NHL offer an impasse tactic- TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulkrogan

Feb 15, 2004
Tsn.ca

There was speculation Tuesday that the NHL Players' Association's offer to play under a salary cap - at a $52-million US level still not palatable to the league - could be a legal manoeuvre to help prove later on that the two sides did not really reach a bargaining impasse.

I don't buy it. They know the enemy of the union is lost time now. An impasse isn't on the minds of either side right now, a deal is.

You wouldn't hear about all of these players getting involved, it would have just been a Saskin/Badenow event.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
hulkrogan said:
Tsn.ca

There was speculation Tuesday that the NHL Players' Association's offer to play under a salary cap - at a $52-million US level still not palatable to the league - could be a legal manoeuvre to help prove later on that the two sides did not really reach a bargaining impasse.

I don't buy it. They know the enemy of the union is lost time now. An impasse isn't on the minds of either side right now, a deal is.

You wouldn't hear about all of these players getting involved, it would have just been a Saskin/Badenow event.

You can still have just as much of an impasse if they don't agree on the figures for the cap/tax, so ... no.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I have little doubt that it was made with an impasse in mind.

If that's the route Bettman was planning to take, the offer of the cap by the union means he's going to re-evalutate the situation and think long and hard about what he would have to gain.

There's a lot of pressure on Bettman right now. Not so much on Goodenow.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
kingsjohn said:
God I hope not

I do too, but lets think about this: Its Bob Goodenow. Of COURSE thats what it is. Stinkin' PA brass are just trying to keep the league from declaring impasse, which they themselves know they will AND will be able to implement it w/o the NLRB going stopping it. Why else would you drop your major stopping point the DAY BEFORE a deadline?

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I disagree with that article.

The time for playin chicken is over.

So the players offer a phoney 52 mil cap proposal. One they figure will never to be accepted and they just did it for legal reasons. Then all of the sudden the owners take it.

Like is said, the time for chicken has passed.

Wetcoaster

When the NHL came off linkage and then released the gag order that pretty much signalled they has given up on an impasse strategy which from the beginning was not really a viable option given the overlay of international law, differing labour jurisdictions and immigration law constraints on using foreign nationals as replacements in Canada and the US.

What I found hilarious was the assertion that the provincial labour boards will just follow along with the NLRB. Obviously whoever wrote that one has never appeared before a provincial labour board - they do not even like to acknowledge the other provinces who operate under very similar labour codes and to follow a foreign labour board - not likely.

SENSible1*

Would it be possible to get the thread title to reflect the article.

The contention is that the NHLPA's offer was designed to avoid impasse, not the NHL's offer.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Would it be possible to get the thread title to reflect the article.

The contention is that the NHLPA's offer was designed to avoid impasse, not the NHL's offer.

yeah I agree.... the title of the thread is false and misleading.... and it got me depressed when I red it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad