NHL GMs to meet with Bettman Dec 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
[url="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041119.wbett19/BNStory/Sports/"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041119.wbett19/BNStory/Sports/[/url]

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman plans to meet with the league's 30 general managers in New York on Dec. 2 to discuss the NHL lockout. The dinner meeting will serve as an informal update on bargaining."
Update? Update? Who the f*** needs an update?

Bettman: We haven't spoken to them in 3 months. They're starting to sweat now. I'm sure they know we mean business . Pass the broccoli Bill.

Muckler: What's our next step, Gary? Hey who's hoarding the mashed potatoes?

Bettman: We wait till they come crawling back begging to play. Until then, we won't even talk to them.

GM's: Hear! Hear! Bettman ...Bettman ...Bettman ...Bettman...

Daly: Hey, pass those cubans around.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Kickabrat said:
[url="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041119.wbett19/BNStory/Sports/"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041119.wbett19/BNStory/Sports/[/url]

Update? Update? Who the f*** needs an update?

Bettman: We haven't spoken to them in 3 months. They're starting to sweat now. I'm sure they know we mean business . Pass the broccoli Bill.

Muckler: What's our next step, Gary? Hey who's hoarding the mashed potatoes?

Bettman: We wait till they come crawling back begging to play. Until then, we won't even talk to them.

GM's: Hear! Hear! Bettman ...Bettman ...Bettman ...Bettman...

Daly: Hey, pass those cubans around.

Exactly, there is nothing to update them on. Although I think the point of the meeting is to counter the PA's meeting with the agents.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
puck you said:
Exactly, there is nothing to update them on. Although I think the point of the meeting is to counter the PA's meeting with the agents.
IMO, Bettman should meet with the owners to counter the NHLPA meeting with the Player Reps. Then he should meet with the coaches to pre-empt the the publicity when the NHLPA meets with the players' spouses. Then Bettman should meet with the team trainers. God forbid he should actually meet with the NHLPA! What would he say..."It's cold out so I wore this toque because I didn't want to offend you by wearing a cap!"

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Kickabrat said:
IMO, Bettman should meet with the owners to counter the NHLPA meeting with the Player Reps. Then he should meet with the coaches to pre-empt the the publicity when the NHLPA meets with the players' spouses. Then Bettman should meet with the team trainers. God forbid he should actually meet with the NHLPA! What would he say..."It's cold out so I wore this toque because I didn't want to offend you by wearing a cap!"

:D. Yup, instead of wasting time and money meeting with everyone else, why won't the two sides meet with each other?

Sooner or later, some die hard hockey fan is going to kidnap Goodenow and Bettman, lock them in a dingy hotel room with a pen and a pad of paper, and not let them out until a deal is done, and if that was to occur, that person would be a GOD I tell you, a damn GOD. :madfire:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
puck you said:
:D. Yup, instead of wasting time and money meeting with everyone else, why won't the two sides meet with each other?

Sooner or later, some die hard hockey fan is going to kidnap Goodenow and Bettman, lock them in a dingy hotel room with a pen and a pad of paper, and not let them out until a deal is done...

I'm on my way! ;) I wish it could be done, but something tells me it won't be that simple. I think the NHL wants to bust the union.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
This should tell you all you need to know about the owners' position:

"The season is likely to slip away," [Bettman] said during an exclusive interview with Canadian cable sports network TSN. "Whether or not we miss half a season or three-quarters of a season, or don't have a season at all -- that is not the issue from our standpoint," Bettman said. "We need a deal that is the right deal to address the problems and let us go forward. When we make that deal, when it is all signed up, we initial it, dot the i's, cross the t's, we both ratify it. Then if there is time for the semblance of a season, we'll have one.

If not, we'll see you next season or whenever."

I'm sick of these people treating us like dirt. First they make tickets so expensive that few of us can afford to go by ourselves to see a hockey game--let alone take our families--then they take away our sport altogether so we can't even watch it on tv. :madfire:

jacketracket*

I wonder whether this is the "Doomsday" meeting, where they decide to officially announce the scrapping of this season in order to show that "they mean business".

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Foppa_Rules said:
I'm sick of these people treating us like dirt. First they make tickets so expensive that few of us can afford to go by ourselves to see a hockey game--let alone take our families--then they take away our sport altogether so we can't even watch it on tv. :madfire:

It's far beyone their power to take the sport away, they can only take away the NHL.

HckyFght*

jacketracket said:
I wonder whether this is the "Doomsday" meeting, where they decide to officially announce the scrapping of this season in order to show that "they mean business".

One can only hope it's a strategy and admin meeting to set dates for tryouts for replacements and the resumption of play.
-HckyFght!

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
jacketracket said:

Thats what I was thinking, they may be consulting with the GM's, and informing them a drop dead date for the cancellation of the season, in order to make sure they know that beyond that date, regular GM duties during the season are most likely not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad