NHL needs to get rid of the Instigator Rule & modify pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
You realize the kind of fighting you’re talking about only took place for about 25 of the NHL’s 100+ years?
No he doesn't because he probably was too young to watch hockey during that period. This thread reeks of somebody who is young and wants to feel manly by calling for more fighting and calling everyone who disagrees a wimp or telling them to watch soccer. It happens every few months it seems like.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
Or if you like watching people punch each other so much, you could go watch boxing. Most people don't care if fighting is a part of hockey or not. I've never met a person in my life who said they watch hockey because of fighting.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Nah.

If I wanted to watch fighting, I'd actually watch people trained to do it who are... you know... actually good at it. Not guys throwing sloppy haymakers while struggling to balance on skates.

Concussions are up because players are bigger and faster than they were in the 80s, and the rule-changes after the 2005 lockout increased the speed at which players could skate through the NZ into the OZ. Combine that with a crackdown on obstruction that used to allow opposition to slow players down with hooks and holds, and you've got guys hitting each other at speeds you couldn't otherwise reach without a vehicle.

If you want to reduce concussions, you eliminate fighting completely (already happening organically as new generations grow up playing hockey with very little or no fighting), and you take an IIHF-style hard-line against headshots.

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
No he doesn't because he probably was too young to watch hockey during that period. This thread reeks of somebody who is young and wants to feel manly by calling for more fighting and calling everyone who disagrees a wimp or telling them to watch soccer. It happens every few months it seems like.

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
Nah.

If I wanted to watch fighting, I'd actually watch people trained to do it who are... you know... actually good at it. Not guys throwing sloppy haymakers while struggling to balance on skates.

Concussions are up because players are bigger and faster than they were in the 80s, and the rule-changes after the 2005 lockout increased the speed at which players could skate through the NZ into the OZ. Combine that with a crackdown on obstruction that used to allow opposition to slow players down with hooks and holds, and you've got guys hitting each other at speeds you couldn't otherwise reach without a vehicle.

If you want to reduce concussions, you eliminate fighting completely (already happening organically as new generations grow up playing hockey with very little or no fighting), and you take an IIHF-style hard-line against headshots.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I don't think I've ever seen hockey players skate as slow as they did in that clip. If a hockey player today skated at that pace, they'd be called out for dogging it.

The athleticism back then simply isn't what it is now. Which is natural, athletes are always getting better.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I'm not sure what you are proving by spamming old fighting videos, we all realize that fighting happened in hockey of the past but that doesn't mean that it needs to continue.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
I don't think I've ever seen hockey players skate as slow as they did in that clip. If a hockey player today skated at that pace, they'd be called out for dogging it.

The athleticism back then simply isn't what it is now. Which is natural, athletes are always getting better.

Watch this. My personal favorite is the face slam into the fence

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

85 million people watched the playoffs this year, which had almost no fighting. The game is just fine without it.

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
I'm not sure what you are proving by spamming old fighting videos, we all realize that fighting happened in hockey of the past but that doesn't mean that it needs to continue.

Im not spamming, I am backing up my argument to people contesting it. People are saying that I am wrong or young and I am showing them they are incorrect.
Hockey is an essential part of hockey. Hitting is an essential part of the sport.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Im not spamming, I am backing up my argument to people contesting it. People are saying that I am wrong or young and I am showing them they are incorrect.
Hockey is an essential part of hockey. Hitting is an essential part of the sport.
I'm not sure how videos from 60 years ago proves that fighting should stay in the game

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Videos of old hockey don't prove your point. All it proves is that hockey has had fighting in it in the past. Things change.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I do agree that they should study pads. The pads have grown in size and strength to the point the person delivering a check barely feels it. Shrink/soften the pads a bit and some of these 'human missile' hits will disappear as players don't want to demolish their own shoulder to deliver a hit.

Reactions: Sam Adams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce