NHL Making *Formal* Offer Today? (Feb.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

leaflover said:
Very interesting indeed.
Dare i say the E word?

What the heck..........encouraging :)

I'm not so encouraged, read the article. Brian says the league would accept a luxury tax in addition to a cap. The NHL is NOT comming off its hard cap stance, at least not this year. The Toronto Star mangled that headline. It's completely misleading, nothing new for the Star.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
I'm not so encouraged, read the article. Brian says the league would accept a luxury tax in addition to a cap. The NHL is NOT comming off its hard cap stance, at least not this year. The Toronto Star mangled that headline. It's completely misleading, nothing new for the Star.
Encouraging in the sense there appears to be a genuine interest in actually negotiating rather than the posturing we've witnessed so far.

SENSible1*

Wetcoaster said:
The Toronto Star is reporting the NHL owners are willing to discuss something othert than a hard cap - a luxury tax.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1107213016996&call_pageid=970599119419

The source is none other than the Mouth that Roared - Brian Burke.

Well it's nice to have the PA spin before it hits the airwaves and newsprint.

However this is framed, there will be a linkage between salaries and revenues, just like Bettman always demanded.

Hope this face-saving stance is good enough for Bobby.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
leaflover said:
Encouraging in the sense there appears to be a genuine interest in actually negotiating rather than the posturing we've witnessed so far.

If the proposal is a “soft cap” at 32 mil and a hard cap at 42 mil, I wouldn’t regard that as much of a compromise at all from the NHL’s standpoint. Any hard cap is still a hard cap system. I’m not encouraged by this… if the PA accepted this offer it would be because they caved… there’s no other way to interpret it, and I doubt they will accept an offer from the NHL that offers almost no compromise from their standpoint whatsoever.

At some point, one of these fools is going to have to propose a true soft cap with luxury tax penalties… that would be a true compromise from both sides. I’m sick to death of all these stubborn *******s on both sides.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
F them

They have passed the point of no return. The season is gone.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
crossxcheck said:
This roller coaster is getting old. Let's just officially cancel this season and move on!!!

You know, I understand your frustration, but canceling the season won't be "moving on". The owners and the players would still have to get back to the negociation table next fall unless the NHL really want to declare an impasse, something I don't believe they are willing to risk. The same circus would happen in 7 months, but by this time the league could have loss a significant portion of its value.

All these talks and rumors are really getting on our collective nerves, but we must hold it and not lose faith. Personnaly, I'm still optimist and believe it's going to be like that until the end. No way the two sides would suddendly stop talking while they are still on the media spotlight and under huge pressure to get the deal done.

I'm currently in negociation with my boss to get my yearly raise, and somehow I can see a similar process happening between us two over the years. The first times, I was insecure and ready to sign as soon as I can. Now, I understand that getting there slowly is part of the game. I can meet him two or three times with both of us completely disagreeing, but then we'll both say "OK" five minutes later. The game is to hold on to get the best deal possible without endangering the relationship forever.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Goldthorpe said:
You know, I understand your frustration, but canceling the season won't be "moving on". The owners and the players would still have to get back to the negociation table next fall unless the NHL really want to declare an impasse, something I don't believe they are willing to risk. The same circus would happen in 7 months, but by this time the league could have loss a significant portion of its value.

All these talks and rumors are really getting on our collective nerves, but we must hold it and not lose faith. Personnaly, I'm still optimist and believe it's going to be like that until the end. No way the two sides would suddendly stop talking while they are still on the media spotlight and under huge pressure to get the deal done.

I'm currently in negociation with my boss to get my yearly raise, and somehow I can see a similar process happening between us two over the years. The first times, I was insecure and ready to sign as soon as I can. Now, I understand that getting there slowly is part of the game. I can meet him two or three times with both of us completely disagreeing, but then we'll both say "OK" five minutes later. The game is to hold on to get the best deal possible without endangering the relationship forever.

I meant move on as focus on the new CBA and next season and quit getting our hopes up for this season. I'd much rather them cancel this season and work out a good deal than churn out some POS just to play hockey (doubt that would happen again).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
FAN 590 has picked up on this. They said Bill Daly denied this report on sportsnet.

Everything going according to plan.

People keep saying the season should just be canceled, as if this will be good for the game? Are you kidding? The cancelling of the season is the point of no return.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
darkboy said:
If the proposal is a “soft cap†at 32 mil and a hard cap at 42 mil, I wouldn’t regard that as much of a compromise at all from the NHL’s standpoint. Any hard cap is still a hard cap system. I’m not encouraged by this… if the PA accepted this offer it would be because they caved… there’s no other way to interpret it, and I doubt they will accept an offer from the NHL that offers almost no compromise from their standpoint whatsoever.

At some point, one of these fools is going to have to propose a true soft cap with luxury tax penalties… that would be a true compromise from both sides. I’m sick to death of all these stubborn *******s on both sides.

The NHL isn't going off of linkage, in some way or form. The Leagues current proposal, with the profit sharing, is going off linkage when times are good, while maintaining linkage when times are bad. If the Union won't accept this form of deal, then its over, and the Union has killed the sport.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Egil said:
The NHL isn't going off of linkage, in some way or form. The Leagues current proposal, with the profit sharing, is going off linkage when times are good, while maintaining linkage when times are bad. If the Union won't accept this form of deal, then its over, and the Union has killed the sport.

Are you saying the offer that Brian Burke is the one that's really going to be offered, or do you beleive the hard cap at $42M is it.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
westcoast said:
I agree, I don't think any individual has benefited from the lockout as much as Brian Burke.
If Brian Burke wants to pursue a career in TV/radio, he has benefited. But I don't think he has done his chances of holding a position within NHL headquarters any good....

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
If we can get this resolved by mid March there is still time for a five game season , hopefully a shootout will determine the final playoff spot. They can stick it up their ass.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
If we can get this resolved by mid March there is still time for a five game season , hopefully a shootout will determine the final playoff spot. They can stick it up their ass.
:lol

Why not just rock-paper-scissors for the Cup?

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Since the NHL pays the players relatively little during the playoffs, the league could skip the coin toss regular season, put all the teams in the playoffs, and start 7 game series. One has to admit whoever then wins the cup has won something meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad