News Article: NHL, NHLPA Salary Cap ($69M confirmed for 2014-15) and changes to the game

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
doesnt matter where he is now 15 goals still was tied for 4th with brown on the kings that and he was a +16 thoses are two things that will get him money imo. lewis makes 1.5 million king will get more then lewis at min 1.75

This isn't fantasy hockey where you can dumb up a false bill of goods. King was invisable outside of 46 days of rolling with Kopitar. Forget stats for a second. When he's not with kopitar he is a fringe nhler who doesn't even hit. Now look at his secondary stats without Kopitar. His possession stats are below average w/o Kopi and that's supposed to be his strong point. Hello turnovers. Run away. Lewis is the superior player. Lewis has skills and abilities that King doesn't. King has soft hands and that is absolutely it. He absolutely requires pinpoint passes to tap them in. King has no speed. He doesn't even use his size. He is out of position when required to fulfill non generic defensive responsibilities. He doesn't have the mindset or the hand eye to screen the goalie.

I'd be stoked if we kept Nolan over him and someone gave him 1.5 m.I will happily take any compensation.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This isn't fantasy hockey where you can dumb up a false bill of goods. King was invisable outside of 46 days of rolling with Kopitar. Forget stats for a second. When he's not with kopitar he is a fringe nhler who doesn't even hit. Now look at his secondary stats without Kopitar. Run away. Lewis is the superior player.

Except production wise Lewis is not, Maybe Defensively or effort wise sure.

Half of Kings career points are away from Kopitar and Almost all at Even strength.

He nearly doubles up Lewis in production at every points producing facet.

They are close in playoff production.

Matter of fact, King is almost out producing Clifford and Lewis combined over his Short career.

Clifford+Lewis over the last two years (this is combined folks)

47 points , 21 goals 240 NHL games. 2 + million cap hit's(combined cap hit).

Dwight King"

124 NHL games, 20 goals 40 points(last two years), Below 800k Capt hit.

King was pretty good in 2011-2012, he had 14 points in 27 games, added another 8 in the playoffs Five goals all ES.

2011-12 King/Nolan played all games in the Bottom six. So he can produce there.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Lewis/Clifford for their cap hits are a problem production wise, lets hope they at least make 30 to 40 points combined next season.

Can you believe it took Lewis/Clifford 241 NHL games to combine for 20 goals and 47 points.....

That is just mind blowing bad.

Last edited:

Ron*

I know exactly NOTHING about the NBA, so I can't comment on that. I do know how NHL works.

In the NHL when a player is RFA it is the exact same as an UFA (if you ignore arbitration for this part of the discussion). You talk to teams and negotiate if both parties are willing. Only difference is that once the player signs a contract with another team the original team has 7 days to either match or take the compensation. There is no obligation for the rights holder to team to approve or even see an offer that teams might make to an RFA until a contract is signed by both parties (player and new club).

Thanks for the info. Sounds very similar, but I didn't know the parties could communicate with each other...interesting to see what offers King will get from other teams.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Except production wise Lewis is not, Maybe Defensively or effort wise sure.

Half of Kings career points are away from Kopitar and Almost all at Even strength.

He nearly doubles up Lewis in production at every points producing facet.

They are close in playoff production.

Matter of fact, King is almost out producing Clifford and Lewis combined over his Short career.

Clifford+Lewis over the last two years (this is combined folks)

47 points , 21 goals 240 NHL games. 2 + million cap hit's(combined cap hit).

Dwight King"

124 NHL games, 20 goals 40 points(last two years), Below 800k Capt hit.

King was pretty good in 2011-2012, he had 14 points in 27 games, added another 8 in the playoffs Five goals all ES.

2011-12 King/Nolan played all games in the Bottom six. So he can produce there.

Lewis is a fourth line player getting most of his time on the PK. Comparing production is not an academic debate because King has spent the majority of his career with the Kings best players. King has no skill out side of soft hands. If he's not cycling or tapping in a setup he's not capable of contributing. That means he has to play with Kopitar where his style fits or he is a waste in my opinion. He doesn't have good ice placement, doesn't lean or hit, can't use his size, is slow and his puck possesion is overrated because when he is not with Kopitar he is a bad corsi (but everyone's corsi plummets w/o much like Williams. I'll give him that). Lewis has skill and attributes that make his a more valuable player than King.

This is just my opinion that is roughly backed by some stats. I'm willing to accept that there is not enough time to trust the stats but if anyone sees him as a valuable bottom six player please sell me on it.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
King's job is to grind it out down low. That is a big part of our team's identity. The guy is huge, do you think the other team's defensemen enjoy trying to take the puck from his giant ass? Last year was his first full season. I don't think there's any chance he's going anywhere.

Nolan, on the other hand, is as good as gone IMO. Too bad, because in 2012 it looked like he was a much better replacement for Clifford, without the scrambled eggs.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
King needs to go to 'hitting' school before he get's $2 mill per season. There were so many times in the playoffs where I was screaming, "Why the **** didn't you hit him King?". The guy is so big, he could hurt people, but he just turns away from a big hit. He needs to learn how to use his big frame.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
So the players didn't include the new TV money that they could have and went against the advice of Fehr. Doesn't seem real bright to me.
http://nypost.com/2014/06/28/incredulous-isles-gm-needs-some-wins-to-back-up-his-attitude/?
The insidious nature — or, on the other side, the genius — of a hard-cap system was on display Thursday night and Friday afternoon when the NHLPA voted against including the new Canadian television contract as revenue for purposes of calculating the 2014-15 cap.

The players, concerned about escrow that might have increased by 3 percent if the cap had gone to the projected $71 million, instead authorized a cap of $69 million that will create a significant squeeze on a significant number of the league’s most successful clubs and will cost players jobs on those teams and eliminate those teams as potential destinations when the market opens on Tuesday.

The cap pits player against player — for what’s good for one always costs the next guy money, always. In this case, it was players without contracts for next season against those with contracts.

Despite the urging of executive director Don Fehr, the membership could not and did not see the value in getting as much money in the system as possible and instead went with the penny-wise, pound-foolish approach. Narrow interests won.

Three lockouts later, the players capped themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad