NHL now officially tracking advanced stats

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I don't know if it's been discussed elsewhere, but the website seems to be live:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedstats

Good thing they renamed them. Corsi is now SAT (shot attempts) and Fenwick is USAT (unblocked).

Just for fun, I looked at our Habs:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedstats?season=20142015&gameType=2&team=MTL

Subban is ahead of everybody in basically all situations. :laugh:

For the Habs' they should just have a picture of PK smiling and that is all. No need for all the numbers, we already know :laugh:

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Track all you want to. From the stats, Montreal has the least goal against, it does not mean the have the best defense, it just means we have one hell of a goalie and the worst defensive group in the league.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Ouch, when the game is even, Habs SAT is 22nd in the league. Their SAT against is 23rd in the league.

When they are behind they are 6th. So they clearly have the ability to play a possession game, but only do so when their backs are against the wall.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Ouch, when the game is even, Habs SAT is 22nd in the league. Their SAT against is 23rd in the league.

When they are behind they are 6th. So they clearly have the ability to play a possession game, but only do so when their backs are against the wall.

SAT stats (aka Corsi) on the site for the Habs are exceedingly weird to me because they do not match the numbers I collected nor the numbers collected by independent sites such as war-on-ice (my numbers and theirs matched exactly).

I would like to know where the discrepancy comes from because it's pretty significant whether the Habs are 22nd in the league in Corsi/SAT close (and below 50%), or whether they are 10th (and over 51%)!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Good point, it jumped at me too. I mean, of course we see the game and how it usually unfold, but numbers kinda agree too. There's two Habs teams: one when the score is even or we lead, and a completly different team when we're trailing.

And the Kings are still top of the league for SAT... They are so getting into the playoffs.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Wow Christian Thomas is a Corsi beast (ohh well, SAT).

We can all see the relevance of those stats. /pwnd

Apparently, SAT is a strong indication if our coach is good or bad.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I have a question about SAT Rel.

It says:

shot attempts for player - shot attempts for team when not on the ice

Unless I'm misreading, doesn't this type of stat favor players who play more?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Wow Christian Thomas is a Corsi beast (ohh well, SAT).

We can all see the relevance of those stats. /pwnd

Apparently, SAT is a strong indication if our coach is good or bad.

Corsi is not meaningful for people who barely play.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

It says:

Depends on the team. If I play one shift for Buffalo and get 10 shots against (because I'm bad at hockey), my SAT Rel would be around 1300, first in the league. :laugh:

SAT Rel can lead to strange results. Not sure it's that useful to look at it league wide. Depends on a lot on the team.

But yes, you are right, on a good team, it will help if you play more.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006

It says:

No -- this is basically the team's SAT while the guy is on the ice, minus the team's SAT while the guy is on the bench.

In a very, VERY rough way it shows the impact of a player on his team's SAT, but keep in mind that this is heavily impacted by usage, teammates, matchups, and etc. Use with a lot of caution. But it's a pretty good clue that Subban is really good.

EDIT: Or are they not prorating by icetime? If not then yeah, that's pretty useless.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
DD leads all forwards in secondary assists. Have fun with this guys.;)

Patches leads all forward in primary assists (15).

Subban and Markov lead the team in primary assists with 16 and 15 respectively.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We are 6th in the league for SAT for - SAT against when behind in the score.

We are 10th for SAT for - SAT against when the game is close (1 goal difference).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad