NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - LUCKY PHASE THIRTEEN! Part One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
We were torn here between adding a full time horn, or someone who can fill in on bass if Carol was to swap in for something else should we add a sixth musician. Then we remembered that the beauty of having Carol in the band is that she can teach bass to one of the other members (phrasing).

With such a strong Soul/Blues/Jazz feel, it would be criminal not to make this pick. The product of a rough childhood in New Orleans, he learned to sing and play cornet at a young age, eventually learning trumpet, which would become his signature instrument. He helped shape jazz across a five-decade career which included playing with many other notable artists, as well as turns in movies. His instantly recognizable voice might have been due to the result of illness during his early adulthood.

Team Musician #6: Louis (not GM Doug) Armstrong

And we're spent.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I need a classic film. I explored taking [Ranch] because it was a thematic fit on multiple levels, with deaths of multiple crew members and a flaming zeppelin and all, but I've never actually watched the whole thing, and it's not supposed to be very good outside of all the groundbreaking flight stunts. I thought about silent classics like [Liverwurst], [Ranch], or [Liverwurst], but ultimately decided that our classic film had to have the elements that first made me love old films. Sadly, the first older non-children's film I can remember loving was swiped off of the board unexpectedly, and extremely early at that, by none other than that pervert in Montreal. I can still remember watching Arsenic and Old Lace for the first time with my family and laughing until I had asthma. Well, if I can't have A & O L, at least I can mine similar territory.

First, my classic film needs to be a comedy. Second, it needs serious old Hollywood star power. Third, at least some of that star power has to be in the form of Cary Grant.

I love watching Cary Grant. He was effortlessly debonair but never took himself very seriously, and seemed to genuinely enjoy making a fool of himself in his comedic work. George Clooney's comedy work, especially with NJFZ directors the Coen Bros, is just shamelessly stolen from Grant. Come to think of it, Clooney's dramatic work, indeed his whole persona, is heavily, shall we say, influenced by Grant.

So, a Cary Grant comedy, but which one? I've been mulling over two films in particular, [Ranch] and [Liverwurst]. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I needed as much star power as in our on-ice product. In other words, we needed a film that was yar, i.e. The Philadelphia Story.

3161241_so.jpg

Grant, Hepburn, & Stewart? It's like McDavid & Drai & MacKinnon, but with a much better supporting cast.

@Chuck Downie

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The girl was never there. It's always the same - I'm running towards nothing. Again and again and again and again.

tumblr_nupdawGNKf1u2le02o4_400.gifv

We start the day with @GKJ on the clock. He has a guilty pleasure to pick. @pit is on deck with one more musician's member slot hole to stuff. OOF! He and I have extremely similar taste in music, so I'm excited to see who he picks, if he picks. You know what they say - you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's favorites who he is keeping ready for the SUUPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP TWO PHASE! I have a feeling that Hollywood Couturier isn't going to pick another musician, but I'll check. If he isn't, the atrociously malbrained imbecile @Lord Defect is on the lido deck. He has a hole to fill in his band, The Banjo Abortion, but knowing him, he will probably try to stuff it with mayonnaise and then argue with me for an hour about why that stupidity should be allowed. Speaking of broken, useless minds, yours truly is up after him with my GIF to select.

So, Alice came home yesterday. That was super cool. I had a feeling all along that she had been let inside by one of the neighboring farms and was just hanging out there, but it was over two months, so you never know. About a week ago we put up some literal flyers asking if anyone had seen her, and it looks like ours were way better than Chuck's, because VOILA! she came back. She was STARVING when she got here, so they probably let her out several days ago and it took her a while to wander back. She's a small cat anyway, but she was looking extra skinny. She ate like a pig, even though there were no side dishes or pie.

I'm going to get in a session of civilization destruction, and then we have to finish off this glorious phase, and then I'll launch the next phase, which is the 14th and not the 15th, and the directors draft at around the same time. So gird your loins.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would pick ‘still watching every Flyers game’ as guilty pleasure, but I remind myself there isn’t any actual pleasure.

So I’ll go with ‘still watching WWE’ since elements of it are still good even though overall WWE objectively sucks. If no one believes me, I dare you to watch it too.

@pit

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

GM Doug: Hello mortals. I am zooming in this pick. Yeah, they let me work from home. Something to be said for this Omicron thing. Maybe someone else can handle the director picks for us. I'm not sure I can depend on someone else to have the savvy to not screw this franchise into the ground with bad picks, but it's hard to say.

I thought I might be done assembling this band. Heck, it might have been a trio if someone had not stolen PJ Harvey from us. But I thought about it and while Julien Baker can tickle the ivories, it might be good for us to have someone who is full-time on the keys who also does some lovely backing vocals. And hell, it puts a Scot in the band too. Unfortunately this artist was taken from us too young (f*** cancer) at 33, but that's the great part about a fantasy band - anything can happen.

The Chimpanzees select Carey Lander from Camera Obscura as their sixth and final band member.

Now that it has been fully formed, the band will be called VI.

For those of you without schooling who don't know Roman numerals, the name is pronounced Six.

@Lord Defect , bring us one step closer to completion.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Excellent band names, boys. Camera Obscura kicks ass, but they also destroyed my brain. The other day I was thinking about posting something about music, and I went to double-check the below song's release date. It said it was from 2006. I refuse to believe that it wasn't from 1997-98, like I remember. I can't possibly be that brain-damaged. Anyway, it rules.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Excellent band names, boys. Camera Obscura kicks ass, but they also destroyed my brain. The other day I was thinking about posting something about music, and I went to double-check the below song's release date. It said it was from 2006. I refuse to believe that it wasn't from 1997-98, like I remember. I can't possibly be that brain-damaged. Anyway, it rules.

I literally did exactly this the other day when you posted that Sobs song. I swore it came out at least before 2000. Blew my mind.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The girl was never there. It's always the same - I'm running towards nothing. Again and again and again and again.

tumblr_nupdawGNKf1u2le02o4_400.gifv

We start the day with @GKJ on the clock. He has a guilty pleasure to pick. @pit is on deck with one more musician's member slot hole to stuff. OOF! He and I have extremely similar taste in music, so I'm excited to see who he picks, if he picks. You know what they say - you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's favorites who he is keeping ready for the SUUPLEMENTAL SUPERGROUP TWO PHASE! I have a feeling that Hollywood Couturier isn't going to pick another musician, but I'll check. If he isn't, the atrociously malbrained imbecile @Lord Defect is on the lido deck. He has a hole to fill in his band, The Banjo Abortion, but knowing him, he will probably try to stuff it with mayonnaise and then argue with me for an hour about why that stupidity should be allowed. Speaking of broken, useless minds, yours truly is up after him with my GIF to select.

So, Alice came home yesterday. That was super cool. I had a feeling all along that she had been let inside by one of the neighboring farms and was just hanging out there, but it was over two months, so you never know. About a week ago we put up some literal flyers asking if anyone had seen her, and it looks like ours were way better than Chuck's, because VOILA! she came back. She was STARVING when she got here, so they probably let her out several days ago and it took her a while to wander back. She's a small cat anyway, but she was looking extra skinny. She ate like a pig, even though there were no side dishes or pie.

I'm going to get in a session of civilization destruction, and then we have to finish off this glorious phase, and then I'll launch the next phase, which is the 14th and not the 15th, and the directors draft at around the same time. So gird your loins.
This should be the "opener" band

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
First I am going to show you the GIF that I didn't choose. I wanted to, because it actually worked perfectly, but I kind of painted myself into a corner when I explained that this would be the only GIF to take with us into the new world and use on the Hockey's Quackverse Boards. There no reason to use this except for making fun of Benny. Anyway, this is called "Fugitive Twit Finale"

lOO4cEh.gif

I could go with the obvious, but I'm guessing the Quackverse is going to be way less frustrating than Earth Prime, so I'll choose the positive option. Also, this is the second-best use of an existing GIF that I have ever used.

XG1cPqR.gif

Team GIF - Junkie Kermit

@BiggE

This is obviously my best use of an existing GIF:

H91iMnE.gif

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm posting this in here to save for later - you can look at it, but you can only guess what it might mean. HAHAHAHAHA!

Allentown Attack

vs

New Jersey Flaming Zeppelins

Chicago Chimpanzees

vs

Las Vegas Desert Ducks

Honolulu Ghibli

vs

Providence Platypi

Jacksonville Methgators

vs

Tampa Bay Firesticks

Las Vegas Desert Ducks

vs

Chicago Chimpanzees

Les Comiques de Saint-Louis-du-Ha!Ha!

vs

Portland Fog

Los Angeles Whalers

vs

New York M.A.D. Cats

Montreal Sexpos

vs

Quebec Lapins

New Jersey Flaming Zeppelins

vs

Allentown Attack

New York M.A.D. Cats

vs

Les Comiques de Saint-Louis-du-Ha!Ha!

Philadelphia Villains

vs

Virginia Beach Surge

Portland Fog

vs

Los Angeles Whalers

Providence Platypi

vs

Honolulu Ghibli

Quebec Lapins

vs

Montreal Sexpos

Seattle Sockeyes

vs

Vancouver Beavers

St. Paul Stay Pufts

vs

Tijuana Toads

Tampa Bay Firesticks

vs

Jacksonville Methgators

Tijuana Toads

vs

St. Paul Stay Pufts

Vancouver Beavers

vs

Seattle Sockeyes

Virginia Beach Surge

vs

Philadelphia Villains
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I'm posting this in here to save for later - you can look at it, but you can only guess what it might mean. HAHAHAHAHA!

Allentown AttackvsNew Jersey Flaming Zeppelins
Chicago ChimpanzeesvsLas Vegas Desert Ducks
Honolulu GhiblivsProvidence Platypi
Jacksonville MethgatorsvsTampa Bay Firesticks
Las Vegas Desert DucksvsChicago Chimpanzees
Les Comiques de Saint-Louis-du-Ha!Ha!vsPortland Fog
Los Angeles WhalersvsNew York M.A.D. Cats
Montreal SexposvsQuebec Lapins
New Jersey Flaming ZeppelinsvsAllentown Attack
New York M.A.D. CatsvsLes Comiques de Saint-Louis-du-Ha!Ha!
Philadelphia VillainsvsVirginia Beach Surge
Portland FogvsLos Angeles Whalers
Providence PlatypivsHonolulu Ghibli
Quebec LapinsvsMontreal Sexpos
Seattle SockeyesvsVancouver Beavers
St. Paul Stay PuftsvsTijuana Toads
Tampa Bay FiresticksvsJacksonville Methgators
Tijuana ToadsvsSt. Paul Stay Pufts
Vancouver BeaversvsSeattle Sockeyes
Virginia Beach SurgevsPhiladelphia Villains
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rivals?