NHL-NBC TV Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Minnesota or Atlanta got a second chance. Looks like a nice new big arena is a requirement these days in the NHL and the only remaining teams without one are Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Long Island.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ziggy Stardust said:
Well the same could be said with the NHL revisiting Minnesota or Atlanta.

I think Minny blew it when they lost the North Stars...they realised it and now sell out every game.

Atlanta had their chance with the Flames in the 70s but Bettman was hell-bent on expanding hockey to major T.V markets :dunno:

YellHockey*

Ziggy Stardust said:
Minnesota or Atlanta got a second chance. Looks like a nice new big arena is a requirement these days in the NHL and the only remaining teams without one are Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Long Island.

Don't forget Edmonton!

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
e-townchamps said:
I think Minny blew it when they lost the North Stars...they realised it and now sell out every game.

:

nah, we got hosed when Norm Green(that insidious little *****) modell'd us...Minnesota's life blood is hockey, so that market was viable, it just took the logistics of an arena, location,etc...

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
rwilson99 said:
IMO, the disdain for hockey in non-traditional markets is Anti-American elitism, tainted by financial ignorance.
I'd say it's more like anti-Southern elitism, but otherwise agree, it's definitely elitism. We saw a lot of that attitude in the press during the playoffs, you know what I mean.

Great posts in general, sir! :handclap:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Sotnos said:
I'd say it's more like anti-Southern elitism, but otherwise agree, it's definitely elitism. We saw a lot of that attitude in the press during the playoffs, you know what I mean.

Great posts in general, sir! :handclap:

Let's not start that silliness, now. Lots of Northerners are kind of dopey about hockey being "Canadian" and get kind of pigheaded like they have some exclusive right to the game, but I think "anti-Southern elitism" is a pretty negative stretch. I don't think many of my countrymen are prejudiced against anyone by geographical area. But hey, Oliver Stone might pick up the idea and make a movie..... ;)

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Sotnos said:

um, its more like our-league-is-overgrown-and-in-non-viable-non-hockey-marketsism.

We live in this great place called REALITY where all the teams in the south are dying a quick death due to a financially unviable future (as in: no one cares for the NHL outside of the playoffs). Elitism is holding to the incorrect notion that hockey is working down there, and then talking down to those who point our youre wrong.

Go Flames Go*

Minny is a hockey market one of the best in the NHL too bad there coach dosent like to put excitment on the ice for the fans there.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I dont know this for sure because I don't live there, but I heard Dallas has really grown quite well as a hockey market for young kids. Not just the Dallas Stars but I guess a lot of high schools are getting hockey teams down there and younger kids seem to be getting into it. Like I said Im not 100% on this, but thats what I've heard.

cbjrocks

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
HckyFght said:
Karmanos, owner of the 'Canes, is an interesting cat. He lives near Detroit and is a big player there as the founder of Compuware and cancer charities. Why he bought the Whalers in the first place is anyone's guess. He also sits on important committees at the league and is a major player in the NHL. Being from Detroit I guess he's a huge hockey fan and wanted to own a team. Don't blame him, wouldn't it be cool to own an NHL team? But Karmanos, a relative newcomer (1994) ascended so high so fast, buying a team with arguably the leagues worst profile, is intrigueing. His team is never excluded when contraction is mentioned. Any thoughts?
-HckyFght!

And remember, he was damn close to bringing the Whalers to Columbus. But, Bettman got him to go to Carolina and promised Columbus an expansion team.

Karmanos would have been better off getting the Whalers to Columbus, but I'm glad he's not in this town

rwilson99

no13matssundin said:
um, its more like our-league-is-overgrown-and-in-non-viable-non-hockey-marketsism.

We live in this great place called REALITY where all the teams in the south are dying a quick death due to a financially unviable future (as in: no one cares for the NHL outside of the playoffs). Elitism is holding to the incorrect notion that hockey is working down there, and then talking down to those who point our youre wrong.

The problems with the NHL are not geographic in nature.

Three of the teams in the most crippling financial situations are in Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Ottawa, it get's plenty cold in all of those cities.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
rwilson99 said:
The problems with the NHL are not geographic in nature.

Three of the teams in the most crippling financial situations are in Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Ottawa, it get's plenty cold in all of those cities.

Yes, but in those markets the problem is the sky-high prices, the out of the way or dilapitated venues and, in Pittsburgh for instance, the fact that the product is crap.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Bring Back Bucky said:
Let's not start that silliness, now. Lots of Northerners are kind of dopey about hockey being "Canadian" and get kind of pigheaded like they have some exclusive right to the game, but I think "anti-Southern elitism" is a pretty negative stretch. I don't think many of my countrymen are prejudiced against anyone by geographical area.
Silliness? You must not read your own media then and you must skip a LOT of stuff on these boards. I have a nice list of articles with ridiculous stereotypes and outright lies about Tampa fans published in Canada throughout the playoffs. If you want the links and quotes, let me know, I've learned to keep it handy. That is not to even mention the many NASCAR jokes and the general anti-American attitude of half the posters here. Yeah, there's no elitism whatsoever, I'm making it up.

no13matssundin said:
We live in this great place called REALITY where all the teams in the south are dying a quick death due to a financially unviable future (as in: no one cares for the NHL outside of the playoffs).
Is this the same "reality" where Tampa was one of the few teams to make money last year?
Elitism is holding to the incorrect notion that hockey is working down there, and then talking down to those who point our youre wrong.
:lol: No, elitism is holding the incorrect notion that hockey can't work anywhere outside of Canada (and a few select Northern US markets that get your approval) and should never be given the chance to do so. That's both closed-minded and sad.

rwilson99

no13matssundin said:
Yes, but in those markets the problem is the sky-high prices, the out of the way or dilapitated venues and, in Pittsburgh for instance, the fact that the product is crap.

The problem with those markets is the fact that they are shrinking, and as a result do not have the population, or tax base to support a ticket revenue driven business.

What's wrong with Ottawa's arena anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad