europe on a regular basis. But I wish european fans would stop being dishonest about the WHC, it's their party and always has been, that's not going to change likely ever. Please don't cry "so hard done by' You're not. you're actually a little bit spoiled when it comes to international competitions, you know you have a senior level high quality tournament each and every year to look forward to.

It's also considered a 100% legitimate tournament by European fans despite the fact it has only been held outside of Europe once in like 70 years or so, can you imagine any other sports World championship being considered legitimate if it was held only in one place for it's entire history? yet it is...........................so why the moral objection to a few tournaments held and run by N.A?.

sorry, but I'm not falling for that, it's amazing you expect anyone here to buy these tired arguments.

Of course theoretically the WHC is open for bidding to the whole world, but there are going to be reasons why it never is for almost every country in the world outside of Europe, for Canada there is the NHL playoffs and no real fan history on a big scale with the tournament and for the rest of the world it's because they don't give 2 shits about hockey.

I know European fans are A. O.K with that, they aren't losing any sleep over it, they love it and who can blame them? they've got a built in monopoly on that tournament, not bad!!

As for the olympics being for the whole world, well sure...........but hockey doesn't seem to be for the whole world, it's only popular in a handful of countries, cater to them not the rest of the world that doesn't care. It only makes sense since they are your only market basically.

I hope the NHL is done with the olympics for good and would move on with real partnership with the IIHF in getting a great World cup going, it's for the best.

Last edited:

member 305909

Oh gosh! I knew we were going to hear a lot about this issue but it has started already!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
We've all been through the thing with hosting the WHC before and you know damn well why they rarely apply for it, regardless of if they do or they don't the fact is it is still hosted and run by Europe every year, that's a fact, it's also a fact that European fans don't care if it is held and run every year by them, they have no moral objection to it so why cry about tournaments always run by N.A? the North american teams come over every year and don't complain, they roll with it all and make the best of it, no reason European fans shouldnt do the same with a world cup if they can do it for the WHC, I don't know what else to say...........stop bitching, you have zero reason if we don't concerning the WHC.

Having said that I actually do think we all have a reason to bitch on how the NHL approaches international competitions, even ones they do control, they could do a lot better at that and they need to take a different attitude towards it going forward, and one way of doing that would be having it exclusively in Europe on a regular basis. But I wish european fans would stop being dishonest about the WHC, it's their party and always has been, that's not going to change likely ever. Please don't cry "so hard done by' You're not. you're actually a little bit spoiled when it comes to international competitions, you know you have a senior level high quality tournament each and every year to look forward to.

It's also considered a 100% legitimate tournament by European fans despite the fact it has only been held outside of Europe once in like 70 years or so, can you imagine any other sports World championship being considered legitimate if it was held only in one place for it's entire history? yet it is...........................so why the moral objection to a few tournaments held and run by N.A?.

sorry, but I'm not falling for that, it's amazing you expect anyone here to buy these tired arguments.

Of course theoretically the WHC is open for bidding to the whole world, but there are going to be reasons why it never is for almost every country in the world outside of Europe, for Canada there is the NHL playoffs and no real fan history on a big scale with the tournament and for the rest of the world it's because they don't give 2 shits about hockey.

I know European fans are A. O.K with that, they aren't losing any sleep over it, they love it and who can blame them? they've got a built in monopoly on that tournament, not bad!!

As for the olympics being for the whole world, well sure...........but hockey doesn't seem to be for the whole world, it's only popular in a handful of countries, cater to them not the rest of the world that doesn't care. It only makes sense since they are your only market basically.

I hope the NHL is done with the olympics for good and would move on with real partnership with the IIHF in getting a great World cup going, it's for the best.

Do you seriously think that no one would complain if the world championships were held in the same country every year? Finland will get their second in a row next year only because of exceptional circumstances and we can already hear people not happy about it.

On the other hand, people seemed quite happy to have new hosts. I remember positive reactions in 2018, 2011, 2008, 2006....

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Imo, they will be there. It will be maybe the first opportunity to see a full stacked Russian team on International level after some years.
Players want to go. I think, NHL assured them, Olympic games will be with NHL players. This last one was hit by COVID, but now the players will see a satisfaction.

World Cup is a different tournament.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Do you seriously think that no one would complain if the world championships were held in the same country every year? Finland will get their second in a row next year only because of exceptional circumstances and we can already hear people not happy about it.

On the other hand, people seemed quite happy to have new hosts. I remember positive reactions in 2018, 2011, 2008, 2006....
They don't have a problem with it in the same continent every year, which is almost like a home tournament for every european team given the size of Europe, have you ever seen the games involving the U.S or Canada and the European teams at that thing? the crowd is always filled with a majority of the european teams fans against them no matter where in europe the tournament is held. Can you imagine the world championship of rugby for instance held strictly in europe every freaking time?

That's what we have in hockey every year, and European fans are complaining that the world cup of hockey is being split between Canada and the U.S not even every 4 years?

and speaking of circumstances being the reason it is being held in Finland for a second straight year,it is circumstances that is the reason the WHC is held in Europe every year, we all know what those circumstances are, there is also a reason why so far the NHL run world cup has been held in NA every time, and we know what they are.

Why should Europe every year, Finland this year or North America every 4 have any kind of monopoly or extra benefit? They shouldn't But there are circumstances in each case why this is so, we don't live in a perfect world.

The fact fans in Europe are complaining about it being held in Finland twice in a row is quite amusing to me, it's o.k when it's in Europe every year, but not in a particular country in Europe........................a country that is one of the big dogs and they don't want to give any extra advantage to. But having the U.S and Canada at a disadvantage every year for decades?............hey, we won't lose any sleep over that.

But I'm not surprised they are quick to suddenly complain now, that's expected, it's only when things aren't exactly as they like that you will see them complain.

Which to me is the problem of so many hockey fans, they insist on having it all their way far too much for my liking and it always seems to run on what is most beneficial to them at all times under every circumstance.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
They don't have a problem with it in the same continent every year, which is almost like a home tournament for every european team given the size of Europe, have you ever seen the games involving the U.S or Canada and the European teams at that thing? the crowd is always filled with a majority of the european teams fans against them no matter where in europe the tournament is held. Can you imagine the world championship of rugby for instance held strictly in europe every freaking time?

That's what we have in hockey every year, and European fans are complaining that the world cup of hockey is being split between Canada and the U.S not even every 4 years?

and speaking of circumstances being the reason it is being held in Finland for a second straight year,it is circumstances that is the reason the WHC is held in Europe every year, we all know what those circumstances are, there is also a reason why so far the NHL run world cup has been held in NA every time, and we know what they are.

Why should Europe every year, Finland this year or North America every 4 have any kind of monopoly or extra benefit? They shouldn't But there are circumstances in each case why this is so, we don't live in a perfect world.

The fact fans in Europe are complaining about it being held in Finland twice in a row is quite amusing to me, it's o.k when it's in Europe every year, but not in a particular country in Europe........................a country that is one of the big dogs and they don't want to give any extra advantage to. But having the U.S and Canada at a disadvantage every year for decades?............hey, we won't lose any sleep over that.

But I'm not surprised they are quick to suddenly complain now, that's expected, it's only when things aren't exactly as they like that you will see them complain.

Which to me is the problem of so many hockey fans, they insist on having it all their way far too much for my liking and it always seems to run on what is most beneficial to them at all times under every circumstance.
"Europe" doesn't mean anything as far as the IIHF is concerned, there are national federations applying to host tournaments (around 30 of them every year, many not in Europe), whether they are geographically close to each other or not doesn't play a part in the hosting application process.

15 (or 14 when there are co-hosts) teams don't play at home. Some countries have a tradition of traveling fans, some not so much, it's not only Canada or the US that are consistently outnumbered in the stands. I went to the tournament back in 2008 and the usual teams had a large amount of traveling fans too, so it seems that it's a matter of tradition rather than proximity, at least for European fans. Not sure if there were more American fans than usual (I didn't go to Halifax), so I won't comment on the issue regarding them.

You seem to think that the tournament is exactly the same whether it's hosted in Finland, Germany or Denmark, but to many fans there's a huge difference. This is why attendances tend to be higher in places like Prague than in Northern Europe.

And I don't think you'd hear many complain if the WC main tournament was held in Canada or the US. Of course it may price out some fans, but this is already something you can observe within Europe as I already pointed out. So why didn't they host it in Quebec City and Halifax again? Surely it can't be more difficult now than in 2008. Or why not in two of the many American arenas not used by NHL teams? There are no impossible logistical challenges preventing it from happening.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's also considered a 100% legitimate tournament by European fans despite the fact it has only been held outside of Europe once in like 70 years or so, can you imagine any other sports World championship being considered legitimate if it was held only in one place for it's entire history?

The IIHF World Championships have already been held in 20 different countries, the FIFA World Cup in soccer will reach that number in 2026. The Olympics are at 23 (Summer 19, Winter 13). Volleyball 12, Basketball 16, Handball 16.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
"Europe" doesn't mean anything as far as the IIHF is concerned, there are national federations applying to host tournaments (around 30 of them every year, many not in Europe), whether they are geographically close to each other or not doesn't play a part in the hosting application process.

15 (or 14 when there are co-hosts) teams don't play at home. Some countries have a tradition of traveling fans, some not so much, it's not only Canada or the US that are consistently outnumbered in the stands. I went to the tournament back in 2008 and the usual teams had a large amount of traveling fans too, so it seems that it's a matter of tradition rather than proximity, at least for European fans. Not sure if there were more American fans than usual (I didn't go to Halifax), so I won't comment on the issue regarding them.

You seem to think that the tournament is exactly the same whether it's hosted in Finland, Germany or Denmark, but to many fans there's a huge difference. This is why attendances tend to be higher in places like Prague than in Northern Europe.

And I don't think you'd hear many complain if the WC main tournament was held in Canada or the US. Of course it may price out some fans, but this is already something you can observe within Europe as I already pointed out. So why didn't they host it in Quebec City and Halifax again? Surely it can't be more difficult now than in 2008. Or why not in two of the many American arenas not used by NHL teams? There are no impossible logistical challenges preventing it from happening.
the European teams whose fans are outnumbered in the stands are the teams such as france and Italy where hockey is but an afterthought......................never the countries where hockey is popular like Switzerland or Finland or sweden, they always have a strong contingent of fans no matter where it's played you know that. Any game they have played in Europe will be a home game when playing Canada or the U.S.

Yes, the tournament is essentially the same, every year in Europe, every year the same realities when it comes to expected fan participation, there is some slight variance but it is what it is..............an annual European hockey party, always has been always will be most likely.

and i'm fine with that, because of circumstances that is just the way it has developed, no reason for me to get worked up about it, i enjoy it for what it is, I think fans should do the same for the Canada/World cups if it stays a N.A tournament.

I'd like the World Cup and WHC to be more global in their reach and who they cater to but if it isn't I see no sense in moaning about where they are held all the time.

I could hardly enjoy the games if I did that. As long as these tournaments are held in places where hockey is popular or at the very least has a decent following then I am pretty happy, but holding them in places like china where hardly a soul knows what a puck is and fans from hockey hotbeds like us have to watch at ungodly hours just so we can say our best teams are playing in the sainted olympics.....................I'm finished with that, waste of time.

This olympic fascination is nothing but an annoyance to me now, we don't need it, no matter how many people insist we do. I would far rather a proper World cup.

Now, whether we will actually see a proper world cup is another story.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The IIHF World Championships have already been held in 20 different countries, the FIFA World Cup in soccer will reach that number in 2026. The Olympics are at 23 (Summer 19, Winter 13). Volleyball 12, Basketball 16, Handball 16.
20 different countries and all of them in europe aside from one time. and as for the other 50 or so that have taken place? yep, that's right.............all in europe.

That's not balance at all, especially since 2 of the best 6 hockey countries in the world are N.A teams.

Hey, as I've said, I'm o.k with that, it is what it is, I just don't see the reason for howling about the World cup being held in N.A every time if these same fans don't have an issue with the WHC being held in Europe all the time.

It's not much to ask for fans to be even in their attitudes across the board, yet it always seems to be.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad