Dreger: NHL GMs upset waiting for salary cap to be set. Want to make deals

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They already know it's $82M (+/-). Teams with little to no cap space need to stop crying
You shouldn’t project more than $2 mill more than current cap ceiling. If the end number is higher you have more space.

GMs should only be upset with themselves.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
IMG_2582.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you're a GM, how are you supposed to work with that not knowing if there will be an escalator. And it's ridiculous to ask the NHLPA to make a decision until you give them the final number. This is 100% poor form by the NHL for not getting this done sooner and GMs have every right to be irritated.

But they already met and have discussed the numbers dude. This is not information the NHL is hiding from them. The final cap hit depends on what the NHLPA votes on for a escrow %. It's a process and the next step is likely to see what the NHLPA decides.

Just use $82M as the high. It's going to be close to that.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Bettman is waiting for the Canucks to weaponize their cap space by taking on Lucic.

Once that happens, Bettman will set the cap at 78 million.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I'd agree with you except for they already know it's going to be close to $82M (+/-). I think they can work with this on draft day. If they didn't have an idea, then you may have a point
A million less or a million more is a big difference. Could be the difference for players in a trade or taking a cap dump. Could kill multiple deals. Its just not as simple as "Just work assuming this is your budget".

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A million less or a million more is a big difference. Could be the difference for players in a trade or taking a cap dump. Could kill multiple deals. Its just not as simple as "Just work assuming this is your budget".

This. If teams are assuming they need to fill out their roster and intend on being quite close to the cap, the difference a half million to a million a year when negotiating with RFA's and UFA's is a pretty big deal.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Dreger needed to reach his quota of articles I guess.

What a waste of time. As if the managers don't have number crunchers for these things.

So the Cap hits at 81.5 million instead of 83 mill. Just work as if the Cap was always going to be 81 mill. If it goes to 83 mill then be happy you still have some room post trades.

I'm going to write an article too Titled: Fans upset they have to wait for trades.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Cap should be announced by the all star break. If not then then it will be by the trade deadline for sure. No need to panic.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
"more than a few" - so four gms

teams don't have to be under the cap until much later in the offseason, so i doubt this is really a concern holding up trades. more likely just leverage to complain with.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Pretty f***ing bush league that they still dont know what the cap will be, this far into the offseason.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Cap should be announced by the all star break. If not then then it will be by the trade deadline for sure. No need to panic.
The cap is based on real revenues for the whole season. If they announce it early and their prediction is off by enough then they have to change it in the summer when the audited numbers are known. Playoff revenues would be completely unknown at either of those points and can vary substantially depending on how long series go and which teams are involved.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They already know it's $82M (+/-). Teams with little to no cap space need to stop crying

actually, teams with lots of cap space need to know how much leverage they have over teams with little to no cap space in order to squeeze them properly. i am sure the leafs would rather move marleau before other teams know for sure how hosed they are.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
I understand the arguments that they should just trade anyways - But they probably have a lot of balls in the air like if they do make X trade it will leave them Y budget to resign A players or go into free agency for any of D, F, or G players. If they don't know the cap they don't know if their trade will actually allow them to do the rest how they feel they need to. In uncertain times it can be better to stand pat. Once its sorted they know they're on level ground and can pull trigger.

Plus a lot of the teams moving salary around will want to know just how much retention, or if they'll need to do a buyout etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad