NHL now officially tracking advanced stats

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
From Chris Boyle :

"Everybody understands that there is a difference between Steven Stamkos on a breakaway and a Hal Gill point shot. The primary discussion point centers around the impact it has on large samples and whether it is something that can be influenced by a coaching system."
PART 1 : http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/introducing-the-shot-quality-project/
PART 2 : http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/introducing-the-shot-quality-project-part-ii/

2 on 1 and breakaways could be interesting too.

Yeah...

sqp_3.gif

Clean shot: Most of the goal are scored from the home plate area
Transition: "It isn’t a coincidence that the majority of transition shots occur in the home plate area of the ice."
Deflection: "The scoring chance project defines a scoring chance as any shot registered inside the home plate area."
Rebound Shot: "Rebound shots, like deflections, occur almost exclusively in the home plate area."

Well, seems like Boyle is on to something here.

So what's the best way to prevent on ice scoring chance? Minimizing the number of shot from the home plate area, yes even clean shots, because clean shots are source of Deflection and Rebound shot... It's hockey 101.

I find the per game interesting nonetheless as it hints toward a Hab offense that might not be as putrid as one would think looking at total shots taken.

Anyway, successful ozone pass per 60 minutes (5v5) is not hard to calculate (let's pretend the Stathlete averages are the same at this point of the season) :

1. CHI = 60.9*60/48.28= 75.8
2. BOS = 59.5*60/49.23= 72.5
3. MTL = 55.3*60/47.43= 70.0
4. STL = 53*60/48.04= 66.2
5. SJ = 46.5*60/48.85= 57.1

Well, still not very useful by itself (not to be confused with interesting). Obviously Stathlete is to blame for that. Private data + posting partial data = fail.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Yeah...

sqp_3.gif

Clean shot: Most of the goal are scored from the home plate area
Transition: "It isn’t a coincidence that the majority of transition shots occur in the home plate area of the ice."
Deflection: "The scoring chance project defines a scoring chance as any shot registered inside the home plate area."
Rebound Shot: "Rebound shots, like deflections, occur almost exclusively in the home plate area."

Well, seems like Boyle is on to something here.

So what's the best way to prevent on ice scoring chance? Minimizing the number of shot from the home plate area, yes even clean shots, because clean shots are source of Deflection and Rebound shot... It's hockey 101.

Minimizing the the number shots from the home plate is indeed Hockey 101. In your next courses (Hockey 201 and 301), you'll learn that it is indeed useful to organize your defense strategy and tactics so that you minimize specific kind of shots (ex.: deflection, rebounds, transition shots) that lead to high quality scoring chances.

And I believe, having these stats will help separate good defensive schemes/squads from less effective ones. That was my original point. Feel free to agree or not.

Well, still not very useful by itself (not to be confused with interesting). Obviously Stathlete is to blame for that. Private data + posting partial data = fail.

Fail?

Huhh, it comes from a twitter account. I think the intent was to garner interest not to be "useful". I posted them as example of "enhanced stats" I would like to see in the future.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Minimizing the the number shots from the home plate is indeed Hockey 101. In your next courses (Hockey 201 and 301), you'll learn that it is indeed useful to organize your defense strategy and tactics so that you minimize specific kind of shots (ex.: deflection, rebounds, transition shots) that lead to high quality scoring chances.

And I believe, having these stats will help separate good defensive schemes/squads from less effective ones. That was my original point. Feel free to agree or not.

Nah. Breaking down the stat would make it more interesting for the fans.
For a player on the ice and the coaching staffs there is no need to split hair. Defending against Clean shot, Rebound and cross ice pass IS NOT mutuality exclusive in 5on5 hockey. You don't pick one and run with it, you do all 3.

Fail?

Huhh, it comes from a twitter account. I think the intent was to garner interest not to be "useful". I posted them as example of "enhanced stats" I would like to see in the future.

The fail is on Stathlete not on you, so don't worry about it.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Nah. Breaking down the stat would make it more interesting for the fans.
For a player on the ice and the coaching staffs there is no need to split hair. Defending against Clean shot, Rebound and cross ice pass IS NOT mutuality exclusive in 5on5 hockey. You don't pick one and run with it, you do all 3.

I think there are different defensive systems producing different results depending on the coaching staff ajustments and the one-ice execution. A low zone collapsing defense, for example, might lead to less scoring chances coming from rebounds but potentially more from transition shots. Or, in a situation where the defensive system leads to many deflections, then maybe the d-men are not doing a good job clearing the front of the net and adjustments will be made.

Extract from Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston book Hockey "Plays and Strategies" :

"There are several systems a team could use in their defensive zone. Teams may choose between the 2-3 system, low zone collapse, half ice overload, or man on man coverage. The 2-3 system should be used against teams that have a balanced attack in the offensive zone while the low zone collapse works well against teams who have trouble generating chances from their defense but generate a lot of chances from below the circles. The half ice overload smothers the offensive team on one side of the ice but with teams who are good at changing the point of attack it is not as effective. The man-on-man system is based on pressure and sticking to your check. If one player loses their check then excellent scoring opportunities result."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad