NHL in Seattle - First year will be 2021-2022; Arizona moving to Central division

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Seattle to join NHL as 32nd franchise in 2021-22!

"If you’ve followed the NHL Seattle saga over the last year or so, you’ve probably seen all of their marketing materials have been branded the same way. Everything is red and black — arena renderings, billboards, website graphics, Facebook and Twitter icons, all of it. Even the local youth team jersey that’s been present on the stage for their major announcements, including today’s, is red and black — the Washington Wild, who basically wear New Jersey Devils sweaters."

"Lastly, our ties to the local Native American tribes run deep. Seattle, if I’m not mistaken, is the largest U.S. city named after a Native American — Chief Seattle — a leader of the Suquamish and Duwamish people in the 1800s. And the main colors of tribal art in the Pacific Northwest are black and red with blue and green as secondary colors.
Those secondary colors could be the key to differentiating the Seattle team from the Coyotes, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Senators, Devils, and Flames on the NHL landscape. What if our team was red, black, and turquoise?"

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Do you actually think these are good, or do you just want the Wild to have company with their odd team name? :sarcasm:

Hehe no I don't really think one is like 'wow' or anything! And as a former North Star fan I really still kind of roll my eyes at the Wild name. It's like 'whatever' now, 19 years later basically, but it certainly isn't a great name. I like the actual logo as it's creative and has good colors, but the name Wild is like...some 8 year old got to name them.

But in all seriousness, I think a few of the names I said are not bad. I like Wake, Ascent, and Straights. I could get on with Admirals too.

It's also not always appealing to me to rate my own thoughts haha. I also like Evergreens, but man I wish there was something more intimidating.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Really excited. Congrats to Seattle!

I'll be wearing the Seattle Metropolitans shirt later to celebrate.

As far as names; Kraken is cool but doubtful. Totems is cool. WiFi would be appropriate but, you know.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Seattle to join NHL as 32nd franchise in 2021-22!

"If you’ve followed the NHL Seattle saga over the last year or so, you’ve probably seen all of their marketing materials have been branded the same way. Everything is red and black — arena renderings, billboards, website graphics, Facebook and Twitter icons, all of it. Even the local youth team jersey that’s been present on the stage for their major announcements, including today’s, is red and black — the Washington Wild, who basically wear New Jersey Devils sweaters."

"Lastly, our ties to the local Native American tribes run deep. Seattle, if I’m not mistaken, is the largest U.S. city named after a Native American — Chief Seattle — a leader of the Suquamish and Duwamish people in the 1800s. And the main colors of tribal art in the Pacific Northwest are black and red with blue and green as secondary colors.
Those secondary colors could be the key to differentiating the Seattle team from the Coyotes, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Senators, Devils, and Flames on the NHL landscape. What if our team was red, black, and turquoise?"

Hmmmm. everyone is assuming Green and Gold like the Sonics, but how about something like the 1980s Seahakws jerseys with Red?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was just looking for that “A Case for the Seattle Kraken” thread from this board that was made roughly 3 years ago and it appears to have been wiped along with the server change...

Does anybody have any of that stuff saved?

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Don’t know if a bunch of alpha male hockey players wanna be known as “The Sirens”
Horrifying half-bird, half-human creatures who lured unsuspecting sailors to their deaths with their songs...

But yeah, sure, you can't have a female mascot in a men's league otherwise players will catch cooties and start talking about their feelings.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I see it's officially a 2021 start date. It's crazy when spending $650M for a hockey franchise doesn't qualify for Prime shipping.
There's the matter of arena refurbishment, plus an NHL lockout likely to occur before 2021. Imagine if they started in 2020 and teams were locked out? This is another signal that a lockout is coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad