NHL, NHLPA begin planning 2024 World Cup UPD pushed to Feb 2025

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Still some outstanding issues with IIHF. And the elephant in the room regarding Russian player participation.

Might be delayed.

Some discussion when NHL in Finland next week.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Still some outstanding issues with IIHF. And the elephant in the room regarding Russian player participation.

Might be delayed.

Some discussion when NHL in Finland next week.

Discussions will be only with NHL and NHLPA. IIHF is not there as they have another engagement elsewhere.

Reactions: Rob

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
From Chris Johnson's Monday email newsletter:

The longer we go without an official announcement about a World Cup of Hockey in February 2024, the less likely it is to happen

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri

Editorial

Not sure how it stains Bettman, he job is to grown NHL revenues and appease the BOG. The owners are only interested in a best on best tournament if they can make money from it. Just another example of how good Bettman is at his job, he gets blamed while the BOG stay out of the headlines.

Fehr, yes, because the players want to go to the olympics and he has not made it happen. Appeasing the players is his job

Reactions: Jussi

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
MLB is on there 5th wbc with bigger names joining every tournament… the nhl can’t put a tourney on 8 years

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

IIHF still on hold with Russian (and Belarusian) athletes at events.

(Participants in 2024 summer Olympics, no flag, no anthem.)

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
After covid wrecking the 2022 Olympics this is pathetic that they cant get a world cup sorted. This should have been an easy make things right, could this potentially be viewed as a violation of the cba since olympics were included in the cba?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
After covid wrecking the 2022 Olympics this is pathetic that they cant get a world cup sorted. This should have been an easy make things right, could this potentially be viewed as a violation of the cba since olympics were included in the cba?
My understanding is that the CBA agreement allowed the NHL to withdraw from participating in the Olympics, under certain conditions which were met. So I don’t see how it could be considered a CBA violation.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
MLB is on there 5th wbc with bigger names joining every tournament… the nhl can’t put a tourney on 8 years

I go back and forth as to whether I’m a bigger hockey fan or baseball fan. But as much as I don’t care about NHL players in international tournaments, I care even less about the World Baseball Classic.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why do you think it is a good thing?
I have virtually no interest in NHL players playing international hockey. Their complete attention should be on playing for their NHL team. I found it absolutely disgusting in 2002 when Mario Lemieux ok games off from the Penguins so he would be healthy enough to play in the Olympics.

If NHL players really want to go play in the Olympics, they should take a range their contracts so that they aren’t signed to an NHL team for that season.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I have virtually no interest in NHL players playing international hockey. Their complete attention should be on playing for their NHL team. I found it absolutely disgusting in 2002 when Mario Lemieux ok games off from the Penguins so he would be healthy enough to play in the Olympics.

If NHL players really want to go play in the Olympics, they should take a range their contracts so that they aren’t signed to an NHL team for that season.
Why do you have such a problem with patriotism

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why do you have such a problem with patriotism

I have no problem with patriotism. I just prefer a more focused approach to team sports. For example, I have enjoyed the occasional soccer game, but I have no interest in ever becoming a fan of a team, because of all the international breaks and in-season tournaments.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Well disgusted seems to be a strong reaction. To each their own though.

The overwhelming majority of sports fans (especially outside the US) do prefer international competition though.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Well disgusted seems to be a strong reaction. To each their own though.

The overwhelming majority of sports fans (especially outside the US) do prefer international competition though.
That’s fine. I’m North American and the NHL is a North America league.

I also enjoy watching the management of a pro sports franchise: drafts, trades, free agents, salary cap management, etc.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I go back and forth as to whether I’m a bigger hockey fan or baseball fan. But as much as I don’t care about NHL players in international tournaments, I care even less about the World Baseball Classic.

Baseball is a terrible sport for international play. 1-game rounds are terrible reflections of who the better team is, but you would never have a 5 or even 3 game series during it.

You also have fake teams like Italy & Israel made up entirely of Americans in it, it gives it a very exhibition feel.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Baseball is a terrible sport for international play. 1-game rounds are terrible reflections of who the better team is, but you would never have a 5 or even 3 game series during it.

You also have fake teams like Italy & Israel made up entirely of Americans in it, it gives it a very exhibition feel.
Italy hockey team is made of canadians

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad