OT: NHL Hockey package options

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
VPN to literally anywhere else in the world and get ESPN+ if you really want to avoid pirating.

I'm in Sacramento and I get all Oiler games except for ~5 nationally televised games on TSN, and when they play in the local market (Sharks). Espn+ is $10/month.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Canada has terrible sports television coverage. I have never seen it, but I heard ESPN+ is great in the US.

If you think watching hockey is frustrating, try being a soccer (football) fan.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
VPN to literally anywhere else in the world and get ESPN+ if you really want to avoid pirating.

I'm in Sacramento and I get all Oiler games except for ~5 nationally televised games on TSN, and when they play in the local market (Sharks). Espn+ is $10/month.

Any Canadian residents here try this? Apparently you need to figure out a way to use a US based payment to get it.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I literally cannot get Telus in my area. I can't even get Telus Hub. Lol I'm stuck with Xplornet and Shaw Direct. How much for your entire package tho just for comparison sake..
$10 for basic "pick 5" plus $16 for the sports package. Quality is very good.

Reactions: Vagabond

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Can you rewatch ESPN+ games when ever you want? Or at least rewind a live game (lol Sportsnet).

Also what broadcast does ESPN carry, like do they have the Sportsnet feed for Oiler games? They have NBA games too?

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
Can you rewatch ESPN+ games when ever you want? Or at least rewind a live game (lol Sportsnet).

Also what broadcast does ESPN carry, like do they have the Sportsnet feed for Oiler games? They have NBA games too?
I don't know how long the games stay up, but you can start a game late, rewind, fast forward, etc with ESPN+.
They normally have 2 feeds, the local for each team.
No NBA games on ESPN+. I think ESPN has ball sometimes, but ESPN+ won't get you NBA games.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
$10 for basic "pick 5" plus $16 for the sports package. Quality is very good.
I actually pay for Telus basic optik(just in case I ever want to PVR something), but I use IPTV. Every NFL channel, Every MLB channel, every NHL channel, every sports channel you can imagine. All PPV. Every movie channel you can imagine. Always updated VOD of new shows released daily. All for the great price of $15. I have had this service running excellent for almost 4 years now lol.

I just noticed that it now has all AHL streams too. Sweet. Will have to see if they work.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArcKnight

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I actually pay for Telus basic optik(just in case I ever want to PVR something), but I use IPTV. Every NFL channel, Every MLB channel, every NHL channel, every sports channel you can imagine. All PPV. Every movie channel you can imagine. Always updated VOD of new shows released daily. All for the great price of $15. I have had this service running excellent for almost 4 years now lol.

I just noticed that it now has all AHL streams too. Sweet. Will have to see if they work.
nube question here, IPTV is a somewhat generic term as far as I understand it.

Can I ask, what specific IPTV service are you using that gets this buffet of sports? It sounds enticing for sure.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
The illegal streams have been brutal so far this year (NHL must be cracking down). Ended up trying Sportnet app again mid game in a panic and it is still awful. Video stuttering like crazy but the audio works (although a half second ahead of the video). Anyone else with this issue? I tired the apple TV app, and chromecast but had the same issue with both.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The illegal streams have been brutal so far this year (NHL must be cracking down). Ended up trying Sportnet app again mid game in a panic and it is still awful. Video stuttering like crazy but the audio works (although a half second ahead of the video). Anyone else with this issue? I tired the apple TV app, and chromecast but had the same issue with both.

Thats why the pirated streams are far and few between. Its an issue with the source

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think that video stuttering is because of the new board advertisements. I have Bell Satellite and for some games like the TB Flo game today when you see the f***ing fake board advertisements the video stutters like crazy but when they cut to a different angle that show the real boards or show commentators it’s fine.

So I wonder if that terrible video stutter is because they are running the video through a computer program of some kind for those damn fake boards ads then airing it out there and the program can’t keep up. It’s like buffering or something.

It literally makes the game unwatchable and if it keeps up I’m cancelling my NHL package on Bell and the SN Now app.

NHL doing it’s level best to turn away fans in classic Bettman money grab fashion.

Reactions: Oildrum

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
My experience with the "gray" streams is quite good this year (1st time ever). NHL forced me into it cause I want to be able to watch in both Canada & the US & theres no service in Canada which allows you to do that, without a VPN (which for a few reasons isn't ideal). With NHL Live you could watch anywhere in North America,.Not now.
Thanks NHL.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I think that video stuttering is because of the new board advertisements. I have Bell Satellite and for some games like the TB Flo game today when you see the f***ing fake board advertisements the video stutters like crazy but when they cut to a different angle that show the real boards or show commentators it’s fine.

So I wonder if that terrible video stutter is because they are running the video through a computer program of some kind for those damn fake boards ads then airing it out there and the program can’t keep up. It’s like buffering or something.

It literally makes the game unwatchable and if it keeps up I’m cancelling my NHL package on Bell and the SN Now app.

NHL doing it’s level best to turn away fans in classic Bettman money grab fashion.
I actually had the same thought that it may be due to the new board ads.

You're right though their making it hard to watch which won't do anything to attract new fans

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I know it'll likely end up going nowhere but I sent SN now an angry e-mail asking for a refund due to the poor quality of the Oilers game streams (with details on the issues). Hopefully others do the same. Not much else I can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad