NHL Marketing and Fighting

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
What I don't understand is when people say: "I'd rather have fast superstars than fighting!"

Why are the two mutually exclusive? You can easily (and we have for the entire history of the sport) have both. I'm interested why people are considering what Wilson did to injure Panarin as "Fighting". That's not fighting, and if he was issued a 5 minute major for fighting, then that was the wrong call.

The past few Sens games, I've watched Brannstrom, Norris, Tkachuk, Dzingel, and Paul all get into fights. Mutually consenting fights that started and ended without controversy. Each player finished out their games, and were also effective players with the puck as well, that all do exciting things on the ice, that make it fun to watch. So what the hell is the issue then?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Fighting is part of what draws fans to the NHL, it’s part of the game and needs to be in the game

Reactions: Ridge1982

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh man. Let's begin.

So one of your two arguments for why fighting is problematic for marketing hockey is that many people find fighting integral to hockey, but that the league doesn't look "serious" because of it.

This is ridiculous. Many people currently that watch hockey like fighting and big hits. As you even point out. These things are a boon for marketing hockey.

You're kind of doing the same thing that that other guy did. Throw in something that is true that is irrelevant to this thread and mix it in with fighting to fortify your argument. I'm not sure what big hits have anything to do with anything. If I brought them up it was mostly to say that we shouldn't conflate "physical play" and "fighting" and I defended hits and checking. I'm sure many people like fighting but I posit that that's mostly the older generation. This a younger board, has fans of fighting of course but every poll I've ever seen on the issue has people overwhelmingly saying they'll watch the same amount if fighting was treated like it was in other sports. And sure you can say that they're die hards, but who are these casual fans watching games hoping for a 15% chance of a fight (that's a stat I found in 2018-19, 15% of games had fights, since you want evidence: 'The new normal': Why fighting in the NHL has dropped to historic lows What kind of evidence do you want beyond that? Here's an article that has evidence that people prefer the skill over fighting. The central point is that fighting isn't going away from the minor leagues which I can agree with. But in the NHL fans prefer skill period:

Sorry, NHL fans: fighting is here to stay

In the end this is my opinion, I'm not writing a PhD dissertation on hockey fighting, nor do I work for Harris or Ipsos. That said my opinion beyond that article is that fighting makes the league look like a joke to enough people. I might not have a study to confirm this but since when has that been a standard to post on this board? And where exactly is your evidence about anything that you've stated?

You've equated fighting in hockey with a person who says "silly things" to prove it means they're not taken seriously. This isn't an argument. Is this what you think marketing is? Saying silly things is obviously silly, but fighting in hockey is not obviously unpopular.

Maybe it wasn't the greatest analogy. The example I'd give is third parties in the US how they have quirky candidates that no one takes seriously and don't know what Aleppo is. So maybe not quite saying "silly things" but fighting is a side show that doesn't exist in any other sport and makes the league look like a joke. Oh and once again I did not write a PhD dissertation on that, it's my OPINION. Since you need evidence show me evidence about this great popularity of hockey fighting in 2021.

This is another assumption on your part without any evidence. There are plenty of players who fight regularly or even infrequently but would never be considered dirty.

I never claimed otherwise. However, MY OPINION is that fighting contributes to a culture of violence in hockey that spills over to dirty play. As I've mentioned just like any culture or ideology ends up quite often going into the extreme. But no I don't have a PhD dissertation on this. I'm still waiting on any evidence from your side about anything.

Where dirty plays are being overlooked, that is the issue. Trying to throw fighting in as the reason the DoPS didn't give Wilson proper discipline is disingenuous and incoherent.

Basically responded to above.

This is your entire argument - without zero evidence or reason supporting it, just assumptions. This could have been the entire post.

"And, in summary, I have provided no evidence or logic, but feel very strongly that fighting needs to go"

Many hockey fans feel fighting is integral to the sport. That's not going to change with any new generation or demographic.

See the article I shared and see repeated polls on HF. People might think it's integral to the sport but the data shows that they prefer the skill. And being integral to the sport doesn't mean that these people will go away if it disappears. The die hards will stay (see repeated HF polls) and the casual fans already have an 85% chance of not catching a game with a fight in it, so they likely won't watch games just for that. And finally, I used "part of its core identity" as a pejorative. Because it makes the sport look bush league to many people that reduce it to fighting. I will say that since fighting has gone down there are probably fewer people like that think that way now.

I've tried not to "flame" but I think you've not really provided any sound reason that fighting is limiting the NHL's marketability.

You're fine, you didn't flame but you didn't make one compelling argument just a lot of demands for evidence on a hockey message board without providing any yourself. Show me the evidence that fighting is as popular as you say and would drive away fans if it did away with it. I can make demands too.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What was it that someone said about asking others to do their work for them? Show the ratings yourself. And while you're at it, stop conflating issues like the oh-so-scary wokeness and physical play. And since you brought those both up, you'll also have to perform a quantitative analysis regarding the proportionality of which aspect has resulted declining ratings. Be sure to cite your sources.

Sure. Ratings down 25% in a decade.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Did you ignore my post with evidence that you're wrong? That's due to politics which have nothing to do with physical play. From 2008-2015 when the league exploding in term of offense the Super Bowl ratings (couldn't find regular season ratings) exploded. 2017, a lot of people didn't like the politics but what does that have to do with fighting in the NHL?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Did you ignore my post with evidence that you're wrong? That's due to politics which have nothing to do with physical play. From 2008-2015 when the league exploding in term of offense the Super Bowl ratings (couldn't find regular season ratings) exploded. 2017, a lot of people didn't like the politics but what does that have to do with fighting in the NHL?

What does bringing up a league with 100s of billions in advertising, 18 games with 1 game a week to make it easy to follow, a marketing department that’s knows how to market, and being part of a countries culture where the Super Bowl is almost as popular as Christmas...

Plus TVs becoming cheaper and America adding 25 million people in the time frame you stated...

What does that have to do with fighting in the NHL?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What does bringing up a league with 100s of billions in advertising, 18 games with 1 game a week to make it easy to follow, a marketing department that’s knows how to market, and being part of a countries culture where the Super Bowl is almost as popular as Christmas...

Plus TVs becoming cheaper and America adding 25 million people in the time frame you stated...

What does that have to do with fighting in the NHL?

Did you read the debate I had with BruinsBtn? Or did you pick and choose? He said that the league lost viewers when it went "woke" and stopped physical play. I showed him that sure the "woke" thing is true but not relevant, and during a period of time offense opened up and the physical play declined the NFL has seen an INCREASE in viewership. I was rebutting his argument that was false.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Wrong again. The drop started way before the politics.

But your point was "do what the NFL is doing", which is pretty laughable given a 25% decline in NFL viewership.

But it's just another example of nothing that you believe being based in facts or reality

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Did you read the debate I had with BruinsBtn? Or did you pick and choose? He said that the league lost viewers when it went "woke" and stopped physical play. I showed him that sure the "woke" thing is true but not relevant, and during a period of time offense opened up and the physical play declined the NFL has seen an INCREASE in viewership. I was rebutting his argument that was false.

You didn't show anything, you embarrassed yourself by faking a timeline.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wrong again. The drop started way before the politics.

But your point was "do what the NFL is doing", which is pretty laughable given a 25% decline in NFL viewership.

But it's just another example of nothing that you believe being based in facts or reality

Show me the evidence like you said, I can quote numbers all day long. I haven't seen NFL numbers for regular season games, but I used the Super Bowl as a proxy. The drop started in 2015, but it was small likely just random variation, the CK protest was in 2016, so one year for minor drop that was probably just random at that point. 2017 was when the drop was significant and that WAS because of the politics. As far as you criticizing "do what the NFL is doing", what can the NFL do about their players kneeling during the anthem? That's not a policy of theirs. And they tried banning it and it got them bad publicity on the other side. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place in a difficult political issue. Which btw, the NHL tried to follow as well (see: Matt Dumba). In the end the NFL is still worlds more successful than the NHL. Granted it's not because of fighting but it's still a good league to follow, better than keeping doing what they're doing and being afterthought. And once again you failed to answer what politics has to do with physical play.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You didn't show anything, you embarrassed yourself by faking a timeline.

Why don't you show me something hotshot? You've yet to provide any evidence of your claim. I can make up numbers all day long. I showed you a chart, now it's your turn to show me some evidence. I'll be waiting here.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
There are no more rivalries in the NHL. Pens games vs Philly and DC are bland these days. No hatred, no rivalry.
The hockey is better now but the lack of hatred between rivals is hurting the game IMO.

Reactions: Ridge1982

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Why don't you show me something hotshot? You've yet to provide any evidence of your claim. I can make up numbers all day long. I showed you a chart, now it's your turn to show me some evidence. I'll be waiting here.

You haven't backed up a single statement you've made.

But I will make you a bet: the ratings for Wednesday's game will be higher than Monday.

Loser deletes their account. Put up or shutup...hotshot

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You haven't backed up a single statement you've made.

But I will make you a bet: the ratings for Wednesday's game will be higher than Monday.

Loser deletes their account. Put up or shutup

I shared a Super Bowl viewership with you, you shared a statistic that you pulled out of your ass and doesn't say anything about when the drop started. The drop was so big in 2017 that over the last decade it HAS decreased but the drop didn't start in 2017. And at least provide a f***ing link or chart, or something. You heave and ho about evidence and haven't presented one single bit of evidence.

Also even if the ratings are higher on Wednesday there's absolutely no evidence that it'll be because of that game, ratings fluctuate all the time. f***, even if they are higher because of one game that proves literally nothing long term.

And I'm not deleting my account due to any bets I make with some guy that has an axe to grind because his feelings were hurt someone criticized his sacred cow.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I shared a Super Bowl viewership with you, you shared a statistic that you pulled out of your ass and doesn't say anything about when the drop started. The drop was so big in 2017 that over the last decade it HAS decreased but the drop didn't start in 2017. And at least provide a f***ing link or chart, or something. You heave and ho about evidence and haven't presented one single bit of evidence.

Also even if the ratings are higher on Wednesday there's absolutely no evidence that it'll be because of that game, ratings fluctuate all the time. f***, even if they are higher because of one game that proves literally nothing long term.

And I'm not deleting my account due to any bets I make with some guy that has an axe to grind because his feelings were hurt someone criticized his sacred cow.

Figures.

That's what usually happens when feelings run into facts.

Go back to your bubble where people don't tune in to see violence.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
So you can’t actually attribute that decline to anything in particular? Another poster already did your work for you to show that it is not attributable to the decline in physicality, so your entire position is DOA.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
So you can’t actually attribute that decline to anything in particular? Another poster already did your work for you to show that it is not attributable to the decline in physicality, so your entire position is DOA.

Nope

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
In 2020 UFC sold for $4 billion dollars. Which is seriously impressive growth over the last 20 years.

Then consider that the 4 most valuable teams in the NHL are worth more than that.

Without wading into the right or wrong of it, hockey almost certainly has a better chance at growth without fighting than it does with.
10 years ago, the UFC was a joke nobody cared about. NHL has been around for over 100 years.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, it's pretty much the truth. Look at the Fighting forum on this website. Crickets. Yet it's still there, year after year.

The NHL deliberately cashed in on fighting for a long time, even if they will never admit that was what it was about. But that day has passed and it's pretty clear that the vast majority of hockey fans would rather have a healthy superstar on their team than the odd scrap between 5-goal goons.

I think the majority of fans wouldn’t mind both.

Reactions: McDonald19

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Purely subjective.

fighting has continually decreased the last decades, and the sport has grown. Not proof that fighting necessarily held the sport back but it is proof the fighting wasnt the main draw by any stretch, losing fighting likely hasn’t pissed off more fans than it attracted(/potential fans it didn’t push away)

Grown in what regard? Revenue? There are 32 teams now.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The idea that people who say they don’t watch or like hockey because of fighting are going to turn into rabid fans if the NHL ever removes fighting is laughable at best.

Agreed. It’s a funny narrative a few people have been pushing for decades. Hockey is a niche sport, and banning fighting isn’t going to make hockey more relevant.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Look at UFC if you have to see fighting, they’re so much better and the fights are much more intense and technical. I’ll rather watch good stuff with the puck than abysmal wrestling.

I actually don’t like UFC or boxing. I don’t like people training to beat the crap out of someone. I like spontaneous fights and animosity between hockey teams. I like the combination of skill and physicality that hockey offers.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
And extremely low scoring. Let's see how popular hockey is when there's no fighting, no hits and the majority of the games end 1-0 or 1-2. Especially in North America.

No goals, no hits, no fights, no great scoring chances.

Plenty of neutral zone trap and shot blocking to entertain the fans though.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Are we to believe the league has not performed some sort of legitimate financial analysis concerning fighting versus no fighting, and have decided against the side which generates more revenue?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Organic fights help teams and players with game management and keeps players accountable. Staged fights are cheap entertainment and water down the game.

NHL marketing promotes competition, and organic fighting helps keep the focus on competition. Fighting is up this season because the competition is higher. When tensions boil, fighting takes the kettle off the pot and puts the players' focus back in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad